• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso idle adjustment - idling at 2000 RPM

I had a bit of idling and backfarting on my Griso, my good pal Pete Roper sent me a new set of Griso Throttle Bodies gratis to address the problem. this guy is too much. Pete is the real deal!

Jlyon99 said:
GuzziMoto said:
That looks to be the same valve I used. Info and pics on install are posted in the stepper valve delete thread.

I found the thread, but you didn't mention whether you had to pull the fuel tank to reroute the hose from the stepper to the air box. I can see extra hose in there to allow it to route outside the TB, but it needs to be reoriented and I can't really see how get to it from the side, even with the wing off. Maybe I just have fat fingers...
I may have been able to do it with the tank in place but as I recall I undid the tank bolts and lifted the rear of the tank, not only to do what I did but to look over the system because at the time I was making it up as I went along. I did not go into it with a plan and I was not sure how it was going to work out. I was able to leave the tank connect fuel line wise and just lift the rear of the tank to allow me to see what I was doing. You probably could do it without lifing the tank but it is only four bolts.....

GuzziMoto said:
Jlyon99 said:
GuzziMoto said:
That looks to be the same valve I used. Info and pics on install are posted in the stepper valve delete thread.

I found the thread, but you didn't mention whether you had to pull the fuel tank to reroute the hose from the stepper to the air box. I can see extra hose in there to allow it to route outside the TB, but it needs to be reoriented and I can't really see how get to it from the side, even with the wing off. Maybe I just have fat fingers...
I may have been able to do it with the tank in place but as I recall I undid the tank bolts and lifted the rear of the tank, not only to do what I did but to look over the system because at the time I was making it up as I went along. I did not go into it with a plan and I was not sure how it was going to work out. I was able to leave the tank connect fuel line wise and just lift the rear of the tank to allow me to see what I was doing. You probably could do it without lifing the tank but it is only four bolts.....

Thanks. I think I'll wind up doing he same. I can't even find a schematic for the stepper piping, so I want to confirm what I'm looking at before I start cutting.

First of all - thanks to all that contributed here...saved me a lot troubleshooting! Over the last couple of months, the fast idle issue has been getting worse from occasional to constant on my 2007 Griso. For now, I just have the stepper motor hose plugged and all's well, but I need to manually rev the bike when first started to keep it from stalling.

GuzziMoto - did you get your valve locally in Baltimore area? I can't seem to find the metal Parts Unlimited valve you used or the plastic one jdevl used from Lowes?

Has anyone actually replaced their stepper motor? Was it difficult and is the part readily available?

Thanks again!

Do you get a lot of oil in your drain tube ? Why I ask is it sounds like your TB's air bleed orifices might be dirty with oil mist residue . The way you described the issue as progressively getting worse. The solution is just do not fill the sump as high with oil there is no need to keep the level at or above the fill mark.

draidt said:
Do you get a lot of oil in your drain tube ? Why I ask is it sounds like your TB's air bleed orifices might be dirty with oil mist residue . The way you described the issue as progressively getting worse. The solution is just do not fill the sump as high with oil there is no need to keep the level at or above the fill mark.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check, but I don't think so. I did spray some carb cleaner into the Stepper motor hose (as suggested by Pete Roper) but it didn't help at all.

It should be remembered that Guzzi recommend removing and thoroughly cleaning the throttle bodies every 10,000 km.

This is IMHO completely un-necessaryroviding, as I may of mentioned before, the oil level is not kept at the 'Full' mark on the stick and the engine has been broken in properly.

If the oil is continually topped up it will simply get blown into the air box and will foul the butterflies causing them not to close properly. (Have you tried manually pushing the linkage to close the butterfly? If you do this and the idle drops its a sure fire indicator that the TB's are manked up and the spring pressure is insufficient to push them closed through the varnish that has built up.)

Clean the TB's thoroughly, off the bike, and then re-install and tune. Don't over-fill the sump.

Pete

Finally got my shutoff valve installed. Re-routed the hose as suggested by jdelv and cut were I wanted the valve to go, no extra hose needed. I used the same Parts Unlimited quarter turn fuel shutoff valve that GuzziMoto used...works fine. Now I have a manual "choke"! :lol: Still curious if anyone has replaced the stepper motor to really fix the issue?

Thanks again to jdelv for shutoff valve idea and thanks to Pete and Dan for the troubleshooting suggestions.

i-vNM9Brx-L.jpg

I know I may get some back talk on this, but there are two items on the Griso that must be "Recalled" by Guzzi/Piaggio.
Those two items are, the "Stepper Motor" which is trash from day one. They usually fail from 0 miles to up to 12000 miles. This is a safety hazard & can cause an accident.
Second, the junk they call a "Dash". Another piece of trash needed to be recalled. Here again they can go bad right off the showroom floor up to 12,000 miles. Very few have made it past. It is another dangerous item if it fails while traveling down the motorway. It fails you lose the engine. It stops running. Needs to be "Recalled".
Griso owners that are or have experienced both these problems need to raise heck with the dealer or better yet Piaggio/Guzzi.
They are very away of these items failing but they are too ignorant to do anything about it.
I love the Guzzi's however I would have to be hard pressed to buy another newer model.
Good luck, I wish you the best.

I've yet to have a problem with a stepper motor. What makes you think that they all go wrong? As for dashes? I've replaced a grand total of one, that was on my very early 1100.

What is your bike doing that makes you think there is a problem with the stepper? All it does really is ensure a steady idle. As for the dash? I've yet to hear of a failed one stopping the engine dead? Who is performing the service and diagnosis on your bike?

Pete

I've got well over 45,000 miles spread over two GRiSOs and I too have never had a problem with either the dash or the stepper motors. Likewise, of the dozen or so GRiSOs I'm acquainted with here in Seattle, I have never seen nor heard of these problems.

Are there many GRiSO owners going under the handle Schleprock?

17116cdd_schleprock.jpg

Back