• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso idle adjustment - idling at 2000 RPM

hugzy said:
My Idle is quite high but I put a little plastic tap from a beer brewing set into the hose that goes to the stepper motor, you can find the hose just behind the left hand throttle body, about 15 mm thick, if you pull it off the air box to block the hose put some sort of cap over the pipe you pulled the hose off of. When I start the bike I open the tap and close it when it's warm.

How about a pic of the beer tap installed?

Here's a picture of my beer tap, I checked the bypass screws yestoday and they were both open, one 1/2 a turn and the other 3/4 so I closed them both 1/2 a turn and the idle was much better strait away. I checked the vacuum and at 3000 rpm it was fine and at idle i just closed the other screw 1/4 turn and the vacuum was fine, so both bypass screws are closed now and my idle is perfect, about 1100 rpm. So it's worth checking those bypass screws as the dealers over here haven't adjusted them properly. Just note how many turns they are turned out and you can always put them back if there is no improvement.

stepmotap.jpg

Sorry to bug you hugzy. But what and where are the bypass screws located? Picture? The picture of the beer tap valve is great, but it sounds unnecessary now given your "bypass screw" adjustment. I'm just confused now as to exactly what you did to get the idle right.

The Breva general service manual will show you where the bypass screws are located. You can download it from the downloads tab above.

I fired up the Griso last week. And just like I thought it might, my idle was hanging at 2000 rpm. :angry: So, being prepared to test the stepper motor as the fault, I used a set of pliers to pinch the hose and the idle dropped to about 1000 rpm!

Knowing now that this is the source of my problem, I set out to find a universal fuel supply valve (I hate the word petcock, BTW). After searching Home Depot and several auto supply chains, I located one at Lowe's. It is the perfect unit for this in my opinion, but definitely not a stealth part. Too bad it's red not black [might be worth painting the red to black so it doesn't visually stick out so much]. $10.99 and includes clamps and a hose, which I didn't need.

Installation was quick, since I already had the hose re-routed. Not a time consuming task to move, but... I removed the left side panel so I could get a good look at the job. I chose this spot in the hose because it was straight, out of the way of intake and in a convenient place to use. I sat on the bike and oriented the fuel tap both ways to see in what position the valve would be easiest to shut off while seated on the bike.

Once I did all that, I snipped the hose at the center point of the valve in the position I wanted. Slipped the hose ends over the fuel tap ends. Done.

Thanks for all that posted about this easy fix. Now I have what is like a "choke" on the bike...old school. ;) But the only question I have now is, "Why the hell does the stepper motor fail in this regard and what is the correct fix?"

Attachments

• step.jpg
    step.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 702
  • step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 694
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 702
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 702
I'm pleased to say that this has been working well on the Griso. Even if the bike is parked for 10 minutes, I still find turning on the stepper via air flow to the tap beneficial to starting. But soon after you shut the tap off and it runs perfectly. I have been riding the bike for about a week now and there has been zero high revving issues. B)

jdelv said:
Sorry to bug you hugzy. But what and where are the bypass screws located? Picture? The picture of the beer tap valve is great, but it sounds unnecessary now given your "bypass screw" adjustment. I'm just confused now as to exactly what you did to get the idle right.

Hi Jdelv, on the photo I posted with the beer tap on it you can see the molding on the throttle body with the numbers on it, the bypass screws are in those hollow moldings, using a short flat screw driver in the bottom of the molding you can adjust the bypass screws. At least one of the bypass screws should be closed, in my case I had perfect balance with both bypass screws closed. First count the number of turns that the screws are opened ( you can always put them back) then close them both, balance the TB at 3000 rpm and then adjust the bypass screws at idle to get the best vacuum balance.

jdelv said:
I'm pleased to say that this has been working well on the Griso.
And I'm pleased to read about the second adaptation of this mod. Should I experience a drifting idle, I will certainly put this mod into action. Maybe some black Krylon on the valve handle? It looks smart in red though.

jdelv said:
I'm pleased to say that this has been working well on the Griso.
And I'm pleased to read about the second adaptation of this mod. Should I experience a drifting idle, I will certainly put this mod into action. Maybe some black Krylon on the valve handle? It looks smart in red though.

I would think the plastic valves some have used will last a while, but the $12 fuel valve I used was made of metal, smaller, and generally better suited to the application in my opinion.
Either way, it is not a mod everybody needs to do but if you have stepper motor issues it can resolve them as well as improve the throttle response for those that don't like the stock set up.

