• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hot Situation

DanPez

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Just so to set the theatrics for people that don’t come up here in Canada often ….. today was a scorcher …. I mean really hot. A sunny day with 30ºc and about 35% humidity.
Ok then it not like our southern friends buts it one for the books! :)

I commute in town with the Stelvio 100km per day and usually do the 50 coming back in an hour except for this evening I got caught in bloody TRAFFIC. :evil:

The only worth while indication I have on the bike is the ambient temperature gauge that was slowly climbing …33….34…..35….Well it reached 40ºc.
- I was pacing at 2 …3 km/hr and once in a while spurted to 10km/hr.
- Felt the heat, from the exhaust, rising to my legs.
- Clutching every 10ft or so.
- The engine on takeoffs would be pinging ….well more like light knocking.
- Giving throttle the response was sluggish.
- Well I did 11km in 1 hour for crying out loud.

Not having the VDST hooked up while riding :lol: I really couldn’t check to see engine temp, air temp, O2 and all that nice information.
Once traffic started moving the first 1 or 2 km the response was still sluggish but slowly returned to normal.

My question would be shouldn’t the ECU compensate for these so called “Extreme” conditions?

Dan, the stock ECU MINIMALLY revises the fuel table for hot ambient air and oil temps. There is ZERO correction for timing. This is all resolved as part of my GT-Rx ECU re-flash.
Also keep in mind that the Air/Fuel ratio is held FAR above target (lean-burn) numbers for even water-cooled engines... this (IMO), is the beginning of the end of air-cooled engines with regards to emissions.

I got pinging in similar circumstances on a 09 V7C; sunny day at 90F, stuck in traffic for 20 minutes, and pinging/knocking on acceleration thereafter, until I got moving and things cooled off.

I made a DIY fuel oxygen sensor to richen the fuel-air mix, but it wasn't on at the time. I would have liked to see how much it would help.

Joe

A lot of fine adjustment are pointing towards the installation of GT-Rx ECU re-flash.
Like an old Italian expression "All roads lead to Rome" :)

I'm just baffled that the engineers at MM and Guzzi didn't pursue any further to get these bugs out.
Cheers

DanPez said:
Like an old Italian expression "All roads lead to Rome" :)
:pinch:
I'm just baffled that the engineers at MM and Guzzi didn't pursue any further to get these bugs out.
All things considered (Euro 3 regulations), they did a pretty fair job with the severe handicap appointed to them.

My 2009 did the exact same thing when I was driving it home from the dealer after just buying it. A beautiful September day, I got caught in construction, and an accident just before the Port Mann bridge in Vancouver. It got so bad I shut it off and waited a half hour for it to cool down, while the traffic slowly went by me on the shoulder with about 1 ft of space between us. I was really dissapointed in my new baby. Now with the cam recall done and 15000 k on it, and Todds ECU I am hoping for better times. The new ECU has totally eliminated that crappy surge between 3 and 4 thousand RPM and I hope it will run cooler now. I was getting paranoid everytime the traffic would slow down on the freeway.

Back