• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso med windscreen doesn't quite fit. :(

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
After waiting 6 weeks; my med windscreen Part No: 977694 finally arrived.
977694-234-1-120.jpg

Larger photo here: http://www.trimmer.org/~eric/images/griso/windscreens/977694-234-1-800.jpg

But I encountered difficulties when attempting to install it.
The holes in the support brackets don't line up with the mounting locations on the headlamp and upper triple clamp.
The holes are almost 1/4 inch too far apart.
Is it typical for factory Guzzi accessories to not fit correctly ?

I don't see any possible adjustments to move the headlamp and upper triple clamp further away from each other.
So before I begin modifying the brackets by drilling or filing the holes.
I thought I ask here and see if anyone else encountered this same issue.
If so; what did you do as a fix ?

That's weird - mine went in with no problems whatsoever.
Could you post pics showing the issue?

You only waited 6 weeks? I ordered one when I bought my Griso back in the first week of January and I still haven't received it! However, I did find one on ebay and had it in 10 days. :D

Anyhoo, I had the exact same problem as you - the holes would not line up with the headlamp and upper triple clamp. To get it to fit, I loosened the screws holding the headlamp bracket to the lower triple clamp so the bracket was quite loose (do not remove the screws, just loosen them). I then was able to fit the screen support brackets without any problems. I then nipped all the screws by hand (including the headlamp bracket screws) before a final torque. You can access the headlamp bracket screw from underneath the lower triple clamp.

Try this before drilling/filing anything.

Mark

Ok I got it mounted.
I had to do as you suggested and totally loosen the headlamp assembly.
It was still a tight fit. But it worked.

Here's how far misaligned the brackets were:
P3230284.JPG
P3230285.JPG

And here's what's it looks like once mounted:
P3230287.JPG
P3230288.JPG

P3230289.JPG
P3230290.JPG

I feel as though it somewhat destroys the overall style of the Griso.
But if it improves MPG by keeping the wind blast off my chest while traveling the interstate and helps protect the instruments. Then it's worth it.
At the very least; it'll add some warmth next winter.

I received it in only six weeks. Because I ordered it from http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/moto_guzzi_gri ... ries.shtml
and they in turn had to order it directly from Guzzi in Italy.
So it traveled from Italy, to the UK, then to the USA.
And btw; I got excellent service from Maxmoto.

Thanks everyone !
--ET

Hi Ett,

I'm pleased to see you got it mounted and it looks ok to me.
But how does it perform? Do you get clear air around your head?
I once fitted an after market screen and could never get rid of the buffetting. I threw it away in the end.

Regards,Mark.

I just took my Griso out for a run for the first time since fitting the screen. I was stunned at the difference it made. I could comfortably sit on 125 - 130kmh (75 - 80mph) without buffeting and a short stint at 145kmh (90mph) was OK. I think cruising at legal speeds of 100 - 115kmh (60 - 70mph) would be a snack.

Mark

There is a lot of flexibility in how you can angle the screen by playing with the mounting slots. I have mine fairly upright and it works very well as a deflector although it doesn't look quite as 'Stylish' as it does if its angled back more.

As for comfort at relative speeds? I find that anything up to about 140KPH/85-90MPH is quite tollerable ant that is 'Go to Gaol' territory here. Quasi-legal speeds of 105-115KPH involve no stress with the screen but very little without it. I find about 130KPH to be just about the ideal touring speed but if they catch you doing that they'll take away your licence on the spot.

Pete

ett. Forget the bloody screen and gives us a decent look at 421, both of them.

Pete. We live in a nana state up here to. I'm happy to ride naked (the bike that is) as a means of guaging speed.
Every time I ride somebodies fully faired sports tourer, I tend to cruise on the high side of 200k, oblivious to the blurred scenery.

It's probably why other peoples bikes don't go around corners as easy as mine, something to do with the warp(ed) factor. :roll:

My brackets fit right on without issue. I remember being impressed with the overall ease of fitting it. I also really like the screen and think it looks great on the bike. My only issue is that it has a lot of light coming up from the headlight between the sheild and the intruments. I had to get used to that aspect of it. I'm thinking a short strip of edging across the bottom would help eliminate the light bounce.

