• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso must-have maintenance accessories

jdelv

Tuned and Synch'ed
For owners of Grisos that like to do their own work, what would current owners suggest one has immediately after purchase?

Besides the specialized bike stand from overseas, what else do I need to have in the garage? What kind of fastener tools will I need besides allen wrenches and metric sockets?

Thanks

-Jon

Hi,

start with common sense... :eek:
Than: books, time, Guzzitech forum... more time... :mrgreen:
laptop... and some software. :idea: cup of coffee. B)
My Griso is for me the my first bike where my wifes laptop is necessary :whistle:
But it's fun.
That's a bit to start with (just kidding).

Ad B

A 14-flats oil filter wrench (for the OEM UFI filter) - assuming your bike doesn't have one of the old 8-flats UFI on it, in which case it may turn out to be a bit tricky finding a suitable wrench to get the darn thing off...

Welcome Jon :mrgreen:

You’ve already possess it.

As Ad B said, Guzzitech is/will be the best tool you need during your Griso ownership.

Phang

I'm all for home made tools but I absolutely love the Carbmate electronic carb/TB balancer very accurate and no need to hang it up!
Not sure about the newer guzzis but the old ones came with the tappet adjusting tool in the tool kit. It's a small flat bar with a short line cut through one end. I'm still using the same one after 30 years. You can probably make one. Other than that and the oil filter socket, and laptop with VDSTS all other tools are standard for tune ups and regular maintenance.
6 inch long allen sockets work great for removing the valve cover on the Breva, regular ones work on the Stelvio. Take a look and see how accessible the bolts are on the Griso.

'well nuts' for when you screw up one of those rubber mounted brass insert things that hold the wings on. They are called well nuts. I was only able to find metric ones on a cali sport touring site.

I had the wrong oil filter wrench. Poke 2 holes in the bottom of the filter, use 90 degree needle nose to get filter off.

I've just gone and created my own "special" Griso tool box. My sockets only go up to 19mm, but this is what I've come up with:

8mm ring/open end
10mm ring/open end, 1/2 moon & socket
13mm ring/open end, 1/2 moon & socket
14mm ring/open end & socket
15mm ring/open end & socket
17mm ring/open end & socket
19mm ring/open end, 1/2 moon, flare & socket
22mm ring/open end & fare
30mm ring/open end
32mm ring/open end
68mm-75mm C Hook spanner (rear suspension adjustment)
Feeler gauge

3, 4, 5, 6 & 8mm Hex keys (couldn't find a 10 but it might be hidden within the beast somewhere)

The Guzzi oil filter removal tool (original) is a 3/8" drive.

Apart from the other normal items in the tool box (pliers, feeler gauge, screwdriver, spanner) I also have a chop stick (finding TDC), the black, rubber coated wire thing that came with the original tool pouch (what is it?). Anyway, I use that for removing the lead from the plug so as to avoid damage. Slip one end of the wire underneath the lead, then wriggle both ends of the wire down towards the head of the lead and then pull gently upwards away from plug. A spare set of well nuts (black plastic enclosed over nut which is located on the forward most position of the frame where the side panels above the cylinder heads fit). Oh, and I only have a stubby cooler in there as well.

I am open to any further suggestions/comments (polite or otherwise) :woohoo:

Hi,

standard tools are easy for me, I'm living in metric country...
But with sizes 6-8-10-13-(15-)17-19-22 sometimes 24-27-30-32 mm we can demolisch nearly everything.
From my 14th I'm collecting tools. Damm, that's allready about 39 years... :whistle:
So I have tools from 4 till 42 mm.
Most of them in sockets and ring, and several in open end.
Hex keys from 1.5 till 16 mm.
What you need for a European bike.
M4 = 7 mm socket or 3mm Hex
M5 = 8 mm or 4 mm hex
M6 = 10 mm or 5 mm Hex
M8 = 13 mm or 7 mm Hex
M10 = 17 mm or 8 mm Hex
M12 = 19 mm or 10 mm Hex
I have a Carbtune for tuning carbs and throttle bodys.
I use Ducatidiag on a laptop for the Guzzi, nosing around and setting TPS.
With these tools you can remove 95% from your motor bike and hopefully put it back on...

After 20 years Harley and 15 years old Chevy I also have a lot of inch tools.
My tools aren't professional ones, just hobby quality. Not expensive and easy to get. B)
That's good enough when you don't work with it day in, day out. When it's not your job.
In the nearly 40 years of learning in this world, I've broken maybe about 4 or 5 things. :huh:

Learn step by step, buy step by step. Use this forum to learn and all will come to a good end (if there is...).
Ad B

myke8329 said:
Oh, and I only have a stubby cooler in there as well.

OK, I know I've been suckered into this, but I'll bite. "Stubby cooler?"

Nice thread, btw.

Presume all of these that you and others suggest are garage tools, not for "on the road."

I have noticed the "toolkit evolution" in my own riding.

With my '98 EV, I carried enough equipment to do depot-level maintenance. With my Ballabio, less, and with the Norge, unless I am going solo for long distances "too far to tow home," a quite small set.

Probably even more confident with the Griso, but the capacious built-in storage compartment on the Griso has me rethinking, tho. :whistle:

Bill

At

Bill Hagan said:
myke8329 said:
Probably even more confident with the Griso, but the capacious built-in storage compartment on the Griso has me rethinking, tho. :whistle:
Capacious storage compartment on the Griso? Where?
I assume you're not talking about the one on the underside of the saddle...

Bill,

A stubby cooler is the thing you put your "stubby" (bottle of beer) into to keep it cold. When it's not in use - and this should be very rarely - I use it to hold various zip ties, electrical tape, spare fuses, etc. I'm not sure what you call them in the US.

Also you may want to include the following;

pin punch (diameter wide enough so as to extract rear brake caliper pin)
ball-pein hammer
plastic-faced hammer
side cutters (removal of zip ties)
Large vice-grips

For "on-the-road kit" I've got a quality 13mm ring/open end spanner, the small hex keys (in the original tool pouch), 150mm shifting spanner/wrench, pin punch, the screw driver (in the original tool pouch), and a medium-sized Leatherman (pliers, wire cutter and knife). The original pair of pliers that come with kit I've taken out. I've also got an emergency tyre repair kit that I carry in my bag (single-use, compressed-gas bottle & plugs). The pliers that come with that I've taken out. A bottle of Lock Tight, electrical tape & a couple of zip ties are also very handy. These are my day-to-day items that I carry for day trips/travel to work.

As for a going away kit (2-3 weeks) I only add quality 10mm & 8mm ring/open end spanners, feeler gauges, chop stick and 1000 mph duct tape. Just depends on how fussy you are and what your storage capacity (or lack thereof) is. I consider these items enough for basic repairs/valve adjustment.

I also have a small (4" x 6") white, plastic chopping board that I leave in my side panniers. I use this if I'm parking in soft, muddy or unstable ground. Just place this under the side stand. It is also handy and offers protection if you ever need to hammer anything and don't have a plastic-faced hammer.

Back