• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help, Oil Overflow Pipe on Norge

xbrit

Just got it firing!
Every time I come back from a long ride, the rear wheel of my Norge is covered with black oil, I've traced it to one of 2 pipes that are fixed to the underside of the shaft drive housing, can I plug these pipes without doing any harm. I know that there have been some discussions on this but I'm having a senior moment and could'nt find them. Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

Alan

PS: If Mike Bui reads this I need his contact details to send someone who wants some risers.

You're sure it's not the hose that dangles behind the right foot peg, right?

One of the 2 hoses that exit more or less horizontally under the CARC is the drain from the fuel tank filler rim. The other one is, if I'm not mistaken, the breather for the gearbox. I'm not sure what it means if you're getting black oil from that hose - gearbox over-fill during the last service?

NB: the oil may well be black because of all the filth the wheels collect!

Yes, it's the 2 hoses that are attached under the CARC, your probably right about the "black oil" but I get a pattern that shows it's sprayed out on the wheel, I know I read somewhere that the overflow pipe from the airbox needs a plug and then empty it occasionally is that correct?

It only *needs* a plug if you want to prevent the condensed oil from getting into nature or onto your garage floor. But if you plug it, you do need to empty it occasionally, indeed.

Having just looked at my Norge, the two pipes clipped to the underside of the swing arm are the fuel tank overflow, and the drain for the tool tray/battery box.
The Gearbox breather goes up under the fuel tank, and is clipped to the air box.
The air box drain dangles down just behind the centre stand, and already has a plug in it.
This is a UK spec bike of course, the US spec may differ as the fuel tank overflow has the extra cannister in the line.

Are you sure you don't have a problem with the CARC oil seal?

You're right, I ought to have looked this up before replying.

So if the oil is coming from 1 of the 2 hoses, it ought to be the fuel tank overflow line. I think it's safe to plug both hoses to check if that indeed stops the oil from getting on the wheel (and I hope that for you).

I have the impression that that overflow hose tends to accumulate a lot of crud — can't say it's exactly working great on my Norge (given the amount of rain water I often find around the rim) and it was once the origin of a 4cm-diam puddle of whipped-coffee-like oil under the bike. I'm still wondering how I could "blow it through" without disassembly; the spout that comes with each WD40 can seems like it would fit, but I'm not sure a few good spurts of that miracle product would help a whole lot...

RJVB wrote:
So if the oil is coming from 1 of the 2 hoses, it ought to be the fuel tank overflow line. I think it's safe to plug both hoses to check if that indeed stops the oil from getting on the wheel (and I hope that for you).

Don't plug the fuel tank overflow. This drains water which has accumulated around the filler plug, and the water will eventually make its way into the tank. In fact it pays to check that this tube is not blocked like mine was, causing an occasionally miss in the engine which was difficult to diagnose.

Thanks Kiwi

I meant

plug both hoses temporarily, the time to check if ...

I thought I remember reading about the airbox hose and oil getting into the airbox, maybe from being over filled, not sure about that, but oil was getting into the box. If enough got in there i guess it would drain out through the hose and get blown onto the rear wheel, mixing with the brake shoe dust that would give it that blackened look, and maybe make it look that there is more oil on the rim then there really is.

That's only if you don't keep the plug on that drain hose!

Yes, the air box drain hose has a plug in the end as standard fitting. The box does need to be drained from time to time, especially if the sump has been overfilled, as mine was last service.

Thanks for all the input guys, I poured a little gas down the overflow hole on the gas tank and figured out which pipe I had to leave open and now I've plugged the other one to see if that works.

Update: came back from a 400 mile round trip and still got the oil marks with the correct overflow plugged, there seemed to be more of it on the inside of the rear right, cannot figure it out????

I'm probably misunderstanding this, but my breva had a drip that seemed to come from clips on the underside of the carc where the hose clamps attached them. Turned out my problem was a weepy seal that allowed oil to migrate into the carc housing ahead of the bevel, then found its way out where the clips mounted to the lower part of the carc, mph put in a new seal, bobs your uncle

You may have the answer, I'm going to check that out because when I looked at the overflow pipes they were clean and I had the same oil drips under the CARC, Thanks again.

guzzi jon wrote:
I'm probably misunderstanding this, but my breva had a drip that seemed to come from clips on the underside of the carc where the hose clamps attached them. Turned out my problem was a weepy seal that allowed oil to migrate into the carc housing ahead of the bevel, then found its way out where the clips mounted to the lower part of the carc, mph put in a new seal, bobs your uncle

Actually, Bob's my brother in law, and he as a Harley. Does that mean it won't work for me?:cheer:

Back