• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GRISO MPG

Aldi

Just got it firing!
My Griso 1100 does a shameful 36.4 miles per UK gallon (c 30.3 miles per US gallon). Whilst the 1100 has an oil cooler, the Griso 850 does not. Does the 1100 really need one in the UK's cool climate? If you're not caning it, is the oil cooler causing it to run on the rich side? Do any Guzzisti live in Washington State where the climate is reputedly similar ie lots of rain?

I admit that I don't know much about engines, and even less about the specifics of Guzzi engines (learning more from this board though, Thanks Todd), but how would an oil cooler cause it to run rich? I could see if the same air used for the oil cooler was going into the intake (warmer, or at a restricted rate), but this is not the case.

Chris

Aldi wrote:
My Griso 1100 does a shameful 36.4 miles per UK gallon (c 30.3 miles per US gallon). Whilst the 1100 has an oil cooler, the Griso 850 does not. Does the 1100 really need one in the UK's cool climate? If you're not caning it, is the oil cooler causing it to run on the rich side? Do any Guzzisti live in Washington State where the climate is reputedly similar ie lots of rain?

Yes the oil cooler is beneficial in any climate. It is thermostatically controlled so it isn't impacting your fuel mileage.

Troll the posting on this and the Breva forum. Thermal mastic under the engine temp sensor helps as does having the throttle bodies set up correctly. Graham has posted an excellent thread on the procedure. You must have access to VDSTS or an Axone to perform the TB sync. Also check the procedure here: https://www.guzzitech.com/MGGriso/Manual ... iceMan.pdf

Aldi wrote:

How many miles do you have the bike? MPG will be erratic for at least 1,000 miles and slowly improve. I have about 10,000 miles on my B11 and get slightly better than 40 MPG US.

My MPG definitely improved after a few thousand miles. Never the less I can still get it well below 40mpg if I'm having too much fun. On the other hand on a sedate ride on Welsh motorways (*) in the company of old classic clunkers I can nearly get as good as 50mpg.

(* Welsh motorways = remote rural single track roads with grass growing thru' the tarmac in the middle)

On the 8V I get avg 42mpg (UK gallons that is) between fill ups. and am running in.
Did this as a check to see if the on board computer measures in US or UK gallons - and with mid 30s MPG showing then these had to be US gallons.-
Of course with only 500 miles on the clock it is still quite tight and I expect an improvement after a couple of thousand miles.
This is also with a Termi rather than standard silencer.
Cheers
Gordon
PS like Will I also have Ercole but haven't yet moved to Wales.

For what it's worth, on my 1100 the computer quoted MPG was understating the actual by 8 MPG. I had brought this up on the old forum but nobody really had much to say about it.

dloftus wrote:
For what it's worth, on my 1100 the computer quoted MPG was understating the actual by 8 MPG. I had brought this up on the old forum but nobody really had much to say about it.

Mine consistently reads 5-8MPG below actual.

After the service my Norge dropped from av. 45mpg (US) to mid thirties on the display.
I changed the air filter as the sump had been overfilld. this made a difference, but not enough.
A couple of days ago I finally got round to checking the sync in the throttle bodies with my water manometer.
I found that although they were close at tickover, they were considerably out at 3k, like about 12 inches.
Had to adjust the linkage by about a full turn to get it right. Then reset with VDST.
Went out yesterday, and within a few miles the av. reading was 47 mpg. So a result there.
But then I got stuck in heavy traffic, and it dropped right down. Never improved much thereafter, even though conditions omproved.
But I then flicked it to actual consumption, and found it was reading between 50 and 60mpg (US) most of the time.

Has anyone noticed that the average reading is flawed when the bike is stationary? The computer seems to see fuel being used, but no speed, thus fuel consumption is almost infinite in miles per gallon. Certainly running the bike stationary drops the average reading by up to 1/3 on my bike.

The only real test is the amount of fuel put in to top up the tank over the distance travelled.
And make sure the throttle bodies are mechanically in sync.

I must admit I had got a perhaps a little too focused on the instant mpg figures my 'puter was giving, as well as those for overall. These being typically mid 30s. I was figuring that I could be running a two stroke triple from the big K for better than that. I'm not usually that heavy handed, and the bike is a 4v with around 3k miles now.

And then this didn't seem to stack up at the pumps where I was getting around 10 miles per litre, much the same as a Speed Triple and preceding Bandit 12.

Interested that others see what appears to be a significant under reading, after all how far should it be out? But then we see that observation:

"Did this as a check to see if the on board computer measures in US or UK gallons - and with mid 30s MPG showing then these had to be US gallons ..."

Which perhaps explains everything.

On my 07 Griso, I am getting on average US 42.5 with city and highway combo. The most I had acheived was 51.1 going to Yuma Marine Corps Air Station, all highway and at 80mph+.

Thanks Will, my last measured mpg was indeed on Welsh motorways, including the no-tarmac, loose-shale one over the shoulder of Moel Llanfair (see pic). This sort of going does wonders for the slop in the transmission. Good trail bikes these G11s.............

Thanks, guys. Of the various suggestions put forward to explain poor mpg, my first inclination was to look at Gordon's contention of a mix-up between UK and US gallons.

If Gordon is correct, my reading of 36.4 gallons per mile, if actually US gallons, would translate to about 43.7 UK gallons per mile which fits in, more or less, with results from Cyclobutch, dloftus et al. Over the next few journeys, I'll see how 43.7 compares with actual fuel put into the tank. Of course, whether even 44 mpg or thereabouts should be acceptable in this day and age of dwindling resources is another matter. I used to get high 40s/low 50s out of my Pan ST1100 ten years ago.

Incidentally, you may already be aware that Guzzi made at least one other imperial/metric faux pas - the Owners Book Page 52 says run-in is 930 miles but the Workshop Manual Page 24 says 621 miles. The metric distance given in both Manuals is 1500km which works out on my calculator to 932 miles. Also, the Owners Books calls for 10W60 oil at Page 85 whereas the Workshop Manual calls for 5W40 at Page 26.............. Good init?

I thought it was fairly universally known that the average fuel consumption readout was calibrated in US gallons. Same on all the 5AM bikes.
It is also the case that the av. on the computer will be way below actual, as measured by fuel used over distance recorded.
This seems to be that when you stop at a road junction or whatever, the computer sees fuel being used, but no distance recorded, so adjusts the average figure accordingly.
If you don't believe me, just look at the average figure, leave the bike idling for a couple of minutes, and look at the av. figure again.

Sorry, Brian UK, I did not share this knowledge. However, I've been out today and from full tank to full tank over 120 miles got 42.7 miles per UK gallon, according to the pump at the filling station. This does indeed support the view that the computer mpg is measured in US gallons. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the computer said because the pushbutton no longer scrolls the menu. See my reply in Dickie Bird's "Menu Switch" thread. What a bike!

Well, double.d, I reckon your 4.8 litres per 100 km works out at 59 mpg (UK) or 49 mpg (US). That's amazing. Are you sure?

I hate it when people say " are you sure " :S makes me think i'm telling fibs :eek:hmy: . I did a few hundred k's yesterday so i'll check and get back to you.

Sorry, double d, no offence intended. You didn't tell us how you arrived at 4.8l/100km. If it was by manual calculation, it could involve an error. I know how easy it is to make an error because I converted your consumption wrongly at my first attempt, having read the wrong column in a table of imperial/metric conversions. At least I did the calc for you, as you requested.

Back