• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How important was "made in Italy" to you?

I'm under no illusion that modern vehicle manufacturing is a global business but I do want final assembly to take place at Mandello del Lario even if it mostly means assembling parts that come from all over the world. I try to look for the made-in stamp for parts on my V7 and unsurpisingly electrical components like the coil say Made in China while surprisingly a lot of the plastics say Made in Italy. I really hope the main parts like engine and frame are made in Italy while especially when there are manufacturers in the same town.
The question for Guzzisti is how do they feel about their bikes being built at the Aprilia factory as was recently reported (V85TT) and the fact that the V100 likely has a LOT of Aprilia and Piaggio DNA it as I don't think design and developmen is done by Moto Guzzi themselves.

I have the V85 and the V100S. I'm very happy with the quality of the products coming out of MG. I've had many models over the years and there were always finish and fit issues. The Piaggio money and direction has vastly improved the future of MG. So I guess I can live with the changes.

the V100 likely has a LOT of Aprilia and Piaggio DNA it as I don't think design and developmen is done by Moto Guzzi themselves.

Piaggio has their design centers in the world that they use for all of their products.

I don’t know where they are now but a major one was in Pasadena, California at one time, Piaggio Group Advanced Design Center. Headed by Miguel Galluzzi.

Although I'd call myself an Italophile I can't say "made in Italy" is a requirement for my bikes and cars. I currently have a Guzzi, a Ducati, and a Yamaha. I buy what suits my fancy regardless of nationality. My most recent purchase was a new XSR 900 last month and the three bikes appear to be getting along just fine.

BTW, the new Yamaha 900 triple is absolutely fantastic and may turn out to be the perfect bike for me.

I've never really embraced the concept of "brand loyalty".

Semper Gumby.......

Personally I don't care even the tiniest bit where my Mandello was made, so long as it's not China. Having said that, I'm realistic enough to know that various components of my bike are almost certainly made in China, so I have to acknowledge that it is effectively impossible to avoid Chinese products completely.

Why do I want to avoid Chinese products? Because it's an oppressive, totalitarian dictatorship with appalling human rights, and I don't want to support that with my money. Personally I would prefer MG to go to India for low cost components, because at least it's a democracy.
While I guess India is a democracy they also have horrible environmental, cultural and quality problems. Thailand seems to have become a hub for motorcycle manufacturing I would personally prefer them to set up something there next door to the Ducati and Triumph factories.

I like Italian bikes which by definition means made in Italy, idiosyncrasies and all. If they were made in India or China I'd buy something else, probably Japanese. I detest Chinese authorities and their arrogance so see no reason to subsidise them. As a cheap toy I'd consider Royal Enfield knowing they are Indian.

Besides having to wait months and months for parts, the Piaggio dealerships are forbidden to order a part from a dealership that has it.

This was my first and last Guzzi unless I hit it big and get another bike like the Flying Fortress!!

We are dealing with a corporation, a dead entity that doesn't have any concern for any of us. The bottom line is all that matters.

Besides having to wait months and months for parts, the Piaggio dealerships are forbidden to order a part from a dealership that has it.

This was my first and last Guzzi unless I hit it big and get another bike like the Flying Fortress!!

We are dealing with a corporation, a dead entity that doesn't have any concern for any of us. The bottom line is all that matters.
Name a bike manufacturer that isn't part of a bigger corporation? Its how they survive.

Sadly I think that the move to far Eastern manufacturing plants is a inevitable.
OEMs are driven by profit so they go to where the cheapest labour is
Any compromise in workers rights and pollution is of low importance.
However I suspect that the quality , for example, of a Triumph made in Asia or one from Hinckley will be undetectable as the OEM cannot afford the reputation hit if they're not

However I suspect that the quality , for example, of a Triumph made in Asia or one from Hinckley will be undetectable as the OEM cannot afford the reputation hit if they're not

If this were only true…

I believe it to be utterly false.

Case in point: Fiat 500.

Here in Italy, they are one of the top selling cars. They are everywhere.

The universal opinion is one of that they are an affordable, reliable, practical car. Personally I love them very much too.

All of them sold here in Italy, are made in Italy. They are great cars.

Back up 5-6 years and the old FCA made the same car in North America…but parts and the car were built in Mexico snd brought across the border, duty free because of NAFTA.

Those things were the biggest pieces of shite you ever saw. They were literally breaking down 5 miles down the road from the dealership they were just sold from!

Parts fell off, dashes failed, the fuel bung would jam shut, sun roofs fell out of the ceiling! JD Powers ranked it the worst car in the USA every year.

Once again Fiat failed miserably in America.

This time not because of a bad car, but because of POS Mexican labor and “craftsmanship”. 🤦‍♂️

What a total joke that was!

🤷‍♂️

..... This time not because of a bad car, but because of POS Mexican labor.

🤷‍♂️
Or Fiat management saw Mexico as cheap source of labour but didn't provide the investment in training and expat Italian quality control located in Mexico to ensure the quality remained the same as a vehicle produced in Italy

I just don’t believe those things have anything to do with it.

Societal work ethics and standards are cultivated over years, even generations.

Some countries, specifically the ones viewed as cheap labor production centers, can invest all they want in those things but they will do nothing to combat the laissez-faire attitude of the population towards work and especially craftsmanship.

Mexico and Thailand are not on anyone’s lists as the top centers of quality constructed goods.

Having worked as both supplier and customer with peoples all over the world I'm not totally at odds with your position Scott

However, an offshoring company that throws the work over the wall with little support and expects the LCC to succeed is being naive

Also, whilst English can be considered as a universal language it doesn't ensure universal understanding

Do any of you feel as strongly as I do?
I think that I do.
I bought Guzzi because I wanted idiosyncrasies, character (which I class as doing some things very well and other things, well, not so well) this creates that classical 'love/hate' relationship which I crave.
Other brands seem to constantly strive upwards, bigger, better, faster, lighter or whatever but Guzzi seem to establish quirks, celebrate them and see that as the way forward.

I just don’t believe those things have anything to do with it.

Societal work ethics and standards are cultivated over years, even generations.

Some countries, specifically the ones viewed as cheap labor production centers, can invest all they want in those things but they will do nothing to combat the laissez-faire attitude of the population towards work and especially craftsmanship.

Mexico and Thailand are not on anyone’s lists as the top centers of quality constructed goods.

I am wary of disagreeing with Scott -- at least on any subject involving automotive or culinary subjects, and the list is likely longer, too ;) -- but we had a 2020 Honda Fit that was made in Mexico. That car was flawless in fit, finish, and all mechanical aspects during the three-plus years and 50K+ miles we owned it.

The same with its stablemate -- a 2009 Fit made in Japan -- which we still have, that sports an odo with almost 300K miles :clap:. An asshat turned in front of Kathi in Erie last September in a 90-mph closing speed crash that totaled it or it would sit outside in N.C. where we are are house-, dog-, an cat-sitting instead of the CR-V that replaced it.

That last is a very fine car, but if Honda still sold the Fit in the NA market, we'd have replaced it with another. Sadly,the 6th-gen Fit is only sold in Asia and Europe as the "Jazz." Honda still makes the HR-V and other models of cars and motorcycles in Mexico. I would not hesitate to buy a Honda assembled there.

Still, my favorite of the many cars in my past was -- surprise :giggle: -- made in Italy: a 1976 Fiat 131.

Bought it in Virginia; shipped it to Italy :rofl:, drove it there and all over western Europe for tree years, brought it back to the U.S.; sold it with 215K miles for a larger car need for our larger family. Great machine.

Bill

Back