Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a pay to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

GUZZI VIN Decoder

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by GT-Rx®, Jan 21, 2011.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Using the info below, Y = year as outlined below.

A = 1980
    B = 1981
    incrementally to; Y = 2000
    1 = 2001
    2 = 2002
    incrementally to; 9 = '09
    A = 2010
    B = 2011
    C = 2012
    D = 2013
    E = 2014
    F = 2015
    G = 2016
    H = 2017
    I = Not used as to be confused by a number 1
    J = 2018
    K = 2019
    L = 2020
    Incrementally to; Y = 33

VIN.jpg

2. Supaflee

Supaflee Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for that info .
    Supaflee

3. MotoWally

MotoWally Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I just bought a barn find at auction, and I am thrilled about getting it going, but first I need to get it titled. It has a tag on the neck that says "Jan 1972" Then, frame number is 50315, and engine number, on the side of the block, says 50315 VP. I can't seem to find a decoder for this old bird, and I would like to know what I've got. Also, is that all the VIN number there is ? I can't find anything else on the frame, other than "MOTO GUZZI" stamped on the right side by the riveted tag. Any help would be appreciated ! :D

Thanks ! Robert
    rwtools@att.net

4. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

G'day Todd,
    The number of my Breva (purchased 2005) has an X for the production date, i.e.:
    ZGULP000X5M etc.
    This seems to me that they may have continued using alphabetical until 2006.
    I assume that my machine was manufactured in 2004 and sold as a 2005 model, or maybe I am a year out in my calculation.

Cheers
    Brian

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Guzzi only used a serial number for many years. I don't think they went to VIN until late 70s or 1980s. Congratulations on finding a matching number barn find. Which bike were you luck enough to acquire? If she has been sitting for awhile there are some things that need special attention for that vintage machine. Ask your questions in the Tonti and Loop section.

6. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Thanks for the decoder! Handy to understand.

I do remember when there was nothing but a serial number. I remember the serial number on the '64 Lamborghini 350GT I owned in the 1970s ... "0102" : Series 01, chassis 02. Simple. The engine was similar: 0111 ... series 01, number 11. Gosh, that was a long long time ago.

7. ardexx

ardexx Just got it firing!

My ultra-factory-fresh V9 Bobber has VIN ZGULHH004JM0005XX. I suppose they skipped the 'I' as MY2018 identifier. Or they are well on schedule with the 2019 production...

8. briguy33

briguy33 Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Hey guys.. I have a related question..

I just bought my first Guzzi (first bike in general, new rider) off Craigslist.. Emailed the guy at 3am and picked up the bike the next morning at 10am, so didn't do the research I should have and since I was really only looking for a Triumph I knew next to nothing about MG. Anyways, it was listed as a 2015 V7 ii Stone, I did look that year up and knew it had ABS but I did notice the Craigslist listing didn't have ABS, wasn't a deal breaker for me it was a good deal and I wanted it as soon as I saw it.

Now that I have it, looking at parts, manuals and stuff I started to realize that I didn't think this was a 2015, but a 2014. I checked the VIN and it comes up as a 2015 but the stamped date on the head stock says 5-2014. Again, not a deal breaker but as I start looking for custom parts/accessories I am a bit confused on what to order. Also, if I ever decide to sell her I should know what to say.

Any advice or insight?

guzzi_left.jpg guzzi_date.jpg
    guzzi_vin.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019