• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

how much oil do you get OUT of the engine during change?

Kuzya

Tuned and Synch'ed
Guys, hi

how much oil do you manage to get drained from the engine during the oil change on a 12S 2V? The manual states the absolute oil amount is 3600ml, I read it like 3600 ml is put into new oilless engine.
yesterday made my oil change and measured what came out... engine hot, after a 30 km non-stop ride, 10 mins idling during rolling/alighning, 10 mins stopped before drain plug loosened. I got some 2400 ml out of the engine.
meaning at least 1 liter of old shitty oil is left undrained, most probably in the oil cooler.

is it usual like this?

in the mean time I'm starting to want to ride the bike again, mix new oil with old crap, drain another 2,4 liters and refill with fresh oil, to make the concentration of old oil less....

Here are a couple of thoughts;

There is a fair amount of oil left in lines, bearings, the cooler, etc. during an oil change. I like to do a couple of things to ensure I get more of the old stuff out. First, I get it up to temp, as you have done. Second, I park with the front wheel on a board or some other device to tip the front end up. This helps the oil cooler drain better.

I don't worry much about how much comes out past that.

FWIW... :)

Either a liter was left behind, or you were a liter low. IBA 270 is right about doing the best you can to get the oil out. Then measure and put in the 3.6L of oil. These engines tend to seek their own level and will push/use some oil until the level is at optimum.

IBA 270 said:
Here are a couple of thoughts;

There is a fair amount of oil left in lines, bearings, the cooler, etc. during an oil change. I like to do a couple of things to ensure I get more of the old stuff out. First, I get it up to temp, as you have done. Second, I park with the front wheel on a board or some other device to tip the front end up. This helps the oil cooler drain better.

I don't worry much about how much comes out past that.

FWIW... :)

thanks! that one I forgot to mention, I drained oil with the bike on a centre stand, front wheel wood-blocked to provide a touch-down of the rear wheel :)
and yes, It might be possible that the old-oil-level was low, cause at the end of last season my filter was leaking a bit, before I produced the filter removal tool and hand-tightened it half turn with a rather gentle hand torque.

but somehow I'm afraid to put all 3,6 litres. it took now 2,4 and on cold engine I read a minimum mark (new filter very full of oil, gave it 10 minutes to let all the bubbles out and filled full). Maybe will add another 250 ml and see what the level will be on a warm engine.

john zibell said:
Either a liter was left behind, or you were a liter low. IBA 270 is right about doing the best you can to get the oil out. Then measure and put in the 3.6L of oil. These engines tend to seek their own level and will push/use some oil until the level is at optimum.

I recall reading here somewhere that overfilling is very bad for this engine. will try to catch the level with multiple small fillings and hot-checks. At least I gave it not less than I drained :)

was just curious, if it is a regular result to drain only 2,5 liters, or was it only my case - that is the main reason for the topic to exist

When i drain the oil from my Breva, I get close to the 3.6 liters when I drain the oil. I know a little get's used/pushed out (see air box drain) but it is real close to the 3.6L I put in.

Drain the old out, pre-fill the new filter before installing. Pour in three litres or thereabouts. run the engine for a minute. Check level on stick. Fill to about 1cm below the 'Maximum' mar on the stick with it just sitting on the threads of the case, not screwed in.

I never measure the amount in or out. I use a drum pump on a 20L drum to put the oil in. The amount required is between 36 and 40 full strokes of the pump on top of the oil in the filter.

Pete

Back