• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Headlight (& other stuff) not working, 2000 V11 Sport

Bassguy1111

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hi there. My ‘00 V11 Sport has decided to shut down its headlight and left hand controls (with the exception of the turn signals). I’m pretty sure it’s a ground issue but I’m not 100%. I took apart the controls and cleaned them, cleaned the ignition switch and I seem to be getting juice to the controls. I believe there’s an essential ground point coming off the voltage regulator but I’m not sure where I should look for the specific ground point that would be responsible for this issue. Fuses and relays seem fine. New battery and bike turns over and runs fine. I’m a relative electricity novice and I’d really appreciate any advice you might have out there. I have a feeling that if I just locate and repair this ground point all will be good (in my dreams.) Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the replay and the schematic. Are you referring to the BLU - R/N that routes through the horn switch? Not sure which R / N, sorry for my idiocy. I'm assuming R / N is rosso nerro or red black and there are several in the schematic.

C8F0216D C80F 4351 921F 9E5020240955
I assume like you said R is Rosso
And N is Nero
The light switch in the horn Are both running together...
Turn signal has a different feed..

That generation Guzzi came with crappy relays in addition, they are somewhat exposed. I'd replace them one at a time with a known good 5 prong. Also clean them and the holders with deoxit or at least contact cleaner. I always replace all of them with new 5 prongs.

=
View attachment 29868
I assume like you said R is Rosso
And N is Nero
The light switch in the horn Are both running together...
Turn signal has a different feed..
Thanks so much for this info. It certainly makes sense that the issue is somewhere in that wiring sequence so I’ll double check. Are the left hand controls grounded in any way to the left handlebar?

That generation Guzzi came with crappy relays in addition, they are somewhat exposed. I'd replace them one at a time with a known good 5 prong. Also clean them and the holders with deoxit or at least contact cleaner. I always replace all of them with new 5 prongs.
Time to pull out the deoxit. I’ll try swapping and spraying and give them another shot. Probably should replace all of them. It looks to me like the previous owner has already replaced one of them, so it couldn’t hurt. Thanks!

=

Thanks so much for this info. It certainly makes sense that the issue is somewhere in that wiring sequence so I’ll double check. Are the left hand controls grounded in any way to the left handlebar?
No... no ground onto the handle bar..

Do you have a diagram for your bike?
You probably can find it here on the forum.. without it you’re working in the dark..
Find it and print it out and then “enhance” it with highlighters

Relays are a known source for electrical problems just as @Vagrant suggested!

Do you have a diagram for your bike?
You probably can find it here on the forum.. without it you’re working in the dark..
Find it and print it out and then “enhance” it with highlighters

Relays are a known source for electrical problems just as @Vagrant suggested!
Yup, just did exactly that. I have the V11 owner’s manual with the foldout schematic but it was pretty dim to my superannuated eyes. This morning I realized that I could just scan it and enhance it so I did. No more flying blind!

Problem solved. Focused on the relays and cleaned/deoxit-ed them up but no change. Then I just played a shell game swap since they’re the same specs and found a combo that brought the dead electrics back to life. I’m just going to buy a few relays and keep them with me for the ride for when they inevitably fail in 3 to 30,000 miles. Predictability is NOT why we ride Guzzis.

Thanks so much for your help! I’m sure I’m going to be back soon ;-)

Of course. Got a new set on order already from Dan Prunuske at DPCycle. That doesn't mean I won't fit in a couple of rides before they get here! Naturally they'll be daytime rides just in case ;-)

Of course. Got a new set on order already from Dan Prunuske at DPCycle. That doesn't mean I won't fit in a couple of rides before they get here! Naturally they'll be daytime rides just in case ;-)
You probably could’ve picked them up at Todd’s...
I would guess he has those...

Just replace them now before they fail. On your bike an extra ground wire between the voltage regulator and frame doesn't hurt either. common problem on EV's.
Hi Vagrant. What’s your experience for the extra ground wire?
Thx

Back