• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hose and such

Phang

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have this open ended hose dangling at the left throttle body area, is it normal?

PDSCN6544.jpg

While cleaning my bike for the very first time on Sunday, I found a black rubber hose wedged between the right frame tube and the battery, possibly pinching it. It looks like a tank vent hose to me. I have corrected it after removing the battery from its tray and remounted it correctly.

After my first longish ride to run in the engine (~150km), the bike dribbled a few drops of oil on the floor from 1 of the 4 hoses near to the rear brake lever when I parked the bike. The consistency of the oil on the floor was similar to engine oil, it has a whiff of gasoline smell as well.

Without pulling the tank and panels, armed with a parts manual and torch light/flash light. I traced the routing of the 4 hoses as best as I could, it appeared the 2 capped transparent hoses are from the air box, one of the black rubber hose from the battery tray drainage and the unknown black rubber hose dripping oil was routed to the valley of the jugs.

Logically, I thought the oil was from the blow-by system but the Guzzi parts diagram does show a drainage hose. No, my bike does not has a charcoal canister fitted.

blow-bysystem.jpg

I think you'll find it is the end of the gearbox breather. Part # 16 in this pic. Its usually routed up near the airbox somewhere and all it has to do is allow air in or out of the box as it warms and cools. Unlike the engine there is nothing 'Blowing-by' into the gearbox so it won't pressurise per-se.

GU08800_52.gif

The hoses that hang out the bottom? One is airbox drain and should be plugged. If it isn't? then it would be fine to do so. Check your engine oil level though and make sure it isn't over-filled. Try filling to 1cm below the 'Full' mark with the dipstick resting on the threads and the bike upright. The other pipe is from the battery tray. It shouldn't be leaking anything. If it is there is a chance the battery wasn't put into service properly. It is VERY important with these batteries that when the acid is added they sit for at LEAST two hours, prefferably overnight, to allow the acid to be absorbed into the mats. Otherwise they just puke it out when the bike starts charging and the battery's life is compromised, (Along with your paintwork!!!)

Pete

Spot on Pete!

Upon a close look under the bright sunlight with the rubber battery tray out of the way, the open ended hose on top of the LHS throttle body is indeed a breather hose from the gearbox.

Now, back to the dripping hose. It is actually the end of the tank vent hose. 2 hoses from each side of the tank terminated to a PVC 3 way Tee fitting on the right side of the bike and the third hose (part# A in the pic) from the Tee fitting is the one that is dripping.

venthose.jpg

I have checked the engine oil level after the first ride, bike on service stand, dipstick resting on the threads, oil level is about ¾ of the scale if you take low = 0, high = 100.

The battery was fitted by the dealer during the PDI, it looked fine when I removed it from the bike yesterday, no leakage of electrolyte. I hook it up to the battery charger to up the juice though.

I just came back from a short ride (120km), we shall see if I got fluid from the same hose again. Still couldn’t figure it out why I will get oily fluid from this hose :?:

I have had fuel dripping out of the vent hose when I've filled the tank to the brim & the engine's hot. The heat makes the fuel expand and I guess thats why there are vent hoses.

Hi Will, I filled her up to the brim today after the ride, 14.2L to be exact.

I just checked the bike at the car park, the floor is clean, no fluid dripping from the vent hose this time.

The pinched vent hose that I have discovered and corrected later on may be the cause of the problem.

Here’s my theory :idea:

The battery pinched the vent hose enough to hold some fluid in it. When the bike is parked after a long ride, the heat radiating from the engine raise the pressure in the tank and pushes the fluid past the pinched section.

Phang said:
The battery pinched the vent hose enough to hold some fluid in it. When the bike is parked after a long ride, the heat radiating from the engine raise the pressure in the tank and pushes the fluid past the pinched section.

Definitely! I have had exactly the same problem and the pressure pushed the vent hose off the tank.

Phang said:
I filled her up to the brim today after the ride, 14.2L to be exact.

I just checked the bike at the car park, the floor is clean, no fluid dripping from the vent hose this time.

If I sit on the bike & fill to the brim with a hot engine it takes about 3 minutes for the fuel to start dripping out of the vent hose. But it doesn't happen if I fill up with the bike on the side stand. Yeah, the solution is obvious: I don't fill too full...... or don't hang about for 3 minutes waiting for my mates to get ready ("Oh, are we going? I'll just go for a piss and then put my helmet on.....and has anyone seen my keys? OK, panic over, they're in the ignition" etc etc).

Back