• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GT-RX Installation notes, pics, and video...

Here are some installation notes:

First off, great job by Todd. I was originally going to go with the left side can but after talking to Todd and understanding the performance benefits of the right side system I went for it. The design, quality, and welds all look top notch.

The installation took me about an hour and a half. While I was under there I took the opportunity to clean the liver spots and golden hue off the head pipes - they look pretty good now.

Tips:
1) Loosen the head pipe clamp bolts (at the heads). That gives you plenty of wiggle on the head pipes to fit them into the new collector. I fiddled for a while without getting the two pipes in evenly, loosening the clamps gave me the movement I needed. Also I found that the head pipe clamp bolts were loose to begin with so now they are back to nice an snug.
2) I had trouble getting the O2 sensor screwed into the new collector. There was not enough slack in the wires. Issue was quickly solved. I guessed (correctly!) that there was a tie wrap behind the starter on the wire bundle. I dropped the starter in about 45 seconds and found/snipped the tie wrap. That also allowed me to completely disconnect the O2 sensor at the plug end which made re-installing it into the collector simple.

Lastly the right side exit is mighty close to the underside of the rear brake lever/mechanism. I had a good 3/4" clearance before I snugged everything up but now its down to 1/8". I may play with fitment on another day because I wanted to catch the high temp of the day (which aint very high here in NJ USA today) to road test. I swung by a friends place and he was blown away by the look and sound. I also added a Tidy Tail at the same time...

More Pics:

Video to follow....

Having trouble with more than one pic per post:

Original system on a scale: 20Lbs:

Rear View:

Video is loading on YouTube. I'll post a link later when its cataloged up there...

Performance benefit of the RHS model vs. the LHS? How can that be?

The Left Side system requires 4 90 degree bends in the pipes to get around the shift, etc down under. The right side eliminates all the 90's and has only two sweeping bends in it. I assume this makes if more free flowing.

Todd stated that he has the Dyno charts to show the difference, but the dyno he used is apparently broken right now so he cannot get the RX chart out of it. He will be providing the chart in the near future, according to him.

The RX system supposedly sounds more throaty too. Having not heard anything else *in person* (just YouTube) I'll just say this has a deep sound.

I'm not sure if Todd posts anything to do with sales pitches here, but perhaps he can clarify? If he prefers to communicate with me directly I can relay a response on the actual numbers difference.

Regards,
Ed in NJ (where it's snowing, so I'm glad I got out YESTERDAY)...

You see, that's the whole point. Both headers go to the left side, and then join. But it's possible your explanation is correct. Maybe I should have wondered aloud about noticeable differences while riding ;)

Thanks Ed! Great video clip too... NICE. My pleasure, and thanks for the purchase!

Once all that white stuff melts, and the temps come up... report back after a ride. I think your grin will be bigger then ever. ;)

RJVB, both seat of pants and dyno have proven that the four 90-degree depends rob both power and sound. We've done one left side where we replaced the u-bend collector, and the results were much better seat-of-pants (sorry, no dyno run) and the sound to go with it. Now that I'm seeing how many u-bend OEM Y-pipe collectors are cracking, perhaps we should start offering a straightened Y-pipe collector for the left side systems as well. :dry:

Seems the straighter runs of the collector change the sound. It just sounds like it runs more freely. It v
We did a crossover that was a straighter run to the left side muffler as an experiment. It was surprising what a sound difference it made. The Crossover we make is less restrictive than the stock crossover.
I didnt get a chance to ride the bike but was told that seat of the pants it seemed to run better.
The GT/RX on the Griso has the sweetest sound of any Guzzi. It begs to be ridden.

As I said, the explanation seems plausible, as far as I can tell (heh, it must be as with chimneys, where seemingly unimportant changes can have big effects on how well a fire will burn :) )

For differences in sound, I'm willing to believe you without doubts. That's not to say I'm doubting your ability to detect seat-of-the-pants differences, but I know (and that's part of my job ;) ) how difficult it is to separate s.o.t.p. judgements from simple expectations, esp. since you've got good reasons to believe one would be better than the other. That would require double-blind testing, where neither the "experimenter" nor the test-rider knows which set-up is going to be tested.

Not that I could ever put one on (homologation...), but I'd be curious to see what you'll be coming up with for the Norge. Of course, I continue to feel that a bike should have a muffler on both sides ... :p

AAAltered468 wrote:
Lastly the right side exit is mighty close to the underside of the rear brake lever/mechanism. I had a good 3/4" clearance before I snugged everything up but now its down to 1/8". I may play with fitment on another day...
It shouldn't be that close, so be sure to loosen everything and shift it around again. Should be 3/8~1/2" clearance.

Nice pics ,first time ive seen the welding on pipe before, its called ART (love it)

Yea Todd or whomever does his welding is an artist. The muffler alone is made up of 8 separate cones beautifully welded.

FYI, I adjusted the fit this past weekend. Loosening the LS headpipe allowed me to change the angle enough to get the full 3/8" clearance between the pipe and the brake lever.

I also took some onboard video with my camera duct-taped inside my screen. The video quality isnt bad but I almost immediately ran into traffic so theres not much "good" stuff. Now that I know the camera/duct-tape works I'll shoot some more this weekend.

BTW, I have not had so much trouble staying off the pipe since I gave up smoking cocaine. :whistle:

The sound finally matches the look of the bike. *And* I got 41MPG over the weekend, which seems a bit *better* than I used to get (39ish.) and thats while riding more agressively than normal.

I made my SV650 buddy chase me for 80 Miles on Sunday...

Ed in Nj

Thanks for the comments on the welds. I try and do the best I can. Its a labor of love.

I have ridden quite a few Griso's and the GT/Rx has the best sound of any bike yet.

Enjoy

the other day in my local bike shop loughborough uk i saw this system fitted to v8 its even better in real life.johnno wrote:
Nice pics ,first time ive seen the welding on pipe before, its called ART (love it)

Back