Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Help needed - duplicate key

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by robertmtz, Jul 14, 2009.

1. robertmtz

robertmtz Tuned and Synch'ed

One of the original keys for my Norge broke. I was able to get a replacement blank ($65). What I can't seem to find is a place that can make a lasercut duplicate of the original. Anyone with experience or suggestions? Thanks.
    Bob

2. radlefty

radlefty Just got it firing!

I just went throught this. You need to find a quality locksmith, you can't just go to the local hardware store. The locksmith didn't have any problem duplicating it, cost me $20.00. The pain in the ass part for me was programing the new key. Sometimes I miss the old days before all the computer stuff.

3. robertmtz

What programming is required? I was not aware of it.

4. StormShearon

StormShearon Cruisin' Guzzisti

The keys have an immobilizer chip in them, and the bikes ecu needs to be programmed to recognize the key or it won't start. The procedure is outlined in the owners manual.

5. robertmtz

ok - makes sense. thanks

6. toddhaven

toddhaven Tuned and Synch'ed

Find someone who can cut Lexus keys.
    The blanks are very similar.
    Process is called Laser Cut.

7. 3ackok

3ackok Cruisin' Guzzisti

Local Lexus dealer couldn't help- they told me that they order precut keys by thei numbers from Toyota.
    I eventually found a locksmith shop with a capable machine. New key works fine.

8. xenarchi

xenarchi Cruisin' Guzzisti

machine is called a sidewinder. the dealers are useless as you found out.

9. guzziks

guzziks Just got it firing!

I had keys cut at a locksmith who was recommended by our usual locksmith. They work, but I do not know how to program.

Can anyone give a step by step operation to program, including the code numbers when required to enter.

I have never put in a user code.

10. Brutto Bestia

Brutto Bestia Just got it firing!

robertmtz........I would suggest contacting your state AAA people and obtaining a list of automotive locksmiths near you. Once obtained, call and verify if they have a machine to duplicate a 4 track key (Kaba/Ilco & Bianchi are the biggies). If you already have a working key and a new blank, they should be able to duplicate. As mentioned earlier, since this is a transponder key, once you obtain the duplicate, you'll need to enroll it into the bike's ECU. Your dealer should be able to talk you through that........BB

11. 04Breva

04Breva Just got it firing!

Similar, but slightly different problem.

Just bought a used '07 Norge. It came with only one key, no key or lock number.

I guess it would be asking too much to have the factory record the lock number by VIN ...

So ---

I'm guessing this will be the process (If anyone has a better idea ....)

Buy a blank key (where?)

Have the key cut --- earlier posts gave me a pretty good idea of how & where

Learn the key to the bike --- with only one key, is it possible? Do the dealers have some magic?

In the owner's manual, I saw a reference to a "user code" that could only be changed by using two keys, but didn't see a thing about what the user code did.

Thanks....

-Bob

12. Saint Nut

Saint Nut Tuned and Synch'ed

I have an '07 Norge. Put your good key in the ignition and turn key to "on." Using the Mode button, go to "menu" then to "settings." Under "settings" go to "change code." Once you select "change code" you can use the Mode button to select any 5-digit code you want. Basically, it's a PIN. Once you get the new key made, if it has a chip in it, remove it. You can use a utility knife to cut away any rubber or plastic coverings to get at the chip. Then you can keep the spare key in your wallet or tape it in a hiding place somewhere on the bike. If you need to use the naked spare, insert it and turn to "on", then use the Mode button to insert your PIN (instrument panel will prompt you to do this). Then off you go. Just don't forget your PIN!

13. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

No need to remove the chip. You can have the system learn a new key. You just need one original key and your user code.

14. Saint Nut

Saint Nut Tuned and Synch'ed

And to find a blank, your dealer can supply you with a nice expensive MG blank, but I got an Aprilia blank for $10 that's a match.

15. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Re: Re:Help needed - duplicate key

The procedures are in the general service manual here https://www.guzzitech.com/downloads/ca ... -1100.html

These are the procedures for all 5 AM ECUs.

The service codes are listed here https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/196/917.html

16. hen197

hen197 Just got it firing!

hello, I ordered a blank key at an aprilia webshop(af1racing )who fits an tuono or rsv4.I found a locksmith who can cut sidewinder keys .the key costs 11 dollar,the shipping to belgium costs 13 dollar,the cutting?I am still waiting for the key.
    I don't need to worry for programming of the transponder chip because I don't need the chip as the key is for my pannier wich uses another key .

17. 04Breva

04Breva Just got it firing!

Problem is this:

I have only one key. I do not have the "user code" --- yup, tried all zeros, last 5 of the vin, the service code; none are correct.

Is there any way to "reset code" when you don't have a second key or the last user code?

Disconnecting the battery does not do it.

Can the Axone reset the code?

Worst comes to worst, where is the code stored? Can that be replaced?

Thanks!

-Bob

18. Gazdok

Gazdok Tuned and Synch'ed

hen197,
    Are you saying that the Aprillia blanks are the same as MG blanks?
    11$ for the key and 13$ shipping is still way cheaper than what I paid for an OEM BLANK - not cut - from a MG dealer in the UK.