• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi shutting down???

kneedown

Just got it firing!
Say it ain't so,Just when I'm ready to buy a Griso or sport I read in Cycle World that they are shutting down for who knows how long,,
Going under???

Anybody know anything?

Mike

The factory is closed for December and January. During this period, some buildings are being repaired and some modified to allow better truck access. Piaggio says it will re-open in February as an assembly plant.

Hello

Greg is correct. It is only for building and infrastructure upgrades.... No need to worry.... Enjoy the Griso!

Latest Cycle World stated that Guzzi is moving all design and motor design to the aprilla factory. Mandello is shutting down for 3 months for a slight makeover, and upon reopening it will be used as an assembly plant only. Sounds like Piaggio may be coming up with some new design Guzzi motors???

Re:Guzzi shutting down/new designs

Maybe Piaggio will have Guzzi follow the path of BMW........buy someone elses twins and fours, and re-badge them as Guzzi's. Apparently giving up your distinct identity is fine as long as you make lots of money.

Guzzi engines are currently being assembled in Piaggio's own old factory (Pontedara?), not in Aprilia's new site in Noale.

Sgt — Piaggio is in the business of making money through selling scooters, truck-trikes and since they bought Aprilia/Guzzi plus a couple of other names, motorbikes. Firing your personnel to make even more profit is apparently common and correct practice nowadays, I tend to find that even worse than preventing "distinct identity" from evolving...

RJVB:

Are you sure the engines are NOT being build in Mandello..... In 2006 they had just installed a new engine assembly line for 1100 and 1200's along with 6 new engine dyno's....

I believe engine design and testing has moved but not assembly...

Have you been to the factory in the past 2 years?

I'm sure that this is what I have been told 10 days before xmas, by someone from Piaggio R&D. It's certain that NOTHING is currently being built in Mandello, I can't recall whether or not the engine assembly is in Pontedara for just those 2 months. I figure that one doesn't displace an assembly line easily enough to do it for just 2 months...

Rumor/word has it that the plant will reopen for production on February 2, and its 190 employees will return as well. I'm trying to get more info and will post accordingly.

RJVB wrote:
Sgt — Piaggio is in the business of making money through selling scooters, truck-trikes and since they bought Aprilia/Guzzi plus a couple of other names, motorbikes. Firing your personnel to make even more profit is apparently common and correct practice nowadays, I tend to find that even worse than preventing "distinct identity" from evolving...

I'm guessing that I'd agree with you....if I had any idea what you said!!

My point was that BMW decided that boxer motors were not "it" any more, and now use engines that Japan builds cheaper. I understand that BMW will soon be using Chinese motors. At least Guzzi has kept faithful to the motors that got all of us on the bandwagon to start with.

Well - as I mentioned in another post you can see the Factory in the Long Way Down series - shot in summer 2008. In the Guzzi factory tour at that time it was obvious that engine assembly was being done by Guzzi at their own factory. There's even a shot of the engines being broken in for their 20 minute test stand period.

BUT... the big question is.... It's February 6th, 2009. IS THE FACTORY BACK OPEN?

Does anyone know the status??
Murphy

SgtCrump wrote:
Maybe Piaggio will have Guzzi follow the path of BMW........buy someone elses twins and fours, and re-badge them as Guzzi's. Apparently giving up your distinct identity is fine as long as you make lots of money.

Sarge, that was the guzzi model 25 years ago under de Tomaso, remember the guzzi badged 2-strokes including the benelli 4 cylinder guzzi.... didn't guzzi have an entire line of rebadged two stroke models (that subsequently failed)

Yep. It apparently re-opened the 2nd of February, as foreseen. But that's all I know...

"Re:Guzzi shutting down??? 2 Hours, 10 Minutes ago
Yep. It apparently re-opened the 2nd of February, as foreseen. But that's all I know..."

Whew! Thanks for the post. I've got a 2009 Norge ordered and on the way to my local Guzzi Dealer (2.5 hours away).
I've always wanted a Guzzi, so when I finally mustered up the cash, I read this. The news kind of took the wind out of my sails.
Very glad to hear their back open!
Murphy

Well, no one ever said Guzzi would cease to exist because of what's happening at Mandello. They're a wholly owned Piaggio subsidiary/branch now, and Piaggio isn't on any endangered species list ;)
To some of us a Guzzi can only come from the Mandello factory, to others that's maybe much less the case.

Words from Agostini:
The factory is back at work, and the museum is open again. Naturally under the economic circumstances of the moment the production is somewhat limited and I understand plans for some new models have been postponed.

Back