• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help needed please!!

rebus

Cruisin' Guzzisti
HI
This is quite embarassing really, but I can't seem to remove the bar ends off my stock bars. No amount of pressure, pulling, swearing, walking off, having a drink, coming back, is shifting them. Am i right in assuming that the allen bolt recessed into the end of the bar end is what's holding it in place, or does the whole bar end screw off as one unit and the allen bolt just there for decoration, as it were.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Stu

Hi Stu,the end bars are as tight as f**k because of the vibrations on our Guzzis.
I got mine off with an angled alen key and long tube(i used an old spark plug spanner about 6" long)
It is a alen bolt that goes through the end bars and pulls back on its self,it will undo just give it some welly. Andy.

Cheers Andy
Thought i was loosing my mind! don't think the bolt will take much more punishment before it rounds off to be honest (it appears to be made out of cheese)

thanks for the help much appreciated

Stu

Iv just had a look at mine,if you do round it off just drill the head out and the billet end will pull out leaving the thread(it screws into a casting in the bars)
You can use mole grips or a tap bar ,it will be easier anyway.
Andy.

Thanks again Andy,
will look at it at the weekend. Drilling the head will probably be the best way of getting them off without scrapping the bar ends. I"m fitting a Renthal fat bar and Rizoma bar ends but it would be good to keep the originals so i can revert everything back to stock when i come to sell the bike on.

Stu

Get a bolt with the same size head and rest it against the bar end bolt. Now give it a couple of good hard taps with a hammer and that should loosen it up. Worked for me

Is this a G12 or an earlier model?
The earlier model is a little different. On my G12 it is exactly the same as my 03 Tuono.
You must use a allen socket & rachet to work correctly.
Put an allen socket on a short extension. Tap the end of the extension with the socket in the head of the bolt. Give it a pretty good shot, then with the rachit turn off the barend.
Both of mine came off quite easy.
The inside of the bar is threaded & a plug is screwed into it. It is a 24mm head. I used a box wrench so if it unscrews with the bar end put it into a vice & unscrew the bar end from it.
How I found out was that I bought a Throttlemiester & ordered a Guzzi part # & it was wrong. It was for an earlier Guzzi like an early Aprilia. The later is much more simple.
Later,
Don-M aka Kid Thunder

Thanks for the help guys,
will give all recommended options a go over the weekend

Stu

All sorted thanks guys! used a combination of hammering a slightly oversized Allen socket home and a extension bar. Jeeze they were tight-!! and not helped by the cheese like quality of the bolt itself

Back