• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How many miles are you getting out of your tires?

azccj

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have a 07 Norge with 10200 miles and still have the original Z6 tires on it. I have to say that I'm impressed with getting that many miles out of a sport/touring rear tire. The front tire looks very good and the rear looks like it will go a few miles more before needing a replacement, which is sitting in the garage when needed. Most of my miles are at hwy speeds with loaded saddlebags.

So, how many miles are you guys getting out of your tires?

Re:How many miles are you getting out of your tire

I stretched 8,000 miles (13,000km) out of my original Metzeler Z6's. I now have Pirelli Diablo Stradas. I like them much better than the Metzelers, but the jury is still out on durability.

Ye gads!!!! I've just checked my records and the Metzeler Pilot Road 2 tyres on my Breva have been there for 14,000km! At a guess they'll go another 2,000km or even more. No wonder they don't grip like more sporting tyres. I always change tyres as a set, but the front looks as if it'd go for much further as it still is nicely shaped. The rear does have a bit of a centre flattening but is still quite well shaped too.

In the past, about 10 - 11,000km is what I've got from tyres on the Breva. About 7-8,000km on my Buell but it wears softer rubber.

Graham

Just passed 11000 KM on the original Michelin Pilot Road (1) and still going strong... front and rear.
Maybe changing before I go on holiday in july. I heard from several people that a trip to Norway will cost you a set of tyres, because of the rough tarmac they use for the roads.
But I know Norway will be worth it. :cheer:

I did about 22k km on my stock Z6s. I could have gotten more as the treads were still more than deep enough (esp. on the front), but front and back started to change shape. The rear was getting visibly squared off from the substantial amount of highway riding I can't avoid, but on top of that, both tyres had a sort of ridge in the middle (to exaggerate: imagine a dome with a little turret on top), which caused the bike to pull to the side, and interfered with rolling.
I now have a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts that must have about 5k on them and still look like new. I think I prefer the handling they give to the bike, but handling with most any set of new tyres would have been better after the old Z6s ... and I can't exclude my own progress either (1st bike...).

Now, if I could just convince myself thoroughly that my recent loss of the front and subsequent crash wasn't the tyre's fault at all... :S

GrahamNZ wrote:
Ye gads!!!! I've just checked my records and the Metzeler Pilot Road 2 tyres on my Breva have been there for 14,000km! At a guess they'll go another 2,000km or even more. No wonder they don't grip like more sporting tyres. I always change tyres as a set, but the front looks as if it'd go for much further as it still is nicely shaped. The rear does have a bit of a centre flattening but is still quite well shaped too.

In the past, about 10 - 11,000km is what I've got from tyres on the Breva. About 7-8,000km on my Buell but it wears softer rubber.

Graham

I assume you mean Michelin Pilot Road 2's. I got about 6K miles out of the original PR's but the PR 2's are going to last longer.

I take it you've lost traction with your PR2's Graham otherwise your "don't grip" comment is a bit odd??? I think the PR2's stick extremely well and I've not come close to their grip limitation (if any). Mind I'm riding in the real world and not on a track.

Usually having about 10000 kms on my 750 Breva rears, no matter what brand.
Though I succeeded in wearing out a Pirelli Sport Demon in 3000 kms only....
Guess it was a bad tire; no changes in driving habits, as I could recall.

Front tires are doing better.

I'm no expert on modern tyres, but I just replaced the OEM Metzler Z6 on the B at 12,000km with Metzler Sportec M3 and the difference is amazing - I have never felt so confident in a corner before. Of course tyre life might be reduced, but I would rather stay upright when needed than go sliding.

THe difference is so great I am going to say it again - modern sport tyres are AMAZING!

I got about 8,000 miles out of the original Michelin pilot road. I have another set on but I'm looking forward to wearing them out and going to the pilot road 2.

