• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help - I fear I might defect!

Mike.C

High Miler
What am I to do?

As you know the Stelvio in Aus is a rare beast indeed, and with no real idea of when it might be readily available and with Mandello in turmoil I suspect we may never see the NTX

Now to be honest I am a results driven type of bloke, and the result I am looking for is a dirt capable, long distance touring machine that can be used for a fun weekend on single track trails maybe once or twice a year, but primarily it needs to be capable for our planned round the world trip.

This has just appeared in the flea market of the Aus forum on ADVrider

P6050170.jpg

09 BMW F800 GS Sunset yellow

Brought new in January this year, standard and non ABS.

ok farkled as follows, No expenses have been spared on this bike and is ready to travel, tour or play.

1. ADV spec bash plate and crash bars, powdercoated black
2. fender extender
3. custom screen with support brace
4. custom colapsable gear shifter
5. BMW aventure series panniers and top box with matching locks to ignition including fitting kit, i had the fitting kit powder coated black because they stood out on the bike when the panniers were off in the silvery colour they were.
6. TKC front tyre, Mitas Rear E09- 80%
7. Garmin Zumo 550 gps
8. GME fixed mount TX3420 5w UHF CB with permanent fixed aerial
9. Custom headlight protector, aux driving lights and aerial mount
10. custom aluminium dash for switches.
11. Starcom1 Advance intercom system fixed hard wired into the bike
12. Custom Fuel storage pannier setup, total of 14litres of fuel extra on removeable aluminium mount and soft strapping.
13. side stand modification.
14. BMW hand guards and wind sheilds with custom bar end weights
15. standard height seat, heated grips, OBC, all the usual gear just no abs.
16. Pivot pegz
17. Remus stainless slip on
18. Front Brake reservior modification.
19. Custom number plate, LILGS, as in little gs compared to the big mother fu*kr 1200.. man dem big n heavy.

Its done just under 10,000 klm's and has been a great bike now its setup.

My head says that it is a better bike than the Stelvio for our intended purpose - lighter, better fuel mileage, more international support in far off places, a chain (simple), The Minister wants one so two bikes the same are better when traveling from a lot of perspectives, heaps cheaper, knobby tyres are a non issue due to sensible rim sizing, doesn't need expensive PCV black boxes to make it run on low octane fuel properly , The Minister says "Why would you want two Guzzis, they are a mechanics bike and that is not what we need for traveling, you've already got one of them" and I could go on and on..

BUT

My heart says that I want a Stelvio and would very much like to get the picture of me with it under the sign on the top of Stelvio Pass after having ridden it there via Africa - which after all is one of the primary inspirations for the idea of a RTW trip in the first place

Please help me - this morning I am about 80% for defecting

Hi...

You can go round the world on a R1 too but it's not the best tool for what you want to do is it? The 800GS is a great bike. I would think you would really bond spending so much time with it. If it were me... I would do the GS simply because it makes sense and it WILL take you off road... if you intend to do mostly tarmac and a few gravel roads you can ride almost anything really...

Vivo

Hi Gang

Ok So the cams melted and the fuel guage is shit, also the speedo sensor is crap: But what a bike;)

It's Big bold very comfy and rare. I will agree the fuel tank could be bigger but it tours and scratches, will hold its own on any british B road. Not yet tested off road but tyres play more of a part than machine.

The Bmw's localy are known as the clitorus bikes 'cause evey C*unt has got one:laugh:
Take a look at the Bm forums, What a tail of woe.

Front rotors dropping off, ABS that releases when applied hard and the imobilizer the imobilizes the bike so you cannot start it:woohoo:

Biggest myth: BMW's are built like Honda's:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What a load of old tripe.

