• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Idiot driver kills 4 motorcyclists

tgarlick

Tuned and Synch'ed
Not sure if you all saw this (http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-ocotillo-motorcycle-accident,0,3049653.story) but some idiot in a gold Honda Civic down near San Diego (about 80 miles east) tried to pass a pack of about a dozen motorcyclists out on their club's 10-year anniversary ride, forcing a drunk guy in a white van coming the other way to swerve into the pack. Four motorcyclists died, including one husband and wife pair who were riding 2-up, as well as the drunk guy's passenger. The gold Honda Civic was undamaged and sped off without stopping. The CHP are looking for him now.

Be careful out there...

-Tim.

WIthout trying to underscore the horrific situation, it appears to me that all parties are at fault here. Large groups of motorcyclists also have a responsibility to allow traffic that wants to travel faster than the group speed to overtake safely. The staggered formation of the group doesn't help, and often they travel well below the speed limit, especially if corners are involved. It's hard enough to get through on a motorcycle without trying to do it in a car.

Still, this sucks, and my heart goes out to those involved.

I agree completely, Dave. I also see this with cars. People will decide they're not going to pass, but will run up right behind the car ahead and leave no room for anyone else to work their way through. I think it's just the totaly self absorbed, inconsiderate nature of our society today. But that's another rant...

I'm confident the idiot will be found, they usually are in these cases.

Not meaning to make this tragedy into a controversy....BUT....
I agree that large groups of bikes can be annoying. However, as someone who spends 95% of my riding time on two lane desert highways, I think in this case the bikes had little to do with the outcome. First of all, there were about a dozen Harleys. If they rode bunched up, side by side, they would not have been any larger than a tractor-trailer, and could have been passed easily, had there been room. If they rode spread out, the car, which is small, could have probably gotten in between to pass them gradually.
As for desert highways you are usually lucky if you have a foot of paved shoulder, after which you are in deep soft sand.....really bad for bikes. If they all lined up along the right edge, it still doesn't allow the car a clean pass if there is oncoming traffic.

Finally, I had this exact scenario happen to me while I was driving a large pickup towing a travel trailer. A car passing me at a high rate of speed, hit another coming towards me. The car coming towards me started to turn into me, then realized I was much larger, and just stopped. Neither made any effort to move out of the way of the other, even though they easily could have pulled off into the desert. Luckily, Nothing happened to me.

I don't think the riders could have done anything to prevent this accident.

Back