• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso SE rim

Phang

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
While watching a Guzzi youtube video clip, I spotted something interesting. (5:35 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ItpX83uZOs

G8VSEExcelrim.jpg

The rim of the Griso 8V SE in the video has an EXCEL rim at the rear wheel. My 2009 Griso 8V SE has BEHR rims.

I wonder why Guzzi get parts from 2 different suppliers given the production number of G8VSE is not that many.

Phang

:roll: Dunno. My mates' 2008 8v has Marcheseni wheels, whilst my 2008 8v has Brembo wheels. Perhaps they buy a certain number of one brand, and when they are all used up, they buy some more, off another manufacturer, because they're a bit cheaper. They are all quality products, so I wouldn't worry!

mickyvee_2010 said:
:roll: Dunno. My mates' 2008 8v has Marcheseni wheels, whilst my 2008 8v has Brembo wheels. Perhaps they buy a certain number of one brand, and when they are all used up, they buy some more, off another manufacturer, because they're a bit cheaper. They are all quality products, so I wouldn't worry!

There's no difference apart from the name. Marcheseni are owned outright by Brembo.

Will is correct, If you look closer at a CARC bike's Marchesini wheel, it has the word “Brembo” cast on it.

Phang

maybe it's one of the first SE's and they where still shopping around for the company whom would suplie the wheels at the lowest cost.

Checked the spoke tensions of my Greenie today. At 10,000km (6120mile), one spoke from the rear wheel was out of tune. It took about quarter of a turn to make it singing the same tune as the rest of the spokes from the same group. Hopefully I didn’t tear the O-ring under the nipple, finger crossed.

Is there a proper way to name a spoke? It was the 10th spoke clockwise from the tire valve stem looking from the right side of the bike. I named it R10 in my service record book, R denoted “rear” :mrgreen:

Phang

PDSCN6725.jpg

I have been waiting for someone else to ask this question but no one has.

Does anybody know the difference in the weight of the standard Griso alloy wheels vs. the SE wire spoke wheels?

I recently ran into a guy in WA (Western Australia for those not from oz) on a recent holiday who had a standard Griso with the SE wheels fitted. He had an altercation with a traffic island at about 140km/h which resulted in 2 busted wheels and fortunately only superficial damage to the rest of the bike and himself.
He made the comment that he felt the new wheels had made the handling more responsive. This would be expected if there was a noticeable weight difference (lower) due to the lesser centrifugal force generated by a lighter wheel.
I don't plan to throw a set of wheels on my bike but was inquisitive as to what the weight difference might be, as the standard wheels already seem fairly light to me.

Has anyone also had a chance to ride the standard Griso and the SE back to back and can comment on a difference which might be down to lighter wheels?

Mark

Hi,
Mark111 said:
Does anybody know the difference in the weight of the standard Griso alloy wheels vs. the SE wire spoke wheels?
He made the comment that he felt the new wheels had made the handling more responsive.
I don't know the weight of those wheels, but I don't think normal people (like us... :mrgreen: ) will feel the difference in handling. At least on a normal open road. I haven't bin on a racetrack the last 25 years... :huh:
When he felt a difference, I think the new tires on the rims will do the bussines in, for that time, better handling.

I like the looks of the SE rims, but I will never change them onto my G12.
To keep those wheels always nice and clean is much, much more work than with the standard wheels.
And I rather go on a holiday or buy one or two very nice lenses for my camera for that amount ... :p

Ad B

Did anybody notice at 5:25 that the license plate is very poorly attached with red/blue wire?
That's so ghetto.
I would have used duct tape.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 773
I guess I should spend more time riding the bike :lol:

Phang

Ad B said:
Hi,
Mark111 said:
He made the comment that he felt the new wheels had made the handling more responsive.
I don't know the weight of those wheels, but I don't think normal people (like us... :mrgreen: ) will feel the difference in handling. At least on a normal open road. I haven't bin on a racetrack the last 25 years... :huh:
When he felt a difference, I think the new tires on the rims will do the bussines in, for that time, better handling.

Ad B
I would agree that if he felt a difference it may have been a difference in the tires rather then the weight of the wheels. Spoke wheels often weigh more then cast wheels, not less. But a new set of tires always feels/handles better then a used set.

Back