• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Importing new Guzzi's to the USA from Europe??

CGuzzi

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
HI all, apologies if this has been discussed, but I could not find a topic specific to importing newer bikes to the states...

Anyway, I have a 2020 V7III Stone S (#138), which I purchased in Europe so it's set up for European standards and emissions. I'm getting ready to move back to the US, and it's pretty clear the EPA and CBP has some strict rules about this kind of stuff, however, I've found a few dealers selling the same bike so I'm wondering if anyone on GuzziTech has gone through the process of importing a newer guzzi from Europe before that is already being sold in the US.

I read the EPA documentation, and it sounds like there is a path to get exceptions, but any first hand knowledge is greatly helpful and appreciated!

On the plus side my two other bikes are 30 years plus, so should be okay there, but I'd hate to lose my V7 due to only so many being made worldwide.

Piaggio USA should be of help on this one. Reach out to Customer Care there and let us know what they tell you.

Unfortunate news. Piaggio got back to from both the HQ in NYC, and in Italy and unfortunately confirmed the EU version is not eligible for an EPA approval. Here is what they had to say:

Hi, Mr. Colt, thank you so much for your message; we have soon contacted our homologation expert colleagues and the customer service, both here in the Italian offices and in the Piaggio Group Americas offices.

All they confirm that:

• From Italy: The European Moto Guzzi V7 have different technical specifications from the US version. If the motorcycle has European approval, it is not possible to issue a document to make it approved in the USA.
  • From Piaggio US (New York): We contacted the customer earlier this week concerning their request. Is correct: the Euro MG V7 has different technical specifications. A document cannot be issued to approve such action. We have added After Sales Service in Pasadena/California as well in our conversation to see what action can be done.
And more, our experts add that it would be expensive to carry out modifications to the motorbike to adapt it to US regulations, both for emission and for road circulation; it is more convenient to sell the motorbike in Eu country and buy a new one directly in the States.

Hoping to have been helpful, we send great cheers from Italy.

Mrs. Graziella Teta/Wide Piaggio Group Senior Editor.

Piaggio got back to from both the HQ in NYC, and in Italy and unfortunately confirmed the EU version is not eligible for an EPA approval.
Depends on the State too. Many are pretty easy to get through. Here in CA, it just must have more than 7500 miles on it, even without a CARB certification.

Depends on the State too. Many are pretty easy to get through. Here in CA, it just must have more than 7500 miles on it, even without a CARB certification.
Thanks Todd. Are you suggesting I might be able to bypass the FED aspect, and do the import through CA. I'm planning to land in LA anyways.

Thanks Todd. Are you suggesting I might be able to bypass the FED aspect, and do the import through CA. I'm planning to land in LA anyways.
Welcome, and my friend Carlo brought his V7 III in from Italia via Canada. I can connect you with him via email. Send me a note direct; info @guzzitech.com

Our states are all different. I assisted a friend with my truck and trailer in importing from Canada a Euro spec BMW motorcycle. It was a months long nightmare. I do not recommend it. All the proof is on you the owner. There’s literally 14 compliance stickers that the USA requires be on the bike or other proof that it’s in compliance. (Emissions, etc.)

BMW Germany refused to help. BMW N. America refused to help. My friend hired a vehicle importer for $1800 to assist and they even got it wrong. They made him buy a Euro spec speedometer from BMW Germany for $600, install it, and video it working while he rode the motorcycle. This turned out to be unnecessary. We had a 6 inch thick loose leaf notebook with all his correspondence, contracts, and proofs needed. We were detained, but eventually allowed entry by US Customs but as it turned out, we shouldn’t have been. They should have held the bike for 30 days.

So he gets it home to Long Island NY and after all that NY State refuses to register it. The VIN is not a U.S. allowed VIN. They refer him to the Feds in Washington D.C. Several frustrating calls later, he gets someone in DC who says it’s not possible to do. By chance, some motorcycle small talk extends their conversation. It turns out, the Fed bureaucrat grew up on Long Island 2 miles from my friend, and lo and behold he suddenly figured out a way to get it all approved.

I even left out some twists and turns and frustrations we endured, but you get my point.

Back