• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso + NJ roads + pothole = crap :(

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Riding to work Wed last week (ie Thanksgiving Eve) my Griso 8V and I hit a pothole in Somerset NJ.
I was riding into the sun and changing lanes. And what appeared to be a patch in the road was actually a large pothole.
The shock of running into the pothole was so violent; that the suspension bottomed out, I was bounced out of the seat by a couple inches, and I almost lost control.

Parking in the parking lot at work I immediately saw the following on the front wheel:
IMG-20121121-00002.jpg

A couple days later I noticed the following on the rear wheel:
pb240325.jpg

And just yesterday I finally remembered to bring my camera (Blackberry not have zoom) to work and photograph the pothole:
pb290003.jpg

pb290004.jpg

pb290006.jpg

I very carefully rode the motorcycle home that day, replaced the front tire the following day, and inspected for further damage.
I did not find any further damage. (ie no broken body work, nothing else appears to be bent, no frame cracks, no fluids leaking, etc ..)
I plan on sending out the wheels to get repaired in the next couple of weeks.
Until then; I am currently still riding the motorcycle everyday and it appears to be running fine.
Although since it's nearly Winter and cold; I'm not leaning over too far in the corners.
However; the front suspension appears to be soft and more prone to bottoming out.
But that may just be me being gun-shy now. I'm not certain because the Griso's stock suspension is under sprung and over damped.

Is there any other damage I should look for on the motorcycle ?

Thanks;

--ET
(Shamelessly cross posted on on sport-touring.net to get as many opinions as possible.)

My Griso 8V NEVER has bottomed out on me and I weight 250+. I'd be getting the front forks looked at the very least.
The forks have dampers in them one or both could have been damaged if the shock was hard enough to bend the wheel.

Congrats on maintaining control !

That's not a bad looking hole compared to the variety I experienced in western PA for a number of years. Surprised at the damage you took . . . were the tires properly inflated?

Surprised it did that much damage,that really is a small pothole compared with what we have to put up with here in the UK.I also suspect your tyres must have been under inflated.Hope the damage is not too expensive.

Might be tempted, depending on who you're insured by, to get an insurance estimate done by your dealer. If in fact it's done any damage to the suspension, they'll be able to tell and can make that part of the estimate. They'll also put replacement of the wheels into the estimate. And, depending on the insurance company, they might try to go after NJDOT for compensation. Lucky thing is that if it's just the wheels, there are lots of companies that are good at straightening them.

I sympathize.

Neal in NJ

Well covered above. If you repair it, ask about having the wheel Magnaflux'ed to insure it's integrity. Keep us posted on how you make out.

As I've said elsewhere wheels are such a big safety issue I really don't like repairing them. The smaller ding? Well, OK. But the wheel with the bigger one is scraping my book and as Todd says their integrity has to be checked after repair.

Pete

OP here,

Today I went to same shop I always use for adjusting my suspension on my street and track motorcycle. To have them recheck the sag in the front suspension.
And the verdict is that there is absolutely no difference in sag. It is exactly where is was when we setup the suspension back in February.
So the feeling of the front suspension being prone to bottoming out after hitting the pothole.
Appears to have just been all in my head.

I really would like to buy new rims.
Because I've had a chrome rim for my pickup repaired in the past; and wasn't very satisfied with the results.
But I simply don't have the money at the moment.
(Driveway needs repaving, garage needs a new roof, 80 yr old Maple tree threatening house + garage needs to come down, etc ...)

Since I've ridden several hundred miles with the rims being bent.
And have not experienced any ill handling; nor died a fiery crash due to a failing wheel or demounting tire.
I'm re-thinking about repairing the rims; and may just wait until I have $$ to buy new rims.

IF I do decide to repair the rims as I first thought.
Then I'll probably use M.C. Wheel
I'm currently waiting for them to reply to my email; asking them how they inspect for cracks.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I'll keep this thread updated as things pan out.

--ET

Goodvibes said:
That's not a bad looking hole compared to the variety I experienced in western PA for a number of years. Surprised at the damage you took . . . were the tires properly inflated?

First think that came to mind as well...
I had a bad experience with pothole as well not long ago and it almost to the handle bar off my hands!
I turned around to take a look and it was worse than the picture shown here but it depends how you hit them as well.
I was pissed but no damage... I do run 36lbs on the front tire though.

OP, glad you save the bike (and yourself).
Can you report this to the County?

Goodvibes said:

I keep both tires at 36psi.
I think the greatest factor in causing damage is that I was leaned over and braking when I hit the pothole.

