• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hotter on left side than right side?

LearyBlaine

Just got it firing!
Hello, everyone! I've got a new '22 V7 Special, which I've ridden only 500km or so. I notice that my left leg gets a lot more heat from the bike than my right leg. Is this normal, by chance? I notice that the "bluing" on the exhaust pipes is much more pronounced on the left side, too. Bike runs 100% normally otherwise. Have a look, please. Normal or abnormal? Many thanks in advance.

IMG 4046 IMG 4047

I've noticed my left shin often feels warmer. I think it's because of a slight difference in leg position on the shifter side. Check a few spots on the cylinders with an infrared thermometer. Do the exhaust openings look appreciably different in color or amount of soot?
Maybe look at the plug color.

My bike is a V7III with Todds' remap. Runs perfectly.

Smarter guys than me will chime in I'm sure.

The left and right cylinders are offset slightly in order to connect to the crankshaft. The left one is further back.
If it has two throttle bodies, it might improve with a throttle body balance and TPS reset.

I notice that my left leg gets a lot more heat from the bike than my right leg. Is this normal, by chance? I notice that the "bluing" on the exhaust pipes is much more pronounced on the left side, too.
Not "normal" - no. I would highly recommend having the valve lash checked/set.

Is it under warranty? if not swap things over, O2 sensors, injectors, if it has two, are the plugs the same colour etc, do one job at a time so as not to confuse the issue, use a digital thermometer as Bill suggests.

The left and right cylinders are offset slightly in order to connect to the crankshaft. The left one is further back.
If it has two throttle bodies, it might improve with a throttle body balance and TPS reset.
Thank you, @Raven. You know, I've heard this before. And it totally makes sense! There MUST be an offset, right? But when I look at them (just visually ... no measurement or anything), I cannot detect a difference. Weird.

Is it under warranty? if not swap things over, O2 sensors, injectors, if it has two, are the plugs the same colour etc, do one job at a time so as not to confuse the issue, use a digital thermometer as Bill suggests.
Yeah, I think it's going to be a good idea to get one of those IR thermometers. Can use it for lots of other stuff, too. Yes, I'm certain it's still under warranty. Will schedule a service. Thanks!

Checking plugs is a good recommendation as it's very simple if you can unscrew four cheese soft chinese screws that holds the cover without damaging head, use torx allen. I found my plug gap was out of specification (0.6 instead of 0.8 mm ) and you can check the colors. But my advice would be not bother buying an ir thermo, because it is not a rare issue in new V7 (I do also had the same problem) . I noticed it at first hundred kilometers and bought an irt which objectively revealed hot working left side cylinder being the difference at most 30-40 celcius. As in my incorrect plug gap, your valve lash is probably out of specifications.

Last edited:
Back