• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Spark Plugs

Mark111

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Noticed in all of the manuals I have read for the 8v engine that it states that the plugs should be replaced at 10,000 km.
In my prior automotive experience this seems unusual or has it been lost in translation from the original Italian and should mean check every 10,000 km.
Replacing 2 plugs isn't going to break the bank but I was more interested as to why this is necessary.
It is not as though the engine runs at Motogp revs and seems inconsistent with an engine which apart from some past quality control issues is built like a brick shithouse.
My experience of this type of long life plug is that they regularly run 100,000 km replacement intervals in other engine applications.

Mark

Thanks Pete,

Thought you might say that.
10,000km Just didn't make any sense to me.

Mark

So we know the 10KM interval for the plugs is very conservative, can we say the same for the 10KM valve tappet adjustment? Surely those that have run several tens of thousands of KMs can share their observations in this area. Thanks all.

My concern is the crush washer of the spark plug. When I do the valve clearance adjustment, I will remove the spark plugs for the ease of finding TDC and cranking.

I am sure the spark plug will last for many tenths of thousand kilometer but will the sealing capability of the spark plug washer compromise after repeated tightening (crushing) :?:

Phang

After changing many thousands of spark plugs in a past life in the Automotive trade including many engines as sophisticated as any motorcycle engine including our Griso, I would have absolutely no concern using spark plugs again if they weren't past their use by date. I have never encountered a spark plug that did not seal when tensioned correctly and/or had no foreign material caught on/in the seating surface.
It won't cost a fortune to use new plugs each time you check the valves but from my perspective, although plugs are consumables why throw them away when they are barely used.

" will the sealing capability of the spark plug washer compromise after repeated tightening (crushing)"
To answer your question, Not in my experience.

The only caveat I would place on this is that if for some bizarre reason you are removing a plug hundreds of times and I can't think of any remotely intelligent reason why this would occur, (unless you suffered from excessive compulsive disorder) , then I would throw the plug away.

Mark

Thanks Mark, that’s what I want to hear from people whom total number of spark plugs change in a month is more than what I will have done in a lifetime.

I am suffering from mild compulsive disorder (by Guzzisti standard) as I use a torque wrench to tighten the spark plugs :lol: . My bike has 7,500km on the odometer now, spark plugs from Mandello del Lario removed twice during valve clearance adjustments. I will continue to use the same set of spark plug when I do the valve again at 10,000km.

Phang

Thanks Pete, the number of interesting English words/phrases I have learnt from reading your posts are definitely more than what my English teachers taught :lol:

Phang

Just read this and laughed out loud...

Vinegar stroke...

Phang your english education will become polished and refined in no time.

The Griso parts manual shows an Inboard plug and an outboard plug. I am confused? My bike has only two. I presume I should use the "inboard" long life plug ... or not? ... or does it not matter, or what? Help!

Back