Also; this pothole is in front of the building where I work.
All day long at work we can hear trucks rumbling as they go by.
It sounds like they are being bounced in the air and about to loose their trailers.
It wasn't until I actually photographed the pothole; that I realized it's this exact pothole the trucks are hitting. :shock:

So if this pothole can jar 18 wheelers using 22" tires; I guess it simply swallowed my Griso's 17" wheels. :(

Think most people in this country would lodge a claim against the highways authority for the damage you've got. It's already a crazy "compensation culture" world we live in , but yours is a genuine case.

I guess we're all different. I would only blame myself for hitting a hole like that. I wouldn't ask for compensation because I was inattentive. That's part of the challenge of riding a motorcycle.

Op here:

It turns out I have a co-worker that previously worked for the town where the pothole exists.
He gave me their phone #. So I called them.
They were very efficient (as in they're very familiar with filing claims for potholes causing damage) in telling me what form I need to fill out at the municipal building.
I went in yesterday at lunch time and got the form.
I'm assuming I'll have to wait months to get reimbursed; if at all. BUT it's worth a try.

I've also asked Guzzi dealer for price and availability for new wheels.
And surprise; wheels are on back order with no ETA.
I assume it could be months until I see the wheels.
So I ordered them. The long wait will give me time to come up with the $$.
Dealer is also checking with sources other than Guzzi for new wheels.
They'll get wheels from whichever source provides wheels soonest.

Next week I'm attending job related training and certification in King of Prussia, PA.
Meaning I won't be commuting via motorcycle to Somerset, NJ.
So I plan on sending the front wheel to M.C. Wheel this Friday.
They say they should be able to get it back to me before the end of next week.
Assuming the wheel comes back in better shape; I would feel more at ease using it while waiting for new wheels to arrive.

I'll let everyone know how things work out.

I have had car wheels and motorcycle wheels repaired (by my local shop, Ye Old Wheel Shop) in the past and have never had a repaired wheel fail. In fact my local shop will tell me if a wheel can't safely be repaired, they have even repaired a wheel and told me if it gets hit in the same spot again that they will not be able to repair it next time. Assuming your shop is the same you should be fine.
Yea, new wheels are nice, but they are expensive. And while a wheel failure could be a very bad thing (or just a bad thing) the notion that you cannot safely repair a motorcycle wheel is crazy.
I think if I had to replace the wheels on my Griso I would go with aftermarket wheels, maybe even spoked (Alpina) as I would think the OEM wheels would be overpriced. Did your dealer give you a price?

GuzziMoto said:
I have had car wheels and motorcycle wheels repaired (by my local shop, Ye Old Wheel Shop) in the past and have never had a repaired wheel fail. In fact my local shop will tell me if a wheel can't safely be repaired, they have even repaired a wheel and told me if it gets hit in the same spot again that they will not be able to repair it next time. Assuming your shop is the same you should be fine.
Yea, new wheels are nice, but they are expensive. And while a wheel failure could be a very bad thing (or just a bad thing) the notion that you cannot safely repair a motorcycle wheel is crazy.
I think if I had to replace the wheels on my Griso I would go with aftermarket wheels, maybe even spoked (Alpina) as I would think the OEM wheels would be overpriced. Did your dealer give you a price?

Dealer gave me the following prices (rounded by me):

Front fender red = $140
fender screws = $2
front wheel = $750
wheel bearings = $23
seals = $4
rear wheel = $290

Total + tax = $1300

Wow, I am stunned at how cheap the rear wheel is.
Even the front wheel is cheaper then a typical aftermarket wheel. And the Griso wheels are reasonably light as well.
Perhaps it is just an opportunity to change the color of the rims, or add a highlight color.

Op here,

As stated in an earlier post; the wheels are on back order with no ETA.
So the plan was to send the front wheel out to be repaired.
And ride the Griso using the repaired wheel while waiting for new wheels to arrive.

On Friday 12/14/2012; I had sent the front wheel out to be repaired.
M.C. Wheel received it on Monday afternoon.
To their credit; they had it repaired and had it back in the mail by Monday night.
It was on my porch Wed afternoon.
Excellent customer service !

The repair is exactly how they said it would be.
Other than the paint being chipped form the repair process; the wheel appears to be back to normal.

pc190030.jpg

pc220032.jpg

So I mounted a tire and installed the front wheel that Wed night.
But come Saturday morning the front tire had lost nearly 15psi. :(
I'm assuming valve is bad.
However; after taking the Griso out for a ride. I noticed the left fork tube was now leaking oil. :(
So that means there was more damage than just two bent wheels. :(

So at this point the Griso is at Europa Macchina to have them inspect for all damage that had occurred from hitting the pothole.

Just a fyi, I have had work done by the lads in Friendsville Tn, (they are abot 20 mi away) and they did a hell of a job on my gixxer wheels, and I have sent a lot of folks to them all with good results. (many a track pig wheel have been saved by them.

Back