• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Headsets

Stelvio Obsessed

Just got it firing!
I've ordered myself the Garmin Zumo 550 based on reviews and comments online but now comes the tricky question of what headset/communication device to get. I hope to connect the Zumo to the centre windshield bracket.

All I want is to be able to hear gps instructions, chat to my pillion passenger, use my bluetooth phone and possibly an ipod/FM connection. I'd also ideally like the earphones to reduce wind noise for those long..fast days in Europe. Is this too much to ask for?

I've been looking at the Cardo Scala sets. Any advice on this or any better sets. I have a shark evoline helmet.

Hi
Talking of the Shark Evoline helmet..........I have one, unfortunately! Do you find any of the following:
1. It mists up at the drop of a hat and especially in the rain
2. In the rain you have to crack the visor a little, which is very difficult to accomplish and then you get water dropping down the inside of the visor and still the mist remains
3. You have to obscure your forward vision with your hand in order to engage the visor lift notch which is rediculously located at the top edge of the visor
4.The sun visor is ineffective because its insufficiently dark
5. Its too heavy and too noisy
6. Apart from that its perfect
Its a great idea, especially for touring where you get the flexibility in one helmet to be open or closed face and integral sun visors (Schuberth especially) are great for changing light conditions (especially in and out of tunnels), but its very poorly executed.
Sorry to divert attention from your main question.

I put a hard wired AutoCom system on my EV. MP3 player, GPS, intercom plus I added the bluetooth interface for the phone.
On long trips, I need to charge the cameras and cell phones. The thought of keeping helmets charged also was too depressing.

Not sure what/if/when I will add something to the Stelvio. So far I think the wife likes the seating on it better then the EV.

Now if it just had a trailer hitch...... :laugh:

I use a BAEHR system and it is absolutely the ducks nuts, couldn't be happier. Connects Zumo/Ipod/UHF. I will be installing the same system on my Stelvio - when and if one ever becomes available here :angry:

Install pictures on Breva LINK HERE

IMO Bluetooth helmets are a PITA - batteries to charge for one thing, and you only have to do a bit of reading other forums (see the phones and bluetooth duscussion at Zumo forums below) to see tales of dropouts, and poor connectivity abound - it is not as easy or simple as the glossy brochures would have you believe. As to the wire form the helmet - non issue, takes a second to connect, and you just don't even know it's there, and best of all it is absolutely reliable.

ZUMO Forum LINK HERE

I recently helped a mate who had trouble with a Starcom on his KTM990 Adventure, and I have to say that although it worked OK I was not very impressed with the setup features, nor design of the connectors or box.

pbears wrote:
Hi
Talking of the Shark Evoline helmet..........I have one, unfortunately! Do you find any of the following:
1. It mists up at the drop of a hat and especially in the rain
2. In the rain you have to crack the visor a little, which is very difficult to accomplish and then you get water dropping down the inside of the visor and still the mist remains
3. You have to obscure your forward vision with your hand in order to engage the visor lift notch which is rediculously located at the top edge of the visor
4.The sun visor is ineffective because its insufficiently dark
5. Its too heavy and too noisy
6. Apart from that its perfect
Its a great idea, especially for touring where you get the flexibility in one helmet to be open or closed face and integral sun visors (Schuberth especially) are great for changing light conditions (especially in and out of tunnels), but its very poorly executed.
Sorry to divert attention from your main question.

Hi pbears,

When I say I have one, what I actually mean is I bought one last Friday and its in the post. After reading your above comments I'm slightly less enthusiastic about it! :unsure: lol.

I have heard the air circulation is not great, which explains the misting, and that the sun visor isn't dark enough which is so it meets the US helmet standards but I really hope the other points won't be true.

Thanks for the comments re bluetooth, I think I wanted bluetooth as its another gadget and I'm a big kid but the sensible option seems to be wired so I'm looking into the BAEHR and Autocom.

Cheers

I have a SHOEI Multitec helmet with Pinlock : works perfect , never damped vizor.
The SHOEI is a bit loud , so after 4 years I think I will replace it by the new SHOEI Neotec that will be avaialble in Europe as from March 2012.

For the communication with my Zumo 550 : I have a Cardo Scala set . Works OK till speeds of 80 km / 100 km hr; above this speed the communication becomes more difficult because of the wind noise. I think partly due also to the fact that the Multitec is a noisy helmet.I hope that the Neotec will be better.

