• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ignition cutting out SP w/ Dyna ignition

Rafael

GT Reference
Last September before leaving to the Nevada rally my bike wouldn't start. So I checked for spark and found none. So I took off the tank and found a loose wire connection, it rand from one of the coils to the little black box. Pushed it in all the way, and tied up some loose wires to the frame and the bike started and ran great for the whole trip and then some. It cut out once again on the freeway but this time I can't find any loose wires. It seems to run okay now but I'm not riding it. Can a Dyna ignition performance degrade over time or does it just crap out? Any suggestions for figuring this thing out? Both coils lost spark the first time.

Those dyna wire connections aren't the greatest. You should disconnect and reconnect every one doing a thourough inspection and replace any connectors that are suspect. I've never seen degraded performance on a dyna. It either works or it doesn't.

Thanks JZ- she's going into surgery today. Hopefully I don't find a damaged wire that's a permanent attachment to the black box. Has anybody found a source for mini bullet connectors? I've had no luck.

Be sure to check your engine kill switch, I went through that last summer on my SP till i finally bypassed it.

Ditto on prior post saying the Dyna's usually work or they don't. There have been a number of problems reported with the wires, though. I know you said both coils didn't work before-but it is possible the situation has changed, & coils are famous for being OK until they get real hot & then go south-until they cool off. Also agree the kill switch can be an intermittent problem, though I gather the SP switchgear is not as bad as the really crap T3 stuff. My T3 kill switch started shorting out on the rain after only a few years.

Both times that the spark cut out the bike was cold, the first time was in my drive way and the second time just starting out about 3 miles from home on the freeway. While on the freeway, I tried jiggling the kill switch to try the regain contact but it didn't help. This pattern seems to point to poor wiring but I won't be able to test drive it for a while since the rear drive is off for new seals.

OK, coils seem unlikely, as is anything else that wouldn't effect both sides. I wouldn't completely rule out the kill switch, or something in that circuit, even though jiggling it doesn't seem to help. Forgot another possibility, namely the crappy ignition switch that come on these early Tontis, both yours & mine. Did you try jiggling the key when you were having the problem? Most bikes of this age have had the stock ignition switch replaced by the much more reliable Zadi, available from MG Cycle & others for about $25.00. I still have the original, but that bike has always been garaged & WD-40 shot in to the key holes whenever washed.

I think I have the updated to the Zadi ignition switch already, in any case I replaced the switch a few years back it came with the folding button top key. I don't remember the idiot lights cutting out when the ignition cut out. Are these on separate circuits?

Back