• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

HID Install Issues

basaltine

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello Everyone,

I ventured to install HID lights on my 2009 Stelvio the other day. Two unwanted results occurred. The left side light does not illuminate. The right side light only illuminates when the "flash to pass" button is held. I had the same result when reconnecting the standard lights. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Chris

Headlights do not come on unless the engine is running. If you were running the engine, check the relays for the lights. See Carl's schematics in the Tech section.

Yes, the engine was running. I will check the relays. Thanks!

Well, I got a little befuddled when this gentleman emailed me asking for help since I've never dealt with an HID upgrade, but let's give this a little shot anyway. Borrowing from the web a nice diagram for the HID units (something remiss in the original post), here's how it should wire up:

installhidlight.jpg

Note that the original headlight wiring gets re-routed to drive the ballast module and the ballast module itself runs the headlight. I saw one web image showing 2300V on the HID bulb. Be very very careful when troubleshooting. Also note that the image shows hot leads as red and ground/return leads as black. Here's where things probably went awry.
The CARC Guzzis have taken a note right out of the Ural handbook of wiring obfuscation and used "non-standard" wiring colors. Typically, the western world uses black for ground/return but late model Urals use blue - and so do the CARC( 2008 Stelvio) Guzzis. Go figure. So... assuming for the nonce that the HID wiring kit has black for ground and red (or some other "hot" color) for the the other side of bulb, here's how I believe the wiring should work.

The black side of the input side of the HID modules (both of them) connect to the blue wire for the headlights (Russian wiring?) since the blue is the ground (stupid, I know). Guzzi wiring referred to below pertains to the wiring coming from the handlebar switch or headlight relay - not the wires going to the headlight itself from the connector adjacent to the bulb or the wires if they're being cut into.

The red (or hot 12V) wire of one HID module should connect to the black wire. (Low Beam +12V) Black... how counter-intuitive.

The red (or hot 12V) wire of the other HID module should connect to the white wire (High Beam +12V).

The HID module output is connected to the appropriate bulb and shouldn't be involved with any of the bike wiring directly or dire consequences will undoubtedly occur.

That's clear as mud isn't it? We need either photos of the wiring from the HID modules or the manufacturers installation diagram.

Thanks Carl. The HID system is a dual H4 from DDM Tuning. Both HID lights plug into one of the stock headlight plugs. I plugged into the right light, since it has the high/low capability. My guess is that when I put both lights on one side, something happened to make the high/low switch and left light not work. The HID system works fine. I hooked it up directly to the battery and both lights work. I guess I need to figure out what I have screwed up that is not allowing the lights to come on - unless the "flash to pass" button is held. The left light not coming on is not really an issue, since I will not be using the wiring on that side. I am a bit of a novice, so thanks in advance for helping me with what may be an easy issue/stupid mistake. Chris

Chris

Don't know how much help I can be here. I don't know the Stelvio and getting my head around that lighting setup has left me light headed.

Couple things to be aware of HIDs are polarity sensitive and bulbs are not.

That doesn't solve your problem though as you still have nothing from the lights except when you hit "passing/Flash"

I cannot figure why the black cable that powers the Lo beam is going to the generator, but that's an aside.

When using the "Passing/Flash" button the supply to the light comes from a different line than the normal light function which uses the Lights Relay. When "Passing/Flash" the supply comes direct from the fusebox and through the switch. So I would first physically check the fuses then check the Lights relay. I'd check the relay is seating and if the relays are the same try swapping another over from something else to see if it's good.

John

John,

Thank you for your response. I will proceed with your suggestions.

Chris

Chris

No bother at all.

Keep us posted how you get on when you get to it.

Good Luck

John

Sorry to be a bit slow with letting you know the outcome of my dilemma. I guess when something is embarrassing, you are in no hurry to inform the rest of the world. The reason I was having trouble was ........ I had unplugged the gauge cluster when I disassembled everything. As soon as I plugged in the cluster, all was well.

Maybe my embarrassing issue will save someone else down the road.

Thanks to all!

Chris

Back