• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help, anyone know what these are??????

azccj

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Today I decided to do my 12.5K service on my Norge and when I opened up the air-box I found inside the round replaceable air filter the two foam pieces you see below. They seem to be made out of the same material as the foam that sits on top of the air-box cover and had no sign of being compressed. I looked at the Norge parts diagram I have but no sign of the foam pieces there. Any one got an idea where they go, what they are for or if they don't go anywhere and where accidentally dropped into the air-box by the factory guys during the assembly? Where they were at posed no risk to the engine since it appears that air is drawn into the inside of the filter and exits the exterior of the filter.

Also, I'm a little pissed off about the air filter I bought from MG Cycle for the Norge. Take a look at the photo below and you'll notice that the MG Cycle air filter, (the one with the black rubber), is slightly taller than the OEM air filter, (the one with the blue rubber). And the OEM filter's rubber is softer. After noticing this I test fitter the MG Cycle filter and sure enough it looks like it will not allow the air-box top to properly seal. Without the air-box sealed correctly, unfiltered air will be drawn into the air-box around the edges of the lid, or the lid will be deformed if you try to tighten it down. WTF. Nothing pisses me off more than paying for something that doesn't work like it should. I'll be reinstalling the OEM filter since it didn't look dirty at all. And I'll be giving MG Cycle a call tomorrow.

Important lesson learned here. Ask before you buy, if the filter is OEM and if it isn't pay a few dollars more and get the OEM from the dealer.

Total agreement here. With a $14-15,000 motorcycle I try to stay with OEM as much as possible. I really don't care if a Pep Boys oil filter or Home Boys Network air filter works - how much are you going to save over the life of the bike?

Now that you have those two pieces of foam out, just leave them out and don't worry about them. For an air filter, yes thr OEM is a perfect fit. I've installed the K&N and it fits perfect as well. I think I'd pass on the taller filter. It isn't taller by much, but if you can't completely close the aribox, then it is too tall.

I'd guess they are mattresses for the engine gnomes to lay on when they are sleeping...

Azccj.....the two foam pieces are out of the rubber inlet snorkel...they`re stuck to the upper surface inside and are just to act as a
" silencer" to the inlet air......so nowt to worry about...:cheer:

I removed the rubber snorkel as part of the airbox mods I did (post is on page 5 by now!). Its soft rubber so wont be damaged and easily refitted if necessary.

Hope this helps,

Eric B)

azccj wrote:
Also, I'm a little pissed off about the air filter I bought from MG Cycle for the Norge. Take a look at the photo below and you'll notice that the MG Cycle air filter, (the one with the black rubber), is slightly taller than the OEM air filter, (the one with the blue rubber). And the OEM filter's rubber is softer. After noticing this I test fitter the MG Cycle filter and sure enough it looks like it will not allow the air-box top to properly seal. Without the air-box sealed correctly, unfiltered air will be drawn into the air-box around the edges of the lid, or the lid will be deformed if you try to tighten it down. WTF. Nothing pisses me off more than paying for something that doesn't work like it should. I'll be reinstalling the OEM filter since it didn't look dirty at all. And I'll be giving MG Cycle a call tomorrow.

Important lesson learned here. Ask before you buy, if the filter is OEM and if it isn't pay a few dollars more and get the OEM from the dealer.
CIMG1401.JPG

Hey go easy on Rick and Gorden at MG cycles, they are stand up guys and will correct what the problem is. I went with the K&N on the norge and it was a perfect fit. Looking at the picture I honestly don't see a problem. who makes it ?

I put one of those filters like the MG one in with no problems.

Back