I can take the Cardo set and move it without any problem from the Multitec to the Neotec.
Thats why I don't switch to a Shubert C3 - also budget reasons;

rgds
Marc(Belgium)

I run a XD3 (wife has Arai Signet) with the Cardio set. Works good.. no real complaints... music quality could be better i guess.... lasts for 2-3 12+hr days with out issue. works bike to bike (wife has her own bike) and is good for a reasonable separation.
The best part in my opinion is that it is tiny and very light. No cables to connect or forget to disconnect. No button to push to talk etc. You truly do not notice it is attached to the helmet other than the mic. wand in front of your mouth. This is easily located where ever convenient or to move so wind noise does not trip the vox.
The built in fm radio I find to be a pita to use but have not put any effort into figuring it out as I always use a music player of some sort.
The blue tooth works as intended and is easy to pair to devises.

It is the smallest and lightest system I have seen.

I switched from a wired system to a Sena SMH10 bluetooth system about a year ago. The Sena system is loud enough that I use it with earplugs in, and it still blasts through at high speeds. And the one rotary knob system makes it easy to use with gloves on.

Me and wife switched from an autocom system which worked well, but I damaged quite a few cables when I forget to unplug before marching off (getting older but no smarter it seems) to a pair of Nolans with their Ncom bluetooth system but when I replace my helmet later this year will go back to a wired system for touring 2up as I seldom remember to charge both before we go out for the day so one goes flat and while touring I don't like to leave them charging on the bike, on the plus side for the bluetooth systems we have used them bike to bike when the wife is out on her bike as well. A mate has a bt intercom set for less than £65 I've used bike to bike with him and it worked well as well as the Ncom look forward to the definative answer to this one, let us know what you go for, cheers

Shrike said:
I run a XD3 (wife has Arai Signet) with the Cardio set. Works good.. no real complaints... music quality could be better i guess.... lasts for 2-3 12+hr days with out issue. works bike to bike (wife has her own bike) and is good for a reasonable separation.
The best part in my opinion is that it is tiny and very light. No cables to connect or forget to disconnect. No button to push to talk etc. You truly do not notice it is attached to the helmet other than the mic. wand in front of your mouth. This is easily located where ever convenient or to move so wind noise does not trip the vox.
The built in fm radio I find to be a pita to use but have not put any effort into figuring it out as I always use a music player of some sort.
The blue tooth works as intended and is easy to pair to devises.

It is the smallest and lightest system I have seen.

I second Shrike's assessment. I used an Autocom system for years, and I have found the Cardo Scala to be better in every respect. The charge is long lasting, and the sound quality is excellent, even at elevated highway speeds.

Cheers,

Bruce

I have a tom tom rider2 recon from ebay ,cheap and works well. I bought a Nolan n-com helmet and their bluetooth system and it works really well too. The tom tom breaks in on the mp3 player with directions loud and clear. The blue tooth phone thing,doesn't work as well, but maybe I haven't set it up properly. I don't use the phone much anyway. Oveall I am quite happy. I mounted the tom tom with a Ram mount as it did not come with one. It works well. It is plugged in under the seat to the cigar lighter. Be careful though I fried my first Tom tom rider one by wiring it into 12 volts. They only take 5 volts and are not fixable. Back to ebay. Good Luck.

We have the cardo rider and have it hooked up to a rider 1 tom tom and an i-river player. I don't want the phone facility, they can wait until I stop. My only complaint is that going through Denmark and Norway last year it got drowned and packed up, I picked up another yellow master unit off fleabay new for £90. On the Kristiansand ferry I got talking to a guy whose ex-wife lives in Bergen (he lives in SW London) he rides up there a lot to see his kids and recons to lose a Cardo every other trip.

Anyone got any good ideas about keeping the worst of the weather off cardo's as we're going up to Norway and Sweden this year ?
Ray

I have a Garmin 665 with XM radio that goes through my Autocom Super Pro Automatic. I also have the Kenwood radios for bike to bike. I also blue tooth my phone through the GPS as well. In the next week or so, I'll be installing a TPX radar detector that will also run through the Autocom.

The helmet speakers are installed in an AGV AX-8 Dual Sport helmet.

The AutoCom works great for me. There may be better solutions out there, but the Autocom works every time. Never an issue. This is my third one and all have been spotless.

""the Autocom works every time. Never an issue. This is my third one"" :?:

Back