• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How Guzzi Dealers order bikes?

MurphyPeoples

Tuned and Synch'ed
I was interested in finding out "how" Guzzi dealers order their bikes. I visited a dealer a week ago, and since times are tough when he was asked to place his 2009 order in November 2008 - he didn't order anything. The reason I find this interesting is because the Guzzi Plant has been closed for the last 2 months - opening back up just last week.

So I'm wondering.... when the November orders were placed...is that all that's brought into the states? Just what the dealers ordered?
Or Does the Guzzi USA Importer bring in extras for future dealer orders? I find this fascinating because there is only 10,000 made per year - and how many of those make it to the states anyway?

Anyone with detailed insight.... I'd love to read the entire story.

Thanks in advance!
Murphy

Murphy:

What is most likely happening is that the US office has to submit a forecast of how many bikes they expect to sell in 2009 to the factory in December of 2008.

When combined with orders / forecasts from the other regions of the world (Countries) this becomes a production target for the factory. The production target then generates orders for materials, parts, etc to assemble bikes. All these have lead times that vary from days to weeks to months. This will be converted to a releasing schedule for the suppliers so they know how many of what item to send to the factory for assembly, and spare part inventory.

Keep in mind that there is VERY LITTLE over production any more. The world has gone to from "make-to-stock" to "make-to-order" scheduleing. So bikes are not just "sitting around" waiting for orders. The cost of money to keep stuff 'on the shelf" is very expensive. So a balence is struck between the dealers, distributors and factory, the goal of which is to make EXACTLY the number of bikes that will be sold. Well the system is not perfect, and therefore there will be under sold and un-sold bikes in the system at any time. Additionally the US office plans to open more dealers this year, so they will order bikes to be shipped on a schdule during the year so that when a new dealer comes on, bike will be in the US for that opportunity. So, when an existing dealer does NOT order there is some risk that the exact bike they need for a customer may NOT be in stock in the US.

I can't speak to the volume of the 10K that make it to the US but I suspect it's around 10% of the total production. Distribution of Guzzi is world wide. In January I was in Japan at Fukudo motors, they have several Grisos, V7cs and CalVins.... on the floor I all about 10 bikes... There are several Guzzi dealers in Japan that I am aware of.

Hope this helps!

I have heard dealers complain about the way Guzzi forces bikes on dealers to stock, much like the way Aprilia tries to force its dealers to take scooters as well as the big bikes. Any insight on this?

Back