• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

help! Breva 1100 died on the highway

dangish

Just got it firing!
Hi all, first post, first month with my 2007 Breva 1100... I loved the bike up until today! I just had a rip to the hardware store, was on my way back when the bike suddenly and abruptly died. I coasted to a vacant lot and began to tinker, ended up pushing the bike a good 16 blocks home.

Bike turns over, and will occasionally idle for 10 20 seconds before dying again. Any application of throttle kills it immediately. I checked the plugs, they are firing. All fuses in tact. I pulled the injectors and both of them are squirting fuel, I'm no mechanic but appears to be working correctly.

ECU showed a couple of older (memory) codes, I cleared them and nothing new appeared.

Appreciate any suggestions on what I should try troubleshooting next. I'm handy, but as layman as possible would be great.

God bless the experts who dedicate time to helping others! I sure hope this is an easy fix, I've really fallen in love with this bike.

Dan

Be sure you have spark at the plugs. If so, then check the fuel filter and hoses inside the tank. It will require removing the fuel pump assembly from the bottom of the tank. Fuel hose may be loose, split, or filter could be split. This will result in insufficient pressure to the injectors. Or if you can hook a pressure gauge to the fuel line, you should have about 40 psi or better of fuel pressure.

A 2007 Breva will have one of those half plastic filters in the tank, unless it has been changed. These filters were designed for use with diesel systems, not petrol/gasolene, which dissolves the adhesive between the two parts.
You need a Knef KL145 filter, or the UFI equivalent, both of which are all metal.

10% Ethanol in your fuel will eat through some of those plastic components.

Fantastic, thx guys. I was definitely thinking fuel pump/fuel system related, this helps me know what to look for. The wife won't let me work on her on mothers day, ill tackle it tomorrow after work and post back the results.

Sure enough, plastic on the filter separated from the metal piece....new filter on its way. Thx for the advice!

ghezzi said:
I don't think it has anything to do with Ethanol, I was told by Knef customer services here in the UK that the half plastic filters were designed to only be used with diesel fuel, and that normal petrol/gasolene would dissolve the adhesive holding the two parts together.
They very kindly sent me two all metal filters free of charge too. Can't complain about their customer service. I tried to get some information from Guzzi in the UK regarding which models and over what period these incorrect filters were fitted, still waiting for their response.

Brian UK said:
ghezzi said:
I don't think it has anything to do with Ethanol, I was told by Knef customer services here in the UK that the half plastic filters were designed to only be used with diesel fuel, and that normal petrol/gasolene would dissolve the adhesive holding the two parts together.

I don't know if the ethanol would be the cause, it is vilified as being the cause of any sort of problem to be had on a modern motorcycle these days though.

Ethanol is corrosive to certain rubber components however at least in the US car manufacturers began using ethanol resistant rubber bits in the fuel system when ethanol began widespread use in gasoline, back in the 1980's.

It is important to use hoses and fuel components which are ethanol resistant, I simply go to my local auto parts house as any hose or filter that is made for gasoline for a car is ethanol resistant.

I think the problem comes when these hoses/filters are submerged in the gasoline. If you go to the parts store you'll find that regular gas hose (ethanol resistant) is about 60 cents/foot. Regular gas hose for fuel injection is quite a bit more expensive but is (I think) a few dollars a foot. However fuel hose that is made to be submerged in gas is exponentially more expensive and not easy to come by.

I think the same might be true of the fuel filter, although I have no real information on this. It is possible that the fuel filter was meant for gasoline but was never meant to be submerged in gasoline and so the fuel attacks from the outside.

I believe that most of the fuel hose that motorcyclists like to use, at least for carbureted motorcycles, is the same old hose that they've been using since the dawn of time since it is relatively thin walled and looks good. However this is probably the same hose you get at the hardware store for your lawnmower which is not ethanol resistant and so you have problems.

Hmmm, anyone know if an '08 Breva 1200 would have the same filter ? (B12 is basically a naked 2V Norge)

I've mastered the plastic tank connector thingy, is the pump and filter easily removed from the tank ?

thanks,

magoo said:
Hmmm, anyone know if an '08 Breva 1200 would have the same filter ? (B12 is basically a naked 2V Norge)

I've mastered the plastic tank connector thingy, is the pump and filter easily removed from the tank ?

thanks,

I can't answer what type of filter is involved. I can tell you that removing the pump and filter from a Breva tank is much easier than an EV. The gasket is a re-useable type, but I'd have one on hand in case of a leak on assembly.

Bisbonian said:
I think the same might be true of the fuel filter, although I have no real information on this. It is possible that the fuel filter was meant for gasoline but was never meant to be submerged in gasoline and so the fuel attacks from the outside.
As I said above, I was told by the filter manufacturers, Knef, that this filter was designed to be used only with diesel fuel.
I can only assume that Guzzi got a job lot cheap and didn't ask the right questions. :?

Any 2V Breva owners know if this filter problem applies to their bikes ?

I think the factory had got the problem sorted by 2008 if that's what you wanted to know.
My 2006 build Norge had one, and a few later ones too that I know of. The Brevas and other models with in tank filters of the same era would also be affected.

Brian UK said:
ghezzi said:
They very kindly sent me two all metal filters free of charge too. Can't complain about their customer service. I tried to get some information from Guzzi in the UK regarding which models and over what period these incorrect filters were fitted, still waiting for their response.

Hi Brian,

Have you still got contact details for Knef customer services? I might have a similar problem, although I have not yet taken the bike apart.
My bike suddenly died while riding and it is as if there is no fuel getting to the engine.
My Breva is from 2005.

Ralf

A 2005 Breva will originaly have had the half plastic filter, so get hold of the correct all metal one and replace it. The UFI one is 31 760 00 and is generally cheaper than the Knef KL145. I got one for under a tenner from Opie Oils. I've seen the Knef ones for double that.

Back