GuzziMoto said:
Either way, it is not a mod everybody needs to do but if you have stepper motor issues it can resolve them as well as improve the throttle response for those that don't like the stock set up.

I'm quite happy to believe that it does. I just can't see how? The amount of air flowed by the stepper is very small. I wouldn't of thought it would have a significant effect on engine braking??

Pete

If the stepper has been blocked or an off on valve installed,should you turn the valve off,stepper blocked,to set low speed throttle idle sync after temp hits 60c? Hope my question is clear.

pete roper said:
GuzziMoto said:

I'm quite happy to believe that it does. I just can't see how? The amount of air flowed by the stepper is very small. I wouldn't of thought it would have a significant effect on engine braking??

Pete
Yes, the amount of air the stepper adds is small, but so is the amount of air added when you have a vacuum leak. Yet that can cause the response to a closed throttle to hang. Back when I owned a Buell X-1 (great bike, when it was running right) a mechanic set the idle just a little higher then normal. That alone was enough to be felt when you closed the throttle. The reduction in engine braking was definitely noticeable. Also, just having lean jetting can cause a slow return to idle. And really that is what the stepper appears to be doing when you close the throttle. It is adding air leaning out the mixture. That slows the return to idle. With the manual valve I can turn that function on and off so it is easy to see and feel the difference.

duc said:
If the stepper has been blocked or an off on valve installed,should you turn the valve off,stepper blocked,to set low speed throttle idle sync after temp hits 60c? Hope my question is clear.
Since the supply lines from the stepper to the throttle bodies Tee together there should not be difference one way or the other. The two throttle bodies are Tee'd together and then the single line runs to the stepper motor. Most, if not all, of the mods to turn off the stepper motor do so by stopping the air flow to the stepper from the air box. So it does not effect the connection between the two throttle bodies. But if you have the valve installed and are syncing the throttle bodies (I have not yet done that since I installed my valve, one of the hazards of too many bikes) then I would suggest you try it both ways and see if it makes a difference.

Re: Griso idle adj - idling at 2000 - NEW! rough starting

I don't believe this new issue is related to the stepper valve I installed.

When I installed my battery last week or so ago, the Griso fired up first crank. My vstrom took some coaxing. Riding each of them regularly over the week they have both started first crank. I've been experimenting with Griso starts with and without the new valve on and off. It definitely likes starting better with the valve opened, and seems to like running after warmup better with the valve closed.

Yesterday I went to start the Griso after work and it didn't want to start. Would crank but not turn over. So I added throttle and it did start. I wasn't happy about it. Left work to go to teach an hour-long class at a different employer. After that class the Griso fired right up. This morning I rolled the Griso out of the garage and it was finicky to start again. I very much disliked the noises I heard coming from the bike as it failed to start after getting near starting. :angry:

WTF? All I did differently over the week was add 2 gallons of 93 octane to the winter-treated gas. We'll see what happens today when I go to leave work. Also, once it's running it runs like a top...fuel injection seems correct.

I might just have to take this bike with only 4900 miles on it to the dealer. Why would this be happening to a bike with such low mileage? Hopefully the previous owner didn't mess with it or something. Can't see why they would do that.

Thanks.

UPDATE: this was never a problem again, with the difficult starting. I always use my valve to start, it starts right up, I shut off valve. Works flawlessly.

GuzziMoto said:
Yeah, that sounds like the typical stuck stepper issue.
That is the reason I added a valve to turn mine off and others have added Todd's electric valve.
It could have been a one off fluke and never happen again. Many people do not have issues with it. Or you could be like others who have that issue on a regular basis.

I've decided to add a turn-off valve also. I found a really nice metal valve from Parts Unlimited (about $11) that I thought I'd share:

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 510
That looks to be the same valve I used. Info and pics on install are posted in the stepper valve delete thread.

GuzziMoto said:
That looks to be the same valve I used. Info and pics on install are posted in the stepper valve delete thread.

I found the thread, but you didn't mention whether you had to pull the fuel tank to reroute the hose from the stepper to the air box. I can see extra hose in there to allow it to route outside the TB, but it needs to be reoriented and I can't really see how get to it from the side, even with the wing off. Maybe I just have fat fingers...

Back