• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hydraulic Clutch on '81 G5

WCGuzzi

Tuned and Synch'ed
Please - Let's not turn this into a hydraulic clutch bash. I am looking to understand whether my observation that clutch arm freeplay goes away after a few shifts represents what is called the tendency to "self adjust" on other threads on this topic. Basically is this is a probnlem, or just "is"?

I did the hydraulic clutch conversion on my G5 project. (I've been happy feel and reliability of the clutch on my V11, and I wanted the left and right bars to match). After a few weeks sorting out various things, I've noticed that after several shifts, the normal bit of "freeplay" at the clutch arm is gone. Ive adjusted the clutch screw numerous times to get to spec (say 3/16" gap) between the clutch arm and the slave cylinder fitting), but after a few shifts the tolerance vanishes. When I push the clutch arm forward to observe the freeplay, there isn't much or any. It is not at the hard part of the push that engages the clutch, but there is no gap between the clutch arm and the slave cylinder fitting. I cannot rule out that the clutch pushrod is in contact with the clutch - though there wouldn't be very much force. I can restore the normal freeplay by pushing the clutch arm back, but it will vanish again after a few shifts.

Yesterday I went to the local ACE Hardware and got a selection of springs to supplement or replace the current one. I figure the clutch spring doesn't act on much lever arm, and the O-ring seals on the slave cylinder have more friction than a cable clutch. For those that have them, I observe the slave cylinder is hard to move in and out by hand, and FWIW, I think it is meaningless to talk about the relative magnitude of cable friction vs. frictional losses of hydraulic fluid in the lines - it is all about the O-rings and they've got to have a bit of friction or they'd leak. I'm not much of a mechanic, but this is consistent with the clutch slave cylinders I've had on cars, as well as hydraulic brakes on cars and bikes which seem to me to be the same concept. Anyway I made sure the slave cylinder walls were clean, then added a second spring that fits outside the stock spring. The combined spring force was definitely stiffer, and perhaps the 150% of stock that you'd get by summing the coil wire gauge of the two springs). Ther second spring had no observable impact on clutch pull or the tendency for the freeplay to go away. I would have to significnatly increase the spring constant or move to an extension spring at the end of the clutch arm for this to change. This is easily doable.

Before moving on to other and stiffer springs, I though I'd ask people knowledgeable with this sort of thing (esp folks who have done this conversion and had acceptable clutch life) whether this represents a problem (clutch pushrod causing short clutch life), or whether this just goes with the territory and hydraulic clutches behave this way?

I'll post this over on the other forums as well. I appreciate your help.
Dennis

Attachments

• Guzzi done.jpg
    Guzzi done.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 170
Back