• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated grips

Problem solved, the heated grips are now working! I was able to roll back the rubber on the grips, although the twistgrip one was glued and had to be carefully cut away. This revealed the cable with black and brown wires connecting to the heater.

The left hand one started working immediately, but the right was dead. I measured 13v on both terminals on the grip, indicating that the ground was missing. Traced it back to the connector, bad connection between the wire and connector. Soldered the wire back on, although I may consider replacing the connectors altogether, as they are obviously not reliable.

Then went back to the left one, and measured the connection to ground while shaking the connector. It too had an intermittent, again the ground (brown) wire not contacting continuously with the connector. Pulled the wire until it came away, and soldered back on. Then I cable tied the wires on both sides of the connectors to the frame to discourage movement.

All working, but those connectors have been warned, any more shenanigans and they will both be replaced with something more reliable. Thanks everyone who offered advice.

All I need now is some winter to try them out. Any up there in the northern hemisphere? :lol:

I've installed the Oxford grips on my '06 Breva 1100, it was a bit of work to get the throttle grip on, everything else was straight forward. The appearance, with that added controller and big wire connections to the grips, is not as slick at the factory units. Haven't taken them out for a ride yet but the Oxford has 4 heat levels. The highest setting gets pretty hot. It seems the 4 levels is useful feature. How do you all with factory heated grips like the 2 level setting?

Does anybody know if the '07 MG heated grips without the dash button work on an '06 Breva that has the spare button spot. It would be nice to eliminate the button and control it through the mode switch on the left. Did the '06 & '07 Brevas have a different dash and or switch?

thanks

I forgot to update on my project. I installed the heatpads without to much troubles. I removed and reinstalled factory grips without any chemicals. I applied some heat from a heatgun to get rubber softer, but not sure if it make any difference. The throttle had ribs on it, and I removed them with a knife. The heatpads I bought were for ATVs and snowmobile, and they carried a warning about danger of melting a motorcycle throttle. The heatpads have low and high heating elements, so I decided to use low on throttle side and high on the clutch side, to compensate for heatsinking effect of metal handlebar. I connected the heatpads to stock grip connectors under the fuel tank. For lack of better idea I re-purposed the rarely needed emergency flashers button to control the heat settings. Everything worked, but heat output, while more or less even between the grips was rather low. Couple of days later the clutch side quit altogether. I'll see what I can do next time I'll remove the tank.

Rafael said:
It seems the 4 levels is useful feature. How do you all with factory heated grips like the 2 level setting?

The factory grips are single level, the three levels are provided by the instrument computer modulating the power to the grips.

Rafael said:
Does anybody know if the '07 MG heated grips without the dash button work on an '06 Breva that has the spare button spot. It would be nice to eliminate the button and control it through the mode switch on the left. Did the '06 & '07 Brevas have a different dash and or switch?

I'm a little confused by your question. The earlier Brevas had the button for the heated grips on top of the triple tree beside the emergency flashers button. The latter ones used the forward little switch on the left handlebar controls that was the originally the mode switch for the earlier models.

In any case, the heated grips themselves are not interchangable. I tried to fit earlier grips to a later Norge, but found the angle that the cable left the throttle heater was incorrect. Looking a bit closer, the earlier Breva throttle cables were routed above the front brake lever, whereas the later Norge cables went under. I suspect the later Breva would be the same as the Norge.

I can confirm that the later Breva grips are the same as the Norge.

I have on previous bikes had several makes of heated grips, Motrax, Oxford etc and found them all to be "adequate" at best. I admit that the MG ones are quite expensive, but after fitting them a couple of days ago, have to say that they really are superb!
The three temperature settings range from "warm and toasty" :p to "cook your breakfast on" :evil: - it still gets a bit cool here in the mornings, but full power was too much for me.
Definitely worth the extra guys if you can stretch to it. ;)

On my 2007 Norge the emergency (4 way) flashers will come on and stay on without the switch being actuated.
It usually happens at higher throttle angles (merging onto highway etc) any ideas?

On my 2007 Norge the emergency (4 way) flashers will come on and stay on without the switch being actuated.
It usually happens at higher throttle angles (merging onto highway etc) any ideas?

My guess is that moisture has caused some issues with your dash.

My left blinker comes on when I give it the berries with the hurry handle. Italian electrics are awesome.

Kgilb, I would imagine the switch is toast on your dash. From memory these are not horrifically expensive. Mine once "failed to proceed". I looked at repairing it but it's all surface mounted (Led, PCB, switch and other components within the switch assembly) and I can't even see it, so I purchased a new one - no issues since. methinks you need to do the same... unless it is all loose - worth a try, right royal bitch to get to though.

Thanks All,
Its almost WInter storage time here in KS, I will tear it down and report back!

Back