• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Instrument pod delamination v7-850

DK90

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
I've searched here with no luck.

Has anyone experienced delamination of whatever the plexi/polycarbonate is coated with on their instuments? I circled the problem area as it just rained here and the other spots are just from water.

My tach is starting to bubble and flake off in a few spots. I'm very diligent about cleaning and I never leave foreign debris on there for long. I have no idea what could have caused it. From the look of the parts catalog, the glass isn't separate from the gauge itself, so I doubt it alone can be replaced. The bike is over two years old and has 19k miles, so its not exactly new.

Maybe there is something out there than can prevent this from happening further?

Cheers

IMG 1140

Search condensation here. It's a plastic lens, not glass unfortunately. Not much you can do to prevent it.

If that's your biggest problem with a Guzzi you need to buy a bottle of very good booze and celebrate!
It's been incredibly reliable. I commute on it daily and have never had any warranty work done, and nothing more than scheduled maintenance from the day it rolled out of the showroom. So, yes I guess this my only 'problem' lol. I'll probably just let it take its course before I shell out $750 for a new tach. Perhaps it comes apart and I can remove the coating and just polish it up.

I wonder if you can open it up and replace it with a piece of glass?
That would be something. I would assume it comes apart, rather than it needing to be completely replaced if something ever goes wrong with it. However, there are no individual part numbers for its components. I’m going to wait until it gets bad enough that I have nothing to lose and see if I can take it apart.

Can be done if it is of similar to the V7III construction.
I did it to fix a speedo & tacho needle errors but did not change the glass - I've had no condensation issues. Usual caveat - do at your own risk.
Have a look at: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/false-speedo-readings.23518/post-198067
It is the same part number, so I suppose it is the same. Thank you for the reference, this is great news. I will have to open it up and try to clean the plastic of this flaky coating. Who knows maybe a piece of actual glass can be fitted. I will post the results.

Here’s an idea.

If you don’t relish gouging into your bezel like that, consider contacting this gentleman. He is a great guy and does excellent work.

Thanks, Scott. I'll check that out.

Update. Here's how it looks now. I think I may just wait until the coating completely flakes off, then just clean it up with plastic polish. It's not really 'broken' so I guess it's best not to dig into it.

IMG 1153

Update. Here's how it looks now.
Disgraceful Piaggio.
Speedo is OK? I have the capabilities to adjust miles (only upwards) to any E4/5 V7/9 models for those who get their speedo replaced.

Disgraceful Piaggio.
Speedo is OK? I have the capabilities to adjust miles (only upwards) to any E4/5 V7/9 models for those who get their speedo replaced.
Speedo is fine. My assumption is that this is a defect rather than environmental since they're both exposed to the same conditions. I came out to my bike after work last night and the condensation had formed under the coating and really seemed to accelerate the issue. It went from two spots to nearly the whole thing in minutes. Its hard to read in the daylight so I'm hoping I can get it all off soon.

Thanks, Scott. I'll check that out.

Update. Here's how it looks now. I think I may just wait until the coating completely flakes off, then just clean it up with plastic polish. It's not really 'broken' so I guess it's best not to dig into it.

View attachment 34343
I had the exact same thing happen (only on the tach) this past summer after riding through an absolute deluge. I took a clean cloth and warm soapy water and washed it for about 10 minutes until all of the gunk came off. It has been fine ever since. I suspect it is some kind of coating on the plastic that just fails over time.

I had the exact same thing happen (only on the tach) this past summer after riding through an absolute deluge. I took a clean cloth and warm soapy water and washed it for about 10 minutes until all of the gunk came off. It has been fine ever since. I suspect it is some kind of coating on the plastic that just fails over time.
Interesting, it has been quite wet here lately. I will see if a good wash will help remove it. Thanks, for the tip. Yes, it does seem to be some kind of scratch resistant hard-coating.

So the coating is on the external side then and not the internal side?

If this is the case, I would just get a good plastic polish and polish the remaining coating off. It will certainly look better and be readable that way.

Then just keep a coat of carnuba wax on it and you should be good to go.

Back