• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi Warranty Work in General.

Toadride

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Coming from BMW there has been a shitload of warranty work on both the F800 and the 1200Gs models. It seems that the more you pay, the more you will need warranty work done. Now, I paid a LOT less for my 07 Bandit and never needed any sort of replacement work done in the years I owned it. So, where does Guzzi stand. Any big disasters waiting for me when I pick up a new Stelvio? I am not finding anything. I hope it's true. :?:

My current experience is not positive. Piaggio was extremely difficult to deal with, insisting that I take my bike to a dealer when the nearest one is four hours drive away from Las Vegas. The shock failed with just over 20,000 miles on the bike, and less than a year after purchase.

They are now refusing to honor the warranty, claiming that the shock is a 'wear item'. Wear item? It's not a clutch, or brake pad, or anything similar. It's certainly not subject to abuse as a clutch might be. Certainly a shock on a Norge should be able to go 25,000+ miles before failing, even if it isn't the quality of a Penske or Hyperpro.

I'm still waiting to see if they come to their senses, but I am now putting further Moto Guzzi purchases on the shelf - including the plan to buy a Stelvio later this year.

As is the case in most things for every negative opinion there are more positive ones. I have never had a warranty claim denied, A lot depends on your selling and servicing dealer and there are some good ones.

There will always be people with bad experiences. Sometimes they are legitimate and sometimes they are not.
I have had a couple issues with mine and all were promptly and properly dealt with by my dealer. Having a good dealer will likely decide whether your ownership experience will be a good one or not. That applies to all brands, not just Guzzi's. I have never had to personally deal with Piaggio, that is the dealers job. But then I never tried to get things done under warranty without taking the bike to my dealer. Same for my car, always took it to the dealer to get warranty work done. It never occurred to me to expect otherwise.
Compared to my experience with other brands, you are more likely to have an issue with a Guzzi then with a Japanese bike but if/when you do you are treated better by the Guzzi dealer then the Japanese brand dealer. Compared to BMW it is probably about the same as far as odds of an issue but my local Guzzi dealer treats you better then my brother was treated by the local BMW dealer.
YMMV.

So dealer and warranty issues aside. Back to the original question. Are there any recurring 'bike' issues I should know about? Are there other shock failures, for instance?

Try reading the '8V falure' thread. It'll only take you a week but I can pretty much be sure that it'll put you off buying a Stelvio.

As for the gentleman who was unsatisfied because he was expected to take his bike to a dealer for inspection? So?? What were you expecting??? To phone someone up and say 'My shock is leaking and I want another one." and them to reply "Certainly Sir! Its a several hundred dollar part and despite the fact we know nothing about you or your mechanical knowledge we'll send one out straight away! Are you sure one is enough? Perhaps we can send you another as a spare?" Let's be serious. Of course it has to be inspected by a dealer otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry would simply be able to demand a new motorbike every time their tyres wore out! If the fact that the dealer is four hours away presents a problem perhaps it would of been something that should of been taken into consideration prior to purchasing the machine and a decision made to buy something else with better local support.

Just sayin'.....

Pete

There are some known issues with the current CARC Guzzi's. The 8v motors as a whole are sensitive to proper oil, unlike the older Guzzi's which I believe anything including Yak fat could be used.
The top end failures that the first 8v's were subject to have been mostly corrected, although there are failures still occurring in Europe (why Europe would still have the issue and the US and Oz would not I do not know). There is also the spark plug boot issue, again, a known problem with a known solution.
If you read through the existing threads on this site all that and more is covered. If you have a quality dealer he would already be aware of the issues and can take the time to correct the minor ones before delivery during PDS. If he is just a dealer that pulls the bike out of the box then maybe you should be buying from somewhere else. On the other hand, if you want a turn key bike that runs like an appliance and you don't have to put any extra in to the ownership experience you might be better served buying a Japanese bike.
Do they typically blow up? No. But they are hand built Italian exotics, they tend to require a little more from their owners and in return they tend to last a long time a deliver a unique ownership experience.

Toad

What model year you looking to buy?

The 2010 Stelvio had most if not all of it's issues dealt with - but it still runs very lean and needs some fueling attention. That can be a big cost item depending on how you deal with it. To some, this lean fueling is unacceptable for a new bike, but if you're used to spending BMW $$$ then you might be okay with it. The CARC recall occurred a couple of years before the Stelvio was released. My Buddy has not had any warranty issues with his 2010 Stelvio except for one; that is a intermittent squishy clutch lever.

The 2011/12 EU has a new ECU and a slightly longer wheel base, big gas tank. I suppose something might sneak in there, but haven't seen any problems on the forum - that may be because it hasn't been released in the US.

Only issue I got with my 2010 Cafe are:

Loose heat shield and clutch cable not adjusted and loose oil return line....strait out of the dealer fixed by myself in 2 mins no cost....

while the initial inspection, dealer forgot to order new valcover gaskets....lost the bike for a week end....

then I got a front warped rotor arount 9000 mi....(most likely from heavy braking cause my buddy wiped out in front of me while riding 2 up....) fixed on waranty, no cost....

So, I would say Piagio waranty is good but my dealer is shitty.....

Pete, I understand your point, and you were replying without knowing the back story. I provided Piaggio with photos of the shock showing the oil weeping from the seal. These were verified by a Guzzi-trained mechanic who had worked at the Las Vegas dealership when we had one. I offered to ship the shock to a current dealer for inspection after dismounting it myself, or having a licensed mechanic in my city do this. Piaggio never denied that the machine was eligible for coverage - they simply wanted me to ride or transport the bike a distance greater than that from Paris to the factory, just to have the dealer say that the shock was leaking - something all involved already acknowledged was true.

I was and am willing to pay for local work by a qualified mechanic - I just want them to replace a failed part on a bike still covered by warranty, with the failed part provided to them in advance. I think that's a fair trade when a dealer closes in your local area.

As to dealing with Piaggio directly rather than through a dealer - well, what choices are there when your dealer closes? I think that's why they publish a customer service contact phone number and address...

Back