All the best,

Mark

Chicago Mark said:
I also really like the screen and think it looks great on the bike.

I agree. I think it looks pretty good and definitely doesn't detract from it's appearance.

I just got back from taking a first ride with the windscreen.
As expected; it's going to take a bit of trial-and-error to get it's adjustment correct.
I felt a lot of buffeting near my neck. It kinda felt akin to riding my gsxr.
It will probably take a couple of weeks to determine if it improves or reduces fuel economy.
And if I keep using it or remove it until next Winter.

Now as for those 421's you want to see.
There are actually three of them in there.
And there is also one recently totaled gsxr street bike.
They are all Suzukis. Only the yellow one is running.

The 421 you see on the right is my '86 GSXR750R Limited Edition.
My first gsxr and first race bike.
It's currently a basket case. After two years on the street and three years on the track; the dry clutch died.
And at a replacement cost of nearly $150 per plate. And there being 13 plates. I never fixed it.
So that bike died a long slow death sitting in the corner of the garage for nearly 15 years.
Here is a photo of it in better times:
nelson.jpg

The 421 that you can't see in the garage. Is my '89 gs500.
It was my second race bike.
It too died a slow death sitting in the garage.
Back in the late 90's. I screwed up and forgot to drain the race gas out of the tank one winter.
Which totally destroyed the carbs; causing all the gas to drain out of the gas tank and fill the entire engine with gas.
I started it the following spring and a mixture of gas and oil started spewing out of the breather hose. Oops !
Oh well; I bought the bike used for only $800. And by the time I bought it; it had already been crashed three times by the previous owner.
Once on the street into a pond and twice on the track. Including crashing into the wall at Rockingham NC.
Even after all that I still got five seasons of racing out of it.
Here is a couple of photos of it in better times:
gnf_s.jpg

gs500001_m.jpg

And the crashed gsxr that you can barely make out in the garage.
Is my recently crashed '00 gsxr750.
You can read more about it if you Google for "GSXR 258,653 - Deer 0 (Caution may be graphic)".
Or just head over to sport-touring.net and search for the same.
I assume by what I said to search for; that you can guess what happened.
So here is a couple of sad photos:
PA180210.JPG

PA180213.JPG

PA180216.JPG

Now for the only one of those Suzukis still running.
It's my current race bike; a '04 sv650s.
Here is a couple of photos of it at the track:
04116_INT_100911.jpg

04091_INT_100911.jpg

p4190099_s.jpg

Sorry for blabbing about Suzukis on a Guzzi forum.
But as you can see. Before buying this Griso back in Dec. I was very Suzuki orientated.

Next farkle to add to my Griso after this windscreen; is a Stebel horn.

Resurrecting an old thread as I am having a related (but not quite the same) problem.

Instead of being too far away, the mounting holes on my bike are too close (about 1/4 inch).

Any ideas? Don't think loosening the headlight bracket would work for my issue.

Thanks,
Matt

After waiting 6 weeks; my med windscreen Part No: 977694 finally arrived.
977694-234-1-120.jpg

Larger photo here: http://www.trimmer.org/~eric/images/griso/windscreens/977694-234-1-800.jpg

But I encountered difficulties when attempting to install it.
The holes in the support brackets don't line up with the mounting locations on the headlamp and upper triple clamp.
The holes are almost 1/4 inch too far apart.
Is it typical for factory Guzzi accessories to not fit correctly ?

I don't see any possible adjustments to move the headlamp and upper triple clamp further away from each other.
So before I begin modifying the brackets by drilling or filing the holes.
I thought I ask here and see if anyone else encountered this same issue.
If so; what did you do as a fix ?

Resurrecting an old thread as I am having a related (but not quite the same) problem.

Instead of being too far away, the mounting holes on my bike are too close (about 1/4 inch).

Any ideas? Don't think loosening the headlight bracket would work for my issue.

Thanks,
Matt

Loosening the headlight bracket is probably the only bolt-on solution.
I'd give it a try.

Congrats on the purchase ! ;)

Back