• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Head protectors vs crash bars - how effective?

Neville

Just got it firing!
Hi all. I collect my V100S in two weeks time, and I've been reading through this forum to determine what accessories to add. I've ordered several items, but one thing I'm still pondering is whether to add any crash protection. I'm really not keen on the look of crash bars on such a beautiful bike - my thinking is if I have any serious off, then it's an insurance claim. But I was wondering about the factory head protectors, to add some protection for a low speed topple over. My concern is of they mount to the cylinder, are they likely to cause damage to that if you drop the bike?
Also, has anyone been unfortunate enough to test them out, and what was the result - what are the other contact points if the bike falls on its side?

Do you mean this cylinder top protection?
Don’t know how much impact it can take, but I figure that it the accident is worse than that, I will have more to think about.
This is for stand still fall over protection or at best case low speed slides due to gravel on tarmac.
For low speed slides you will look at bar end damages, footpegs, drive shaft scratches or cracks.
Hard side cases will take the impact in most cases I assume.
But such new bike is fully insured anyway.
Cylinder top protection will ease your mind though, and allow you to continue after the bike has fallen over, without showing much of evidence.

Hi Tebax,
Yes, the bike will be fully insured, and you're right, I'm only looking for for topple over protection at most at walking speed. Like if you lose your footing in a gravel parking area, or maybe manoeuvring out of the the garage. I was still wondering if that protector and footrest will be the only contact point, or are you likely to hit other bodywork and maybe exhaust can if on the right. And I've seen Mistral produce a protector which is also braced against the rocker cover, not sure if that would work better?

Last edited:
I personally would consider nicely shaped carbon protection panels on the rear drive shaft, and rear of the exhaust muffler if they would be offered somewhere.
But only if they are nicely made, well integrated with the bike design.
I think BMW are prone to offer this to the customers?

Anyway, it turned out that I constantly have my panniers (OEM) on while I’m driving.
So they will take most of the hit and save the bike, except the bar ends.
That will leave you with scuffed panniers, which will hopefully still be functional, but leaving the bike more or less unharmed for you to continue the trip with.
Sure, panniers aren’t cheap, but you don’t need to put the bike at a workshop for some time.
So what insurance terms do you have? 🤔

@Dave
I see that you also have both the nice looking aluminum cylinder top protection, and the smaller Fenda Extenda from Pyramid Plastics 👍

In my extensive experience (including my rental fleet), tube crash bars are the only real protection, and not always perfect. These blingy bolt on jewelry are the equivalent of a gold chain necklace, and will likely do more damage than good, even in a tip over. I hope someone proves me wrong. I personally wouldn’t run them. Cylinder head cost is US$850 since they bolt into it (someone here can do the leverage/moment calc), and the one-piece header/collector system is US$1950. They will likely harm both.

Tube bars are your only chance to ride it home if you’re lucky. Otherwise, hope you’re in mobile phone service range.

Hi all. I collect my V100S in two weeks time, and I've been reading through this forum to determine what accessories to add. I've ordered several items, but one thing I'm still pondering is whether to add any crash protection. I'm really not keen on the look of crash bars on such a beautiful bike - my thinking is if I have any serious off, then it's an insurance claim. But I was wondering about the factory head protectors, to add some protection for a low speed topple over. My concern is of they mount to the cylinder, are they likely to cause damage to that if you drop the bike?
Also, has anyone been unfortunate enough to test them out, and what was the result - what are the other contact points if the bike falls on its side?
Got mine with the black wrap-around tractor bars, and factory panniers. Re-newbie with 50 years layoff so making every mistake over again. About 8 near-stopped tipovers so far in (the first 700 of) around 2500 miles, and only superficial damage, visible on inspection but still fully functional. Me and the bike. For me, picking back up has been much more of a concern than damage.

I asked the service manager at my dealership which of these he'd recommend, and he said the tractor bars so that's what I went with, and then I decided to add the auxiliary fog lights.
I believe that we all hope that we'll never drop, or crash our beautiful new motorcycles, but from my 50 + years of experience, I've learned that things can happen despite our best efforts. Sadly I've seen bikes get knocked over just out of pure meanness.

Hello Neville, I purchased both……ended up installing the (rather expensive) little silver cylinder head protectors (crossing my fingers they actually do something useful in a tip over), although as mentioned above, I also think the black crashbars will probably help the most. Actually, if t you decide on the black crashbars, my set is for sale, still new in plastic, never installed, pm me and maybe we can workout a good price for them since I know I won’t install them.

