• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

griso's with low batteries dont bump start

guzzi jon

High Miler
GT Contributor
I took my griso which had been on the battery tender for the past week to the rock store, one hour later, it just clicked. a group of folks helped push start me, which demonstrated that without sufficient voltage a griso will not bump start, however, it did allow me to fall over on the side of the road at three miles per hour.. only the bolt broke holding the brake lever on.... a goldwing guy jump started me and and I was on my way, rear brakeless... I reckon the battery which is nearly new is tits up, but I am doing a few experiments with known good batteries before I buy another. todd h is getting the broken bolt which is odd as the the plate useally hbreaks, not the the bolt, but my griso has seen the pavement a bit more than most. cool thing was that my last crash was on the left side and this time it fell over on the right side at 3 mph, straightented everything out
cheers.

Anybody know of any small but large enough gauge battery cables suitable for bike usage, say on my Norge? My gravity feed T3 is extremely easy to bump start. Given the vaguaries of the Bosch charging system, I've had way more than enough opportunities to prove that out. Given the relatively superior Saprisa charging system on the S, no such opportunities there. Given the still gravity feed, but higher compression motor, I would assume harder than the T3, but still possible. Never managed to dump a bike while jump starting though, even when alone & having to run & jump on the thing. Kudos on your achievement.

any one know of an agm replacement for the yuasa, the oddessy shows it to be a quarter inch longer. I really think my battery is gooned, and have had good luck with oddessy, I will try some chinese brand as yuasa has failed and dont want to warranty it as it was an internet sales. I like my eldo, put in a deep draw marine battery and you can ride it home on the starter..... Thanks for todd getting me the bits, the batter i will sort locally..... hmmmm,. will a scura battery fit a griso....

motorcycle_training_wheels.jpg

guzzi jon wrote:
any one know of an agm replacement for the yuasa, the oddessy shows it to be a quarter inch longer. I really think my battery is gooned, and have had good luck with oddessy, I will try some chinese brand as yuasa has failed and dont want to warranty it as it was an internet sales. I like my eldo, put in a deep draw marine battery and you can ride it home on the starter..... Thanks for todd getting me the bits, the batter i will sort locally..... hmmmm,. will a scura battery fit a griso....

Check this one out.

http://westcobattery.com/battery_page.php?bid=53&vid=-1

I guess they didn't push hard enough, OR your battery was so far gone that the ECU didn't get enough juice. My Norge had the clicks once, and I bump started it not once, but thrice...

I took the dead battery from 6 months ago, hooked it up to the battery tender and it fired the griso right up, I'm testing now to see if it runs down a good battery or I just got a new lemon yuasa.... the new, but failied battery has high voltage and high amps when I test it with a VOM, but I cant put a load on it, I suspect a bad battery, but now i need a new brake lever, a bolt and a sharpie to cover up the scratches on my mirror....

guzzibob wrote:
Anybody know of any small but large enough gauge battery cables suitable for bike usage, say on my Norge? My gravity feed T3 is extremely easy to bump start. Given the vaguaries of the Bosch charging system, I've had way more than enough opportunities to prove that out. Given the relatively superior Saprisa charging system on the S, no such opportunities there. Given the still gravity feed, but higher compression motor, I would assume harder than the T3, but still possible. Never managed to dump a bike while jump starting though, even when alone & having to run & jump on the thing. Kudos on your achievement.

Bob: I have a small set I carry that has done the job on everything from Harleys to a Ducati GT 1000. I'll look later for model/mfr. info.

Just a though on Westcos. We used to carry them. Then, they started making them in Vietnam and we had to warranty so many we switched entirely to Odysseys. That was three years ago, and we haven't had to warranty an Odyssey yet. A PC545 will be smaller than a Griso battery but will do the job.

I'm sure there are hazards. Don't short to the ECU, seems the most likely and catastrophic. I always do it carefully and with the jumper bike switched off.

guzzibob wrote:
Never managed to dump a bike while jump starting though, even when alone & having to run & jump on the thing. Kudos on your achievement.[/quote]

You never had 5 harley guys helping you

Next time, compliment them on their nice viragos (or would that be viragoes) ... ;)

Can get a non-Yuasa AGM replacement (with better specs then the Yuasa) for $80+ tax & shipping.

Greg Field wrote:
I'm sure there are hazards. Don't short to the ECU, seems the most likely and catastrophic. I always do it carefully and with the jumper bike switched off.

OK, easy enough to have jumper bike (or car, for that matter) off. However, unclear as to what you mean by "don't short to the ECU." Put another way, how would one mistakenly "short to the ECU?" Sorry to be so oblivious, but I have approx 43 years experience dealing with bikes without ECU's, 1 year with. I'll get it eventually, preferably without having to experience the potential catastrophes.

TIA

Thanks Todd,
I found one and ordered it, I'm going to try to get a refund on the new one I bought, but the internet makes that stuff a bit dicey.
I still have Petes Griso ECU for you, when's a good time to get it to you?
Cheers,

Bob:

On some machines, the ECU is quite near the + terminal of the mounted battery. See a V11 Sport for a Guzzi example of this. All it takes is a second's inattention when jumping or even when disconnecting the + connections to touch the ECU with the + jump lead or to short from the + terminal to the ECU. Some folks have cooked their ECUs in this way. Always disconnect the - connection first and hook it up last.

Isn't there a risk too with power surges that can cook an insufficiently protected ECU (even when bum[p]starting)?

Back