• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi foglight install instructions??

John in PA

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Has anyone installed the Guzzi foglights? I've got a pair of PIAA 1100X dichroic driving lamps that I'd like to install on the crashbars using the factory wiring and switch. I just need to know where Guzzi stashed the plugs for the auxiliary lights. Wattage matches the factory lights and connection should be a simple matter of installing matching plugs on the wire ends. If you have the factory light installation instructions, could you scan and post, or just give details on how to find/identify the foglight plugs? I know the wire colors (from Carl's schematic), just don't know what all I have to unbutton to get at them. TIA

John,
Both of the fog light connectors are on the right side. They usually work out to be pretty close to the rear portion of the fuse box but not quite that far forward. They are white plastic each with two connector sections. I spliced into those for each of the motolights. When you think you have found them hook up a meter and crank the bike and turn the switch on (right handlebar) to make sure you have the correct ones. They are only hot when the engine is running and the slide handlebar switch is on.
You also made a comment about the Mistral from MG. I have one. As with other Mistrals I have owned - well constructed and attractive. But it is essentially a straight pipe. I made a baffle for it which makes it reasonable. We'll see if the baffle stays in without any significant problems. It is the first time I have purchased a Mistral that seemed so loud.

On my bike, in addition to finding the connectors, I had to purchase a relay. The slot is there and it is a standard mini Guzzi relay, but my slot was empty. Sounds like some bikes have it already and some don't.

Yes I had to get the relay as well. The way I spotted the connectors was lying down with a flashlight and looking up into the area just behind and near the fusebox. I was able to splice into the connectors without removing anything from the bike.

I remember a little white plug visible left side of fairing. I'll have to check wire colors, and check closer for the second one. Haven't checked for the relay yet. Where is the relay box, the fuse box up front inside the fairing, or is there another one under the seat (I'm not down at the shop.) If it's the same as stock relays on recent (2000-on) Guzzi's, I've got Dan's replacement ones if needed.

Edit: Found the empty relay slot in the electrical box up front in right side of fairing. Relays match earlier guzzi's and Dan's fit fine.

jonesar wrote:
John,
You also made a comment about the Mistral from MG. I have one. As with other Mistrals I have owned - well constructed and attractive. But it is essentially a straight pipe. I made a baffle for it which makes it reasonable. We'll see if the baffle stays in without any significant problems. It is the first time I have purchased a Mistral that seemed so loud.

My Mistral has a conical drilled Stainless baffle installed. In fact, I enlarged the hole in the inside end of the cone to 1/2" and drilled a circumferential series of six holes around the perimeter of the taper portion of the cone also, as mine sounded a bit choked. I wonder if Guido forgot to install the baffle in yours? There should be a threaded nut welded in at 6 o'clock in the outlet hole which is used to retain the restrictor with a single socket screw.

I'd really like to replace the baffle with a red propellor version as used on the LaFranconi Competeziones of years ago. I've never seen one of those disassembled, so I don't know how far into the pipe they go ir the details of build. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.

OK, Found the (empty!) relay slot, and filled it with one of Pyro Dan's upgraded relays. Small white plug visible on left side inside fairing has a yellow/black wire and a blue wire. Didn't spot any yellow/black and blue wires on the right, but didn't remove any bodywork yet either. I guess It's exploratory surgery time.

Found the second (right-hand) plug just the way you said, Jonesar, by laying on the floor, looking up, with a flashlight. Clipped a few wire ties and popped it out. Now just gotta match up plugs and make an extension wire to reach.

I just ordered a variety of Posi-locks and water proof connectors from Eastern Beaver. I think finding the exact mating conector will be too difficult. I'm planning to use waterproof posi-locks to extend original leads after removing the original plugs, then put the waterproof two-lead connectors down at the lights. PIAA makes some little-known, nicely machined black anodized adjustable mounts for round bars in three sizes, 7/8", 1" , 1 1/8" The Guzzi crash bars are 1". I need to get some of the heat resistant auto wire that's color-coded for polarity and I'll be in business.
The OEM Guzzi plugs don't look all that weatherproof anyway, though they are protected by the fairing somewhat.

I used waterproof posilocks to connect my Garmin to the connection that was intended for the TomTom. I couldn't find a plug to fit into the TomTom specific socket so cut the wires to the socket and used the posilocks to join the connections. So far, so good, I'm sure it should work for the foglights.

GuzziHop wrote:
I used waterproof posilocks to connect my Garmin to the connection that was intended for the TomTom.

Where abouts is the connector intended for the TomTom located, Neil? I've never been able to find it on my Norge. I'm hoping it might be in a similar place.

Location on Norge: Small white two-pole connector ziptied inside frame members dead center behind the steering head, just beneath the top of the frame. you'll need to release the tank and slide it backwards to free it up. Blue wire, green wire. If memory serves, green is positive, though you'll want to check with a meter to be sure. It's switched power.
I also removed the tomtom plug on the Norge and soldered the Garmin plug in it's place to mount my Zumo 550. I didn't find the one on the stelvio yet, (didn't pull the tank) so I'm thinking it's probably equally well hidden. I'd like to see a detail pic of how Guzzi mounts the tomtom on the Stelvio so I can fab something similar for the Zumo. I like being able to move it from bike to bike.

The mount for a TomTom Rider on a Stevio is just a variation of the "Upper U-bolt"
It is the same as the original one but it has 4 holes in it. So you can screw the TomTom mount on it.

For the TomTom connector on the Stelvio I cheated and asked Jason at Moto Strada to find it for me. He was happy to do so. It was located in the space in front of the tank - I think ziptied to the left forkleg, or something on the left side. I would never have found it without assistance from someone who knew. He did say that they weren't always in the same place!

GuzziHop wrote:
For the TomTom connector on the Stelvio I cheated and asked Jason at Moto Strada to find it for me. He was happy to do so. It was located in the space in front of the tank - I think ziptied to the left forkleg, or something on the left side. I would never have found it without assistance from someone who knew. He did say that they weren't always in the same place!

I found TWO connectors against the steering head, on the right side. The driving light connectors were in the fairing near the turn signal openings, one on each side.

Do you suppose they are putting two accessory connectors on now? Wait, can that be for heated grips?

Back to the drawing board.

Back