You go ride one, the vibes alone will rattle your false teeth:laugh: :laugh:

Loftyjohn

Lofty John, that's hilarious,,, I've got to remember that one! Hey Mike from my searching before I bought a Stelvio, from what I can tell BMWs legendary reliability is a load! No different from any other piece of machinery some designs are better than others, but if the design is good (or at least reasonable) all machines have their strengths and weaknesses. There is a thread on ADV rider where a long time big GS owner tested a Stelvio in the rough and in his opinion it kicked the big GS's ass. Just try telling that to those with the glassy look in their eyes. I'm sure the little GS would be much more capable in the rough than either a Stelvio or a big GS because of weight or a lack of it nevermind anything else. If I was going around the world the big thing for me would be support. I've maintained for many years now complex Machines ( two different manufacturers come to mind) with varying levels of support , Good support (meaning extensive) = little trouble, lack of support = the simplest little thing is a big freaking deal! Look at it this way if you can't get a Stelvio in time, you can't get one. Don't get me wrong, I love my Stelvio and I'd rather have a Guzzi over, to quote LoftyJohn 'a clitoris bike' any day! But that's just me , I try not to say baaaaa, if I possibly can. You could always get one when you get back and point it in a different direction and Go! Good luck with whatever you decide.
FBC

And just remember the 800 motor is made by KYMCO, so the soul of that bike is KOREAN..............

Antonio Alday
Guatemala

Mike C the 800 gs seems a great bike but having owned 2 bmws the people I know never had them. They were all 1200 gs and not the 800. I personally don`t like the parallel twin from bmw I find it lumpy and hard. There are also many issues with this model if you can believe the forums and I don`t think bmw australia are very good either from what I am led to believe. I think the stelvio is every bit as good as a 1200 gs and better. The 800gs is lghter certainly but when weighed down with luggage is it going to perform as well as a 1200 and its only possible advantage is off road and realistically how much off road will you do. The thought of going back to chain drive does not appeal either but if Guzzi can`t get their act together and supply your country with the bike you want then you have no choice but to take your money elsewhere. I would prefer the 1200 gs to the 800 but the price difference would pay for a lot of aluminium but for gods sake don`t buy a twat suit. Chipper

Vivo
You are absolutely right a long overland trip can and has been done on many completely unsuitable bikes - even Guzzi's. Some time ago there were postings here about the German bloke who rode his old V7 through Bolivia, and the videos showed him taking it down roads that I would be hesitant to walk on.

Frosty
Certainly backup is a major concern, We repersent an Italian printing machine company here and it is shall we say - a challenge, but I am of the opinion that with the help of the worldwide Guzzi community (you blokes ;) ) it might be a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

Antonio
Yeah but Guzzis are made in Italy :eek:hmy:

Moz
Maybe you have cut to the core of the problem - after thinking about it for a while, I am pretty sure it is my heart that wants to take on a long overland trip. Certainly it's not the sort of adventure that you would embark upon if you were a bean counter - we have an appointment with the financial adviser next friday to see what is to do. So if the heart is the instigator then why not also the choice of equipment driver - well because the head kicks in and argues that the heart is irrational and will cause trouble....... not sure where that leaves me though?

Chip
Don't panic, the Revit catalogue is on the desk :laugh: I really am not interested in the GS1200 - the dilemna is more big bike with purpose and soul / small bike with practicality and backup.

Thanks guys, keep the opinions coming - this morning I am back to 50%

Mike, I don't care what you're riding, just make sure you tell the financial advisor that you must have enough to make it to Quebec!

I'd take a serious look at the beemer if I would be doing more dirt than tarmac, but if two-up touring is on the menu, I think the 1200's would be more suited.

if the cam issues have been settled, seems to me the Stelvio would be simpler to fix in an general sense than the Beemer.

Mike...

I wasn't suggesting the Stelvio wasn't a good choice to do your trip... I think it comes down to what you WILL to (make) happen. What do you want to be on? A Royal Enfield in India? How about a nice cheap SV 650? I would think that pretty red Stelvio will be beat to s h i * when you get done with it... That's another way to bond with it too but don't plan on keeping it lovely after that trip, this is why I say...Tool. Toss it when used up OR Not?

It's your trip isn't it? Make yourself happy, it's a very personal expression and one perhaps best answered from your heart...

VIVO

PS. personally I can't LOVE the 800 GS but I might be willing to use it because it's lighter, gets good fuel mileage, the bike you saw has all kinds of kit added which does cost and I do think it is an ok choice if lots of dirt, washed out roads with giant mud sink holes are encountered or are you touring the pretty places with the beautiful people? Given I've not been anywhere I have to admire guys who have the will to do these things, in another life maybe I'll find that desire myself?

