• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

hydraulic clutch mod on Cali ?

killer

Just got it firing!
What have folks been using successfully for a hydraulic clutch lever mod for the modern California models? (I've got an '03 Cal Aluminum)

I hear MG Cycle used to sell a kit, but I don't see it available any longer in their catalog.

Then I discovered a link on this website pointing me to a Magura Jack hydraulic clutch conversion kit, however naturally Guzzi isn't listed.

Any insight, oh great wise ones?

killer said:
What have folks been using successfully for a hydraulic clutch lever mod for the modern California models? (I've got an '03 Cal Aluminum)

I hear MG Cycle used to sell a kit, but I don't see it available any longer in their catalog.

Then I discovered a link on this website pointing me to a Magura Jack hydraulic clutch conversion kit, however naturally Guzzi isn't listed.

Any insight, oh great wise ones?

Here's some shots of the Magura set-up I did on my unit. I got it here - americandirtbike.com. The kit was for Kawasaki KX250/500. I had to special order an additional 53" hyd. line some other fittings & fluid. It took a bit of fiddling to get it installed, mostly making a crescent moon shaped spacer for the handle bar lever perch.

A couple cautions: 1) make sure if you order that your are getting the later style with the thicker slave cylinder pull rod (as me how I found out I had the early , thinner one) 2) be sure the kit has the "long" style clutch lever. They come in long & short versions

Works well with the 10-spring V11 Sport clutch

GD

DC24_4B42E3C7.jpg

8F8D_4B42E3C7.jpg

Nice work, as usual, George.

So what is the difference between "thin" and "thick" pull rods (dimensions, please)? Some of us scour fleabay and motoshops trash bins.

Heh Shane,

I'm not at the shop so I can't measure the new one, but the 1st one I got had an actuator rod about as thick as a thinner wheel spoke - maybe a about 1/16" with a threaded on nipple sort of thing on the end. The later type is about 1/8" with an integral machined end, mo-betta. The 1st one snapped after a couple months, lucky not too far from the shop.

George

Shane said:
Nice work, as usual, George.

So what is the difference between "thin" and "thick" pull rods (dimensions, please)? Some of us scour fleabay and motoshops trash bins.

George,

It looks like a practical solution. I'm wondering if the master cylinder model intended for the Harley Sportster would have fit the handle bars without making a crecent-shaped piece to adapt to the bigger diameter bar? I guess the real trick is getting the correct ratio and correct throw at the slave cylinder. At my best measurement the clutch cable has approximately a 15mm travel on my Cali Aluminum. I'll have to take the same measurement on my friend's Sportster. If they don't match, I'll investigate your solution.

You don't happen to know the actual Magura part numbers for both the master and slave units? I don't want to end up with a short lever or the thin rod on the slave.

Thanks,

Words from Gordon @MGCycle.com for the hydra-slave;
I have the newest version which has improved sealing (double seals and o-rings as I recall), and I've also picked up seal kits for them which weren't offered before. I hope to have them up on the website this week, don't have pricing worked out yet.

Attachments

• ClutchSlv-Tonti5spd.jpg
    ClutchSlv-Tonti5spd.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 724
Ah Ha... here it is.

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2554
(Looks properly beefy)

...mate that with a Magura model 225.52

(Hydraulic brake and clutch lever, black painted housing with a (22 mm) clamp, polished alloy lever, thread for brake light switch and hole Ø 8.1 mm or thread M8 for rear-view mirror, thread M10x1, plastic brake fluid reservoir. Obtainable as righthand and lefthand model.

- stroke 12 mm
- piston-Ø 13 mm
- polished lever blade
- hole-Ø 8.1 mm for mirror )

.... And that might be just the solution we're looking for.

Attachments

• mg5050a_sm.jpg
    mg5050a_sm.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 691
Eric, both MGC and I both sell a Brembo M/C to match the front brake M/C.

Back