• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hub failure on V7 Classic

tobinh

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
Hi guys, my dad had a bit of a bumpy Sunday ride when his hub came apart mid-corner. He's okay, but I'm confused as to what could have caused this. The wheel bearings were checked recently, but I'm not sure if the spoke tension has ever been checked. Theories?

64 1497291167234 66 1497291161052 80 1497291180872

My guess is a failure of the casting. This is one that Moto Guzzi should replace no charge. Spokes should fail before that hub.

Man, hate seeing things like this. Glad to hear everyone was OK. Due to the age of the bike, any manufacturer will likely say "show us the service records indicating what was done for spoke tightening since new." Which of course isn't covered or are dealers trained in. Was the bike serviced by a dealer? If so, start there.

My guess is one of the following;
1. Loose spokes. Being loose long enough to cause as oscillation and complete wheel failure, including the hub.
2. Too tight of spokes causing hub failure.
3. OEM hub failure as John states above.

Man, hate seeing things like this. Glad to hear everyone was OK. Due to the age of the bike, any manufacturer will likely say "show us the service records indicating what was done for spoke tightening since new." Which of course isn't covered or are dealers trained in. Was the bike serviced by a dealer? If so, start there.

My guess is one of the following;
1. Loose spokes. Being loose long enough to cause as oscillation and complete wheel failure, including the hub.
2. Too tight of spokes causing hub failure.
3. OEM hub failure as John states above.
Thanks for the reply!

Is spoke tensioning/checking on the maintenance schedule? I downloaded what I thought was the service manual and I couldn't find any mention of it. If it was my bike, I think I'd be checking those regardless but my dad doesn't do any of his own work, and would have just rolled it into the dealer for all prescribed maintenance. Hopefully the mechanic would have the presence of mind to at least give them a squeeze, but...

Have you ever heard of this happening before?

My guess is a failure of the casting. This is one that Moto Guzzi should replace no charge. Spokes should fail before that hub.
Seems to me it's out of warranty, no? I'm thinking the only way it'll get replaced is if its MHTSA mandates a recall, and that's not likely.

Paul

Seems to me it's out of warranty, no? I'm thinking the only way it'll get replaced is if its MHTSA mandates a recall, and that's not likely.

Paul
It certainly is, and if the spoke maintenance schedule was disregarded then it's on him. To my mind, if the spokes do not appear on the schedule it's on Guzzi - warranty or not, the hub is not a wear item and should last the life of the machine.

It certainly is, and if the spoke maintenance schedule was disregarded then it's on him. To my mind, if the spokes do not appear on the schedule it's on Guzzi - warranty or not, the hub is not a wear item and should last the life of the machine.
Sure it should last the "life of the machine" .......... whatever that means. Maybe this incident signals the "end of life" for this machine????
Nothing is on Guzzi beyond the warranty period unless the NHSTA declares a safety or emissions problem. That will only happen if those that experience the problem report it to the NHSTA, they do a detailed investigation, and can identify the fault as an issue that the manufactures caused.

Paul

Sure it should last the "life of the machine" .......... whatever that means. Maybe this incident signals the "end of life" for this machine????
Nothing is on Guzzi beyond the warranty period unless the NHSTA declares a safety or emissions problem. That will only happen if those that experience the problem report it to the NHSTA, they do a detailed investigation, and can identify the fault as an issue that the manufactures caused.

Paul
What you're saying is strictly, legally true of course. Since you are arguing for absolving Guzzi of all responsibility here, I assume you're okay with hubs failing every 20,000 kms or so? I think that's rather more maintenance than I am comfortable with! If you don't mind, I'll post my address and you can ship all of your replaced hubs to me, I will be happy to repurpose the aluminum therein.

What you're saying is strictly, legally true of course. Since you are arguing for absolving Guzzi of all responsibility here, I assume you're okay with hubs failing every 20,000 kms or so? I think that's rather more maintenance than I am comfortable with! If you don't mind, I'll post my address and you can ship all of your replaced hubs to me, I will be happy to repurpose the aluminum therein.

I'm only reciting the law as I understand it. Without laws there is chaos.
Perhaps some battery acid was splashed on the hub buy mistake, how do we know?
Perhaps someone hit a pot hole or other obstacle at speed, how do we know?
Perhaps the spokes were misadjusted by someone, how do we know?
Perhaps the hub was weakened by excessive heat because of a bearing issue, how do we know?
etc., etc., etc........

Report the incident to the NHSTA, let them do the investigation and determine if the manufacturer is at fault. If they find that to be the case a recall will follow. Simple really.

So tell me...... how would you define the "end of life" of a Guzzi????
I'm thinking it may be when the cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle........ dunno!

Paul

Back