• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

heat

Roblatt

High Miler
This may seem a silly question, but I'm not technically minded.

I've recently moved my B11 from the garage to a shipping container (I've run out of room in the garage). Anyway, now that summer is coming here in Oz, it got me thinking, would temperatures around the 50-60 degree C have adverse effects on the bike? Oils, seals, other etc.

I know they run hotter than that, but all the fluids are moving, while when parked it may be different.

any thoughts

thanks

Robert

I guess (parts of) the bike could easily reach those temperatures if you let it sit in direct sunlight in a place shielded from the wind. Yet, it won't hurt to see if there's an indication about storage temperature ranges in the documentation. If not, have a look what the documentation of your various electronics equipment has to say about that; there are at least 2 computers in your bike, and they're completely off only when you pull the battery.

50 - 60 degrees C (120 - 140 degrees F) likely would not blow anything up, but it would not help things. Your gas would have a shorter life, so would your tires and anything else rubber. I doubt anything would directly fail from those temps, but checking your manual would be a good idea.

Most off the shelf electronics have an operating range of +/- 40 C. The storage range will be somewhat larger. You may want to let things cool a little before turning power on if it's really hot in there.

everything deteriorates as a function of time and heat.

Any polymer will loose its properties at those temps, faster than it will at room temp. simple as that. Tires, Gromets on fuel tank mounts, that shitty "plasti-chrome" and so forth. Will it be noticeable over the span of the bike? i doubt it.

Your Guzzi deserves nothing but the best: Install an air-con unit on the container!

OK, to be a bit more serious.....I'd be very concerned....I know just how hot a steel container can get in even moderate UK sunshine having had one as site storage (I had some plastic stuff start to soften even if they didn't actually melt). You could end up slow roasting the bike! So what about a couple of small solar powered ventilation fans? It would keep the air circulating thru' the container. At the very least drill plenty of ventilation holes top & bottom and of course don't put the bike in there until the engine has cooled right down.

If you are going to use one of those "whirly things" to suck the hot air out, that only works well if there's fresh, cool air to replace it. Otherwise, you just end up with stagnant air once the pressure inside reaches equillibrium.

I like the fan idea. Put some cooling holes in the bottom, and a fan on the top. Since heat rises, it will draw cool air up from the bottom.

Also, if the winds always blow a steady direction, (like they do where i live) then you can just put cooling holes accordingly.

As i said before, i dont think you would notice anything over the lifespan of the bike, but who knows what plastics guzzi uses. If nothing else, keeping the shed cool would make taking the bike out a whole lot more pleasant.

Ahh techo techo techo your all full of shit, :lol: Will is the only one who is getting close to the solution with the aircon idea.

But I would go one better and install a bar fridge as well as an air con - as Will said the bike deserves TLC and what better way than a bit of company on long hot nights in air conditioned comfort with a couple of cool draughts.

Funny thing is, I've got a spare aircon unit. Me thinks the cost of powering it would be excessive. While mt bike is precious, it's only a bike. As long as no serious/dangerous damage occurs, I can live with degradation over time as little bits here and there can be replaced at service intervals.

Incase your curious, the spare aircon unit is a back up for my cool-room. Wine is rather delicate.
Robert

I just measured the temp inside the container, 41.2C. The outside temp in full sun with no breeze was 34.8. So I'm not going to worry any more. We do occasionally get 40C days but I imagine the container will then be low 50's, and they're only 5-10 days a year anyway.

When it gets hotter (last year up to 48.9C), the bike is usually stored in some elses' garage because that's bushfire season here and I ship out anything I want saved in advance.

Robert

I'll think you'll be right Rob, I've had my Jackal in a container for the last 18 months (used as a garage, not storage ie taken out and riden most weekends) with no problems.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Robb why have you not moved the dresser out of the master bedroom? Or cleaned out the walk through robe? ? ? I bet you wouldn't contemplate putting you reds in a bloody stinking hot container (and if ya are I'll have to come over and rescue 'em....ditto with the bike ) I'm sure there would be plenty of room somewhere in the house ;) ;)

PS I'll let you keep it at my place!

Thanks Waz, that's what I needed to hear.

Kym, what can I say? A practical solution for all problems. Rescue 'em ya reckon? I'll drink 'em before they get wrecked. Besides, a polished gentleman as yourself would turn his high nose at the battlers home brew.

Rob

Meanwhile, to avoid temperatures getting too high, why not tinker up a make-shift roof above the container, allowing for airflow underneath? And, if you can, paint or cover the outside with a good light/heat reflective paint/material. It should be possible to go a long way with that.

And if that's not enough, an outside sprinkler installation will do nicely, too B)

RJVB said:
Meanwhile, to avoid temperatures getting too high, why not tinker up a make-shift roof above the container, allowing for airflow underneath? And, if you can, paint or cover the outside with a good light/heat reflective paint/material. It should be possible to go a long way with that.

And if that's not enough, an outside sprinkler installation will do nicely, too B)

No, I've decided to get a couple of minimum wagers, pay them cash to save about 30%, and have them wave palm fronds over the Guzzi while misting it with cool spring water.

RJVB said:

Sounds like the right thing to do, with a roof over it painting shouldn't be necessary. If the container is not vented you may want to add openings to the top and bottom portion of the container to allow hot air to escape.

Back