• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I might need a new engine.....

TheMuffinMan

Tuned and Synch'ed
Good news is I'm ok. It was caused by a metal water pipe cover which was kicked up by my front wheel, and lodged between the hole in the road and caught my oil pan. I high sided at about 15 mph and flew over the bars. The water pipe cover (heavy iron thing) was 10-15 feet down the road next to my bike when it was all over.

I also just put stucchi crashbars on a few weeks ago so that was a bit lucky!

Attachments

• MuffinManSchrapnel.jpg
    MuffinManSchrapnel.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,003
Ouch! Was the bike still running or had it turned itself off? If the latter you'll probably get away with a new sump if you're lucky. Very nasty though. Are you insured?

(Edit) Just looked at the pic made bigger and it looks liek you'll also be needing the spacer and some of the other munt in the sump. If it turned itself off though the crank and all the important bits should still be OK.

Pete

The bike was running for about 10-15 seconds after it was on it's side (the oil was all out by then) and then it shut off. So I'm not sure if the engine is toast. Though I might've blacked out for a few seconds so it might've been running longer.

Yes I have full coverage insurance and if they total it they buy me a new bike of the current model year (very glad now I paid extra for that).

Glad you're all right man. Good thing it didn't take your leg off or you weren't going much faster!

Photo hosted here added above... otherwise... :blink:

TheMuffinMan said:
The bike was running for about 10-15 seconds after it was on it's side (the oil was all out by then) and then it shut off. So I'm not sure if the engine is toast. Though I might've blacked out for a few seconds so it might've been running longer.

Yes I have full coverage insurance and if they total it they buy me a new bike of the current model year (very glad now I paid extra for that).

Toast, I'll come out and say it, You might want to put a claim in to your local road or Public works department as well. That cover obviously was not on correctly.

draidt said:
Toast, I'll come out and say it, You might want to put a claim in to your local road or Public works department as well. That cover obviously was not on correctly.

I'll second that. My wife drove threw a pothole covered with water and I threw in a claim for the hell of it. They covered a new rim and tire. I seem to recall it was a fairly painless prcess. I think I probably lodged in a service complaint that evening so they had at least one complaint on record (even though there were a string of cars sitting at the edge of the road with blown tires and damaged rims).

Cory

It's a bit hard to make out if anything in the sump has been damaged. If not, and there was no bearing damage caused by the engine running with little or no oil, (Pull the sump and spacer and then remove a rod cap. The big ends are always the first to die of heat stroke!) you'll probably be able to get away with the sump alone. In Oz thats a 300 dollar part. A new engine? Sit down. $11280.00!!!!!!!!!

If they total it you can get a 2010 which IMHO is a better package.

Pete

YEOWCH!

Is that a 2v or QV Griso you were riding? Sorry, don't know enough of the differences btw them to recognize which it would be just from the pic of the demolished sump...

Well insurance is going to total it so that makes me happy. Will probably pick up something cheaper for the winter and get another Griso in the early spring or late winter. I really really liked the Griso, and if I still feel strongly enough about it at the end of the winter then I'll get another one (while also having 6 months of savings to put for a down payment).

Glad the bike will be replaced and that you're ok. Nice, sexy red 2010 Griso on the floor at Moto Nexus in Hendersonville. Fly down to NC, ride the Smoky's and Blue Ridge, have the break in service done and then ride home. It'd be a very happy ending to your story :lol:

Stay safe and Cheers!

Back