• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated Clothing, and Other Connections

famo

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello All,

I just picked up my '09 Stelvio here in NYC where I live, (actually I picked it up in Brooklyn at the Piaggio/Vespa/Aprillia/Guzzi dealer there). I have not seen any posts about running accessory leads off the battery and I'm sure it's such a basic issue that no one needs information on it - but for an Adventure newbie such as myself, it's a slightly puzzling world. My other bike is a KTM Super Duke, and although I ride it all winter long, I never bothered to put any leads for clothing, gps, or radar off the, very difficult to get to, battery. However I did run a SAE batt lead off it! The world of coaxial, SAE, mini and maxi cigarette lighter connectors is a bit of a mystery to me.

However, I'm planning to do lots of 2-up rides this winter and definitely will need heat for my lovely passenger! Any advice, set-up tips etc. would be most welcome. I have taken the seat off and peeked at the battery posts, they look very different to me. A friend recommended Powerlet as a good source for connectors and leads, but I was hoping for some Stelvio-specific hints :)

http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by ... 07#formtop

Thanks for all the informative posts here - and thanks in advance for taking the time to reply to my post :side:

Jesse

Hopefully, someone will give some Stelvio specifc advice, but until then, in general it would be a good idea to install an auxilliary fuse panel first, and run the accessory gear from there. It makes the install much cleaner (less stuff hanging off the battery) and much easier to diagnose issues - IMHO. I used the universal aux panel from these folks - http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate.htm as well as this http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/02207.htm on my Norge.

There is a pre-installed GPS connector near the front.

For my electric clothing I run a fused connector directly to the battery. Then I can use that as a trickle charger connector also if needed. I just bring the plug up between the two seats where I can poke it down under the seat in the summer.

Make sure that any cable on the battery comes off the battery on the back. If any wires go off to the left or right, the seat brackets can cut into them.

StormShearon said:
Hopefully, someone will give some Stelvio specifc advice, but until then, in general it would be a good idea to install an auxilliary fuse panel first, and run the accessory gear from there. It makes the install much cleaner (less stuff hanging off the battery) and much easier to diagnose issues - IMHO. I used the universal aux panel from these folks - http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate.htm as well as this http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/02207.htm on my Norge.

Storm,

Thanks very much for your reply! I see your logic and wonder how all of that would fit under the Stelvio seat. I appreciate your offer of photos however I don't know how much good it would do me, don't know the Norge intimately. If you have some spare time though... I would love to see your setup. There seems to be room under my seat, I'll have another look at your fuse and ground boxes.

Thanks again for the guidance, Jesse

Wayne Orwig said:

For my electric clothing I run a fused connector directly to the battery. Then I can use that as a trickle charger connector also if needed. I just bring the plug up between the two seats where I can poke it down under the seat in the summer.

Make sure that any cable on the battery comes off the battery on the back. If any wires go off to the left or right, the seat brackets can cut into them.

Your wire run recommendation is perfect, thank you!

I've read here, in another thread about the connector on the gps lead and how it must be cut and re-connected, stock connector doesn't work.

I'm not quite sure how you use the same lead for trickle charger AND heated clothing lead. Do you have a SAE to coaxial adapter?? Assuming you use Gerbings which I believe are coax...

famo said:
I'm not quite sure how you use the same lead for trickle charger AND heated clothing lead. Do you have a SAE to coaxial adapter?? Assuming you use Gerbings which I believe are coax...

Actually, I made an adapter for the charger that fits the heated clothing plug on my bike.

Mine is an older Widder plug. Nothing else like it around.

If you think you will be adding a lot of stuff you might want a fuse block. I got mine at http://www.farkleshop.com/Products.html I got the 6 circuit one at the top of the page. It fits under the seat of the Stelvio. You can make each circuit switched or 'on' constantly by just moving the fuse. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon.

RokonRon said:
If you think you will be adding a lot of stuff you might want a fuse block. I got mine at http://www.farkleshop.com/Products.html I got the 6 circuit one at the top of the page. It fits under the seat of the Stelvio. You can make each circuit switched or 'on' constantly by just moving the fuse. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon.

I'd love to see it, and where you installed it. I think I'll be installing 2 Gerbings leads and the trickle charger lead. I intend to use the existing gps lead when I get there...

Your fuse box looks bitchin', do worry about it getting wet? Guess it hasn't has it?

Thanks so much for your help! By the way RR, is that an old YZ in your signature? Beautiful bike :D :D

I ran my Gerbings sockets right off the battery for my hook up and a seperate one for the wifes stuff to the passenger pillion.