Ride safe

Vivo

Hey Mike: re: Twat suit, am worried my black textile Joe Rocket riding pants and touring jacket qualify as a Twat suit! Certainly don't own anything with a BMW logo on it. ( this relates to an experience with the BMW dealer in Toronto I' had when looking at bikes , I'll eat my own stool first!!!) Also if you do get your hands on a Stelvio for your trip...man, I'd like to see that , that would be way cooler than doing it on a farfennugen bike. Let us know how you make out with your decision and don't just zip through Canada as a way to get from State to State like a couple of Twats did not so long ago , who shall remain nameless. LOL
FBC

Hey FBC the twat suit has certainly been explained and can be regularly viewed outside any bmw motoradd throughout the western world while the stockbroker/professional is being cajoled into this years model on a pcp by the bmw salesman. I am suprised so many intelligent people want to look like a gay mechanic from Dusseldorf but there you go. I would like to state I have no issues with bmw motorcycles but I detest the snobby corporate image and the sanitised and clinical way their dealers make you part with money. I much prefer the old school scruffy dealer who knows what he is talking about and looks after you genuinely. Oops I have gone off the thread a bit. Chipper

Frosty
"way cooler than doing it on a farfennugen bike"
And that is the heart speaking - and certainly if we get to Canada, and I suspect we will as The Minister wants to check out the Mounties - something about men in uniforms I believe, we will not be zipping through like a couple of twats! The Stelvio desire isn't driven by any planned two upactivities - The Minister says that pillion is boring and wants to ride her own bike.

Viv
"It's your trip isn't it? Make yourself happy, it's a very personal expression and one perhaps best answered from your heart..."
And there is that heart again.

Rene
Certainly the new KTM is a capable machine and I have ridden it's more angry predeceesor the 990 Adventure, but if I was to look at those, I might as well take the Stelvio and have the satisfaction that the decision was from the heart?

So where are we at? The choice was never just Stelvio Vs BMW it is about Stelvio Vs smaller more manageable bikes and practicality. The problem is that from the comfort of the breakfast table the "issues" that a Stelvio raises seem a far off distant problem that can be dealt with later, as they say dreams are free and fun.

But as soon as the reality hits home of what we are planning some of the doubts raise their ugly head and the dreams seem like a folly.

I reckon anyone who wanted to do a long, transcontinental, trip outside he developed world would be barmy to do it on anything either Italian or German. Sure, you probably could, but why make work for yourself and have what is probably an unsuitable machine with almost no parts back up?

Sure, Bonehead and Blivetmouth or whatever their names are who do the 'Long Way to Chunder' thing use BMW's but they have the factory's backing and a HUGE support team. They also are used to dressing up like clowns because they're actors. For any sane and normal human being it is far more sensible and SAFE to get something like 400-650 single cylinder jap thumper and kit it out for the job properly. Fuel cell, propper strongly mounted, luggage, plenty of capacity for spares and WATER!

You could probably go round the world on a bloody motorised unicycle if you wanted to but it would be bloody stupid! If I look at the wankers who ride GS BM's of all ilks who come out to Bungendore every weekend from Canberra for their weekend 'Ride', (A whole 35Km!) they are all 'ADV-Riderer' out to the max with tin luggage and extra fuel cans and all the useless crap and they've none of 'em ever even taken their bikes on a dirt road even! The two wheeled equivalent of tossers who drive Hummers in Sydney. All mouth and trousers and tiny little willies!:laugh:

Pete

don't get me wrong - I love my new goose, but it's a breva not a stelvio and it doesn't even like gravel roads (but twisty asphalt is another matter).. BUT... for going on a long, partially offroad, off the beaten track "epic adventure", well there's only one bike you want. It's BIG, it's ORANGE and it's HALF the weight of the stelvio or the big beemer. I refer, of course, to the real "Adventure", the KaTooM!!! If Ewan and Charlie would have just shelled out for their own bikes instead of being cheap and insiting on being "sponsored" by BMW, then they would have gone on KTM's and had way more fun - it's just a better bike. Plus it's much more ORANGE.

Get a 2005-2007 640A ( if you can find one and I won't sell mine) or the newer 990A.

95 out of the top 100 place finishes in the dakar rally over the past dozen years must reflect something...

Okay now I want to quit work early, but the goose back in the garage and take the orange beast somewhere nasty. And then wheelie it at 150 on the highway on the way home. What other bike is reliable, has a 28 litre tank and you can do all that with ?

Back