• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hello to all Guzziistas

GUZIRDR

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have never owened a street bike b4. I am coming from Dirt. I am interested in purchasing the Stelvio but have been getting mixed reviews and opinios on the Bike. One is Reliability and second is Parts. Getting Parts from what i understand are very hard to get. Does anyone have any good advise for me regarding wanting to purchase this Motorcycle..

Parts; are slow to come by, same as Aprillia. MG factory is in Italy and therefore works under Italian law, work day consists of 4 hours work, 2 hours espresso breaks and 2 hours for lunch, dont order anything after lunch.
I've worked for an Italian manufacturer for over 20 years, also, dont order anythng during August, Italy, like France and Spain is closed.
Reliability; early 8v engines suffered cam follower failure and a few small electrical glitches............now should be all sorted.
General; wanting to purchase this motorcycle...................go ahead, I've done 12,000 miles now and love it to bits. I've been riding my ST1100 through the winter months.Got back on the Stelvio today with a quick ride down to London and back, 480 miles. Loved it.
What more can I say.........long distance tourer........with real attitude.

Getting WARRANTY parts can be problematic in the US.

Older Guzzis are covered by a few mail order dealers very well. Grey market parts you might call it. Drive train parts for those are easy to get. Cosmetic parts on old bikes can be an issue as you might expect.

Brand new bikes still in warranty, sometimes easy, sometimes difficult.

In some way I am relieved when my Guzzi goes out of warranty.

In the end, it comes down to the dealer, particularly on a new bike. Find a good dealer before you go any farther.

Thanks alot for the info.....It has been helpful......I love the bike and can't see myself getting the all so popular GS form BMW. Should I let the dealer know about the cam follower problem b4 riding the bike off the show room????? Is it something that should be taken care of b4 the biike has any miles put on?

Gigio wrote:
Thanks alot for the info.....It has been helpful......I love the bike and can't see myself getting the all so popular GS form BMW. Should I let the dealer know about the cam follower problem b4 riding the bike off the show room????? Is it something that should be taken care of b4 the biike has any miles put on?
If you're in L.A. we're neighbors. If you're buying in L.A. (likely MGTO), yes caveat emptor. See the 1200 8V tech post I posted (this morning) in the main Tech section at the top of the Forum list.
Parts, for the most part, are only a few days away unless it is a new-found/unknown issue... then it could take a few weeks. Generally speaking, Guzzis in general have proven as (or more) reliable then any other brand. I have 13Xk+ miles on my '00... it lived nearly stock to 100k... since then, a "few mods" have been made.

Look forward to getting your info for the Registry

Drop in on the Southwest Forum here too and say Hi, and look forward to seeing you on one of our monthly rides.

Gigio wrote:
Should I let the dealer know about the cam follower problem b4 riding the bike off the show room????? Is it something that should be taken care of b4 the biike has any miles put on?

I just debated this for a long time. But I gave in and just bought the bike last week. That means it needs tha cams, not just the tappets. Labor wise, it is the same. This way I can put a few thousand miles on it and enjoy it instead of looking at it.

Guzzi had a cam issue (actually, a supplier goofed up the valve spring force) a few years ago. It took them a while to figure out that valve spring was the problem. All bikes in the range got new valve trains and the fix was basically 100%. I have 75,000 miles on my 04. I feel they will nail this issue also, so I didn't hesitate to buy. They appear to already have a good fix, but it may take a couple of months to produce and ship the fix. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the ride.

PS, if you do buy it, measure and record/adjust the EXACT valve clearances. Pretty easy. Then at the first service, repeat that to look for anything unusual.

Welcome Gigio, Been mostly on the Dirt eh!!!! FANTASTIC make sure you take lots of pics of your and your Stelvio roosting it.

I for one will be interested on how a Stelvio will handle a berm corner :silly:

Sadly, I am still to set eyes on one, went to the Gold Coast Bike show last weekend with high hopes that I might get to clap my beedy little eyes on one, and maybe even be able to swing a leg over, but in all their wisdom the Aus importer have decided to keep all three bikes they have here a secret, and in fact didn't even turn up.

And so we wait...... :angry:

Back