• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I'm coming out

Glad you had a good time. There was one Leo on the way down, but I saw him in time to get down to 55. Mike and Greg were following a ways back,(probably to keep me from trying to go faster than I should) and after a while I pulled off thinking he'd got them. Nope. :lol:
I put right at 4.7 gallons in, btw, and Va. Sean said I had to be on fumes because the last gallon isn't useable. Probably a good thing I didn[t try to make Wrightwood. Glorious day, and I'm lovin this Scura..

A whole gallon is unuseable? Sounds hard to believe. I'd believe a half gallon maybe. Except maybe going up or downhill depending on where the pick up is in the tank. Did the reserve light come on? Glad you're loving your new toy.

Or-maybe the light didn't come on because the tank hadn't gotten that low yet. Capacity is 5.5 gas-& maybe unuseable is a lot less than 1 gal. Just a thought.

guzzibob said:
Or-maybe the light didn't come on because the tank hadn't gotten that low yet. Capacity is 5.5 gas-& maybe unuseable is a lot less than 1 gal. Just a thought.

<shrug> Possible, but most guys say that their light comes on by 120 and definitely 140 miles. I'll check it out the next time I pull the tank. Probably a burnt out bulb or broken wire. Hopefully not a $ensor. ;) See ya the next time around!

Chuck,
On my Scura on the freeway I have gone 160 before light came on. I stopped for fuel at 175. I can't remember exactly how much fuel it took. I believe 5.1.Maybe a little less. Note that that is standing straight up and maxed. The tank is 5.8 by the way. The light normally comes on at 140-150. And almost always if I fill soon after the light comes on I can add 4.5-5.0 gallons. I consistently get 36-38MPG and feel comfortable going 150 to 175 miles before I start looking for a gas station. Even at a low 30 mpg you should get 150 miles out of a tank. It has showed signs of starvation a couple of times when really low while on a tight corner, but I have not walked yet. One day I will take some gas with me to see how far it will go. I would push yours a little farther before you decide the light isn't working. I thought the same about mine but finally got the light. I always have more fuel in the tank than I would have guessed.
Nice to meet you the other day by the way. We will have to ride again sometime.

Nice meeting you, too. I'd only seen one other Scura in my life, and out here they're as common as fleas on a dawg. I unhooked the harness this morning, and the thermistor checks open instead of around 1200 ohms. So.. it's either a dead thermistor or broken wire in the harness. Pfttt. Don't need no stinkin low fuel light. :D I'll just get fuel at 150 miles.

Chuck was out for his last ride before heading back. Thanks for stopping by Chuck! See you next round in Dec.

KT57 said:
Chuck,
On my Scura on the freeway I have gone 160 before light came on. I stopped for fuel at 175. I can't remember exactly how much fuel it took. I believe 5.1.Maybe a little less. Note that that is standing straight up and maxed. The tank is 5.8 by the way. The light normally comes on at 140-150. And almost always if I fill soon after the light comes on I can add 4.5-5.0 gallons. I consistently get 36-38MPG and feel comfortable going 150 to 175 miles before I start looking for a gas station. Even at a low 30 mpg you should get 150 miles out of a tank. It has showed signs of starvation a couple of times when really low while on a tight corner, but I have not walked yet. One day I will take some gas with me to see how far it will go. I would push yours a little farther before you decide the light isn't working. I thought the same about mine but finally got the light. I always have more fuel in the tank than I would have guessed.

Good info for Chuck & other Scura owners. One thing we were trying to figure is how much of the 5.8 you can actually get out. Someone told Chuck you can't get at a whole gal, which I find hard to believe. If you have filled it once to 5.1 gal, obviously not accurate, at least for your Scura. Is that the most you have ever put in, 5 or 5.1gal?

guzzibob said:
KT57 said:
Chuck,

Good info for Chuck & other Scura owners. One thing we were trying to figure is how much of the 5.8 you can actually get out. Someone told Chuck you can't get at a whole gal, which I find hard to believe. If you have filled it once to 5.1 gal, obviously not accurate, at least for your Scura. Is that the most you have ever put in, 5 or 5.1gal?
Yeah , I believe so. I will test it today and tomorrow and see what it will do. I will post the results.

Well here are the results
-fuel light on briefly at 159 miles then off
-on solid at 164 miles ( this seems to be typical behavior)
-first sign of starvation 185 miles (+21 miles with light on)
-filled at 198 miles 5.17 gallons (+34 miles with light on)
Note that it did not like the last 2 miles at all. (I was carrying a gallon of gas by the way)
I have heard that people would lean the bike over to get the unusable fuel when they ran out of gas. If it is a 5.8 gallon tank then it seems to surely have .8 gallons not usable. Too bad.
Still confirms my comfort of going 175 miles before looking for fill up.
Looks like 38.2 MPG with freeway and city riding/lane splitting. Not flogging it but not trying to conserve gas.
34 miles on the yellow light. Or about .8 to .9 of a gallon of fuel with the light on.

Now the question.
How to get that extra .8 of fuel. That's about 30 miles.

By my calculations 5.8-5.17=.63 gal not useable. Not great, but better than the full 1 gal someone else estimated. Probably unavoidable in a FI bike. By comparison my '78 T3 carb gravity feed has a listed capacity of 6.0 gal-& I have actually crawled in to a gas station & managed to put a full 6.0 gal in it. Good to the last drop.

On my math I was erring on the side of caution. The last mile it was starting to get questionable on keeping it running.
I also fill up with the bike upright. I am not sure how much extra gas I get this way. I'll check that out.

Back