Again, be carefull of the routing because the seat will cut the leads in half.

The Stelvio has enough of an alternator to power 2 Gerbings jacket liners, 2 sets of gloves and 1 set of electric pants and socks for the wife.

My dash volt meter never drops below 13.5 volts, I do keep the Guzzi driving lights off though when running all that stuff.

famo said:
I'd love to see it, and where you installed it. I think I'll be installing 2 Gerbings leads and the trickle charger lead. I intend to use the existing gps lead when I get there...
I mounted it next to the airbox on the left side with the velcro supplied. I have the seat in the high mounts, it will be a pretty tight fit with the seat lowered.
IMAG0176.jpg

I just pull it up to access the fuses.
IMAG0177.jpg

I hooked up my GPS connection to the #1 terminal and put the fuse in the constant side so that whenI stop the GPS stay on even when the key is off It doesn't take much current and I don't have to wait for it to boot up. I can also use the GPS with the key off. It looks like the Stelvio's existing GPS lead is switched 12v.
Your fuse box looks bitchin', do worry about it getting wet? Guess it hasn't has it?
It sits up pretty high and is covered by the seat, so I don't think it will be a problem.
Thanks so much for your help! By the way RR, is that an old YZ in your signature? Beautiful bike :D :D
That's my 1974 Rokon MX340C Cobra on the old infield MX track at Mid-Ohio during Vintage Motorcycles Days.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Wayne Orwig said:

There is?? First I have heard of this.. What type of connector do I look for?

There must be a lot of open connectors hidden in there.. :lol: I have not looked for any yet.. I plan to do some wiring over the next couple months. Lights, heated grips, euro signals, and now gps power. :blink:

kwn306 said:
I ran my Gerbings sockets right off the battery for my hook up and a seperate one for the wifes stuff to the passenger pillion.

Again, be carefull of the routing because the seat will cut the leads in half.

The Stelvio has enough of an alternator to power 2 Gerbings jacket liners, 2 sets of gloves and 1 set of electric pants and socks for the wife.

My dash volt meter never drops below 13.5 volts, I do keep the Guzzi driving lights off though when running all that stuff.

Yeah, the tech where I bought it told me the bike needs about 250 of the 500 available watts to run, and so accessories etc can take up about 2/3 of the balance. Your setup and numbers makes sense. Do you use the cigarette lighter for the pillion connection? (would need a lighter to coax adapter). Or run from the batt back to that position, being careful about the routing of course?

Is there anything tricky about actually mounting the leads to the battery? The posts look strange to me...

Thanks very much, Jesse

Attachments

• IMG_0304_web.jpg
    IMG_0304_web.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 412
That type of battery connection has been around on AGM batteries for a long time. It allows the battery to be mounter vertically or horizontally. The accessary connections should go between the bolt head and the main cables. Disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Connect up the positive with the additional wire, then the negative last.

RokonRon said:
famo said:
I mounted it next to the airbox on the left side with the velcro supplied. I have the seat in the high mounts, it will be a pretty tight fit with the seat lowered.
IMAG0176.jpg

I just pull it up to access the fuses.
IMAG0177.jpg

I hooked up my GPS connection to the #1 terminal and put the fuse in the constant side so that whenI stop the GPS stay on even when the key is off It doesn't take much current and I don't have to wait for it to boot up. I can also use the GPS with the key off. It looks like the Stelvio's existing GPS lead is switched 12v.
It sits up pretty high and is covered by the seat, so I don't think it will be a problem.
That's my 1974 Rokon MX340C Cobra on the old infield MX track at Mid-Ohio during Vintage Motorcycles Days.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Very nice job! And thanks so much for posting the pictures!! It's a huge help. Thanks for the gps tip as well.

I have my seat up high also, so it will fit, and stay dry too.

Wow, very cool. I just read a little about them, I've seen pictures of the MK3 years ago but forgot the name. Never knew they made a mx'er. Very nice. The pipe angle has something from a Maico 503, but it was yellow so I guessed Yamaha... :oops:

Thanks again,

Jesse

john zibell said:
That type of battery connection has been around on AGM batteries for a long time. It allows the battery to be mounter vertically or horizontally. The accessary connections should go between the bolt head and the main cables. Disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Connect up the positive with the additional wire, then the negative last.

Perfect, exactly what I needed John!

Thank you so much,

Jesse

kmartin said:
Ron,

Where did you pick up the switched line for the fuse box?

Keith

Keith,

I used the tail light wire. I didn't have a wiring diagram a the time so I just turned the key on and poked around with a voltmeter until I found 12 volts. :D

Ron

Back