Geordie
Of course you're right. I should have said Michelin Pilot Road 2. I ride only on the road and may not have noticed the "nervousness" from the rear if it wasn't for riding that other bike on its stickier tyres. The type of road surface laso has a big effect on tyre grip and life. Our South Island has very hard chipseal mainly and that is very hard on tyres, Sounds a bit like Norway.

Mike.C
Agreed that sport tyres do have a much better grip and shorter life is the price. If the Breva had more ground clearance I'd fit stickier tyres.

RJVB
22,000km and still going! You're a candidate for a record. What are your road surfaces like there?

I replace both tyres when the rear reaches the wear indicators. But then I often ride in the rain.

Graham

Graham: I did replace both tyres at that mileage because, as said, I no longer felt confident with the shape they were taking. Roads around Paris are quite known to be easy on tyres, at least that's what I hear here. They're also relatively straight, so rears do tend to go square.
But I had at least 4k or 5k km on trips to the Netherland, through Belgium (1000km for the return trip, so that's highway business).

I think an important factor in the mileage I got is the fact I have what would probably qualify as a very tame riding style...

The best mileage has been on the Roadsmarts with about 7,500 miles on the front and rear. The rear is currently showing the wear bars and the front has some weird stuff going on, so they both are due for a toss.

RJVB wrote:
Define "weird stuff going on", please???

Both the Roadsmarts and the Z6's developed a chamfer on the right side(standing in front of the bike) of the tire. Both forks are adjusted to the same settings so that shouldn't be an issue; I am hoping that changing the springs,oil,valving etc. will solve the problem. This is not happening to my other bikes so road conditions are not the problem.

I got 7-8000Km from the M3s. Actually I'm using Road2CTs and they look nice after 7K or so...

Out of curiosity, I know that it's not a good idea to have a rear that's stickier than the front, but what about the other way round? Fitting a sports front with a sport/touring rear?

Hello

I got 7K on the original tyres on the Norge.. I have switched to Pirelli Diablo Strada's I will get about 6K on those

On my Griso, I get between 5 and 6K on the same brand/model.

Dimitris

18,000km!!!!!! What was I doing wrong? My original Z6 were spent in just 11,000km.

From records kept a few years ago and over a 100,000km distance, (Triumph Trophy 900T) carring a pillion regularly reduced tyre life by about 1,000km but I have carried a pillion on the Breva only occasionally.

Graham

G'day All,

You can see my introduction in General Chat that may explain why my tyres wear out quick.

All my riding is Two up and on my 1997 VFR750 and I would regularly scrape my pegs and and Kim's (pillion), we weigh 75kg (165lb) and 70kg(155lb). My tyres would only last 5,000km with Bidgestone Bt020 and BT021 also Avon Storms. Pilot Road 2's up to 3,000km but bike now in shed and still good tread left maybe another 3-4,000km at least.

My 10month old Norge has 11,000km and the Metzler Z6 lasted 5,000km, these were badly cut up, but this may have been due to the stuffed suspension for the 1st 4,000km until new Ikon shock fitted.

Now the Pilot Road 2's rears are being replaced after 5,500km as the bike is in for a service and may as well change them now as there may only be about 1,000km left. The pilots are wearing very well in the centre but the softer edges are wearing the same as all my tyres and are down to minimal tread on the edges. If say I was riding across to Perth about 3,000km which is all straight roads then I would leave them on as they seemed almost untouched in the centre, just like on my VFR. The fronts on the Norge are almost new so there is no need to change.

Overall I am very happy with the Pilots due to always Two up riding with a combined fully clothed weight including luggage of about 175kg (385lb). So for a tour with twisties they are perfect. If mostly twisties two up hard riding the storms or normal pilots (not 2CT's) may be slightly better, but if you suddenly do a lot of straight roads then the pilot road 2s are better.

I found that two up and extended straight riding above 140k will chew out the centre very quickly.

When I dropped the Norge off for its 11,000km service the mechanics and sales guys words after seeing the tyres worn to the edge were " your'e riding the arse of that".

In short the pilot road 2s are hard wearing in the centre, but have great grip on the edges.

Greg

Back