Also, Viewpoint’s nice photo above did remind me to mention…… I’d HIGHLY recommend at least a “Fender Extender” and or a radiator guard! After only 150 miles on some of my favorite backroads, I took a rather good sized pebble/small rock that if any bigger or deeper would have started a leak. Big enough that while standing ahead and to the right front of the bike on its stand, it’s visible. I’ve since even installed a SW Motech Skidplate.

Last edited:
Cylinder head cost is US$850 since they bolt into it (someone here can do the leverage/moment calc), and the one-piece header/collector system is US$1950.

Those little protectors are colossaly expense: £120-odd each according to my dealer.

£240 is "Still" way less than between $850 and $1950 regardless of the exchange rate :cry:

Last edited:
I agree with Tod here, frame mounted bars that have distance between impact point and what they are supposed to protect allow the forces to be absorbed by deflection and distortion of the material they are made from.
Anything engine mounted is way too close to be in any way effective, ends up being made brittle and simply snaps on impact or transfers the entire force back into their mount point.
And the whole point is NOT to do that.
Chris.

Last edited:
Those little protectors are colossaly expense: £120-odd each according to my dealer.
Yeah…..I ordered one thinking the price was for a set. Once home and finding only one in the box I called the dealership stating they forgot to give me the other one……to only find their price was $169 each (retail $189 each).🤦‍♂️ Holy Toledo!!

Re-newbie with 50 years layoff so making every mistake over again. About 8 near-stopped tipovers so far in (the first 700 of) around 2500 miles,

😲

Please seriously consider a professional riding class like the Motorcycle Safety Foundation riders course.

Trying to “learn” proper technique on your own is not possible.

The more you learn, the better it gets.

Be safe. Good luck.

———————

FWIW: Every motorcycle that ever came into my shop with a cylinder head strike against those “pretty” aluminum head guards, suffered damage. Every single one.

Every motorcycle that had real engine bars around it. I put new bars around the engine and sent the bike home.

You get the picture.

Hello Neville, I purchased both……ended up installing the (rather expensive) little silver cylinder head protectors (crossing my fingers they actually do something useful in a tip over), although as mentioned above, I also think the black crashbars will probably help the most. Actually, if t you decide on the black crashbars, my set is for sale, still new in plastic, never installed, pm me and maybe we can workout a good price for them since I know I won’t install them.

Also, Viewpoint’s nice photo above did remind me to mention…… I’d HIGHLY recommend at least a “Fender Extender” and or a radiator guard! After only 150 miles on some of my favorite backroads, I took a rather good sized pebble/small rock that if any bigger or deeper would have started a leak. Big enough that while standing ahead and to the right front of the bike on its stand, it’s visible. I’ve since even installed a SW Motech Skidplate.

Well Guzzifly, I hope you have better luck with the head protecrors (don't even try them) that I had with the bars. My first V100 Mandello S was taken out several weeks ago (elderly confused snowbird making a sudden lefrt turn from the right lane). The only significant damage was the front wheel when it hit the sidewalk and the headers. The cylinder head was untouched so the bars worked there. I think the pipes coming out from the sides are super vulnerable.

Maybe the combination of bars and silver head protectors will be better? I just got a new Mandello S and Plan to install both.

Anyone with cracked pipes in just a moderate crash?

Stay Out of Town

Major part of the problem here is looks.
The most striking feature of any Guzzi is the visual impact of seeing those heads unobstructed and caging them in ruins that.
Fixes the practical side but usually ruins the aesthetics.
One has to get over the change in appearance when going with bar work as opposed to simply adding another fin to the head.

The most striking feature of any Guzzi is the visual impact of seeing those heads unobstructed and caging them in ruins that.
One has to get over the change in appearance when going with bar work as opposed to simply adding another fin to the head.

I agree Chris. The looks are great but I personally would prefer a litlle more functionality. Despite the bars my pipes cracked and the quote from Guzzi (pipes without the muffler) was close to $2000 US and like two months for delivery here in Arizona--an expensive
proposition.

I agree……the visuals of the V100 lends itself to add….NOTHING! It’s stunning out of the box! It’s a problem I have with my brain, “wanting/thinking” it (V100) needs some kind of protection from years of previous bike programming…..and some simple tip overs or small dirt bike crashes. In the end, so many variables that’s it’s virtually impossible to know something is better than nothing.

The older design (my 2017 V7 III) with the headers coming out the front is in my opinion better looking and less likely to take damage.

I've got the Hepco and Becker bars and to be honest, I think they look great. In the event the bike goes down, I have a much higher chance of minor damage. If it gets totaled, I'll happily buy another set for my new V100.
TempImagejWxtym

Back