• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Insurance costs in Europe

Holt

High Miler
GT Contributor
I'd very much like to know your motorcycle insurance costs, and how they are setteled.
What will have impact, so as age, area, experience, power output, weight (of the bike, wisehead!) ?

To simplify, full coverage insurances only.

TIA.

Just renewed my insurance with Carole Nash: £266 for full cover for retired 50+ year old who's had a full bike licence for 30+ years (yep, thats me!). Thats for my Griso and 4 'classic' bikes kept in a secure garage in a rural location with low crime rate. Cover includes breakdown recovery for UK & EU. Insurance is valid in EU for up to 90 days at a time, with no limit on how many trips I make. It also gives me minimum legally required 3rd party cover for me to ride other peoples bikes. Last year when I still had my LeMans as well it was more.....£290-ish I think.
I guess mine is kept reasonably low 'coz I'm classic bike rider who just happens to have a modern bike too. C.Nash specialize in classic bike insurances & I don't think I get anything like such a fair deal from mainstream insurers.
The location, risk of theft and inexperience of rider all make for high insurance premiums. I think its almost impossible to get fully comprehensive insursance for a high value bike in London these days unless its garaged and has all the latest approved alarms & immobilizers fitted.

I'm paying about 1600€ for full ("all-risk") coverage on my Norge, in my 2nd year of ridership and ownership.

What counts here is
* how long you've had your license (less than 2years like me means your cost just about explodes)
* how many bonus or malus points you've accumulated - each year without claim you earn 5% bonus
* engine size, not how much poneys the engine makes!!
* overall bike model's claims stats
* whether or not there's the word "sport" in the bike's name (one insurance refused to insure a V11 Sport when I was looking, a V11 Lemans would be OK...)
* where you live
* for some, whether or not you have a garage

what all that money buys me? Jeesh, I don't really know. From what I recall, anything I might need but hope I won't. Ever. ;)

BTW, Anders, what's the FEMA tag in your signature stand for? How are you involved with them?

Oh, yeah, mine's a policy that allows me to make professional use of my bike.

Say... we're not getting to know what you're paying, eh?? :p

For my B11 I have to pay 75 euros a month for full coverage insurance, having my license for 4 years now.
They don't look at your driving history in your car. Some companies do, but they have other restrictions.

Don,t try to get the cheapest insurance, there's allways someone who has a better and cheaper one. Like on a plane, there's allways someone who has payed less for his ticket on the same flight.

I can imagine that there can be a big difference in cost between all the different countries we come from. Also in the price of a new Guzzi.

RJVB wrote:
Say... we're not getting to know what you're paying, eh?? :p

Of course.

About €300 a year, full coverage here and 90 days inside the EEC. Outside for 45 days, I think.

What will determine the insurance costs are mainly
- choice of insurance company!!! Some of them really won't insure bikes, but as they cannot refuse by law, they do it the hard way.
- power/weight relation. Of the bike insured...
- living conditions ( I'm in the most expensive zone among 4 well, actually 7, but there's no difference among the last four...:huh: )
- age ( I'm 50+. Meaning one foot in the grave...)
- age of the bike. 30 yrs + will give you a significant lower rate. :laugh:
- license for more than 5 years will lower the costs.(35 for me)
- only for private use, and not allowed to driven by anybody but me, except for test driving if put up for sale.
- A V11 would be about €400 for me.

My son, who's 29, drives a Speed Triple. License for 5 years now, will have to pay about €1200, full coverage. But he's got a rebated insurance through Triumph. Such insurances are available for BMWs and Hondas also.

As being a member of the national drivers association (SMC), I'm also a FEMA-member.

Where are the Germans and the Benelux riders here?

I am down €460 at the end of the year for full coverage.
Got my license back in 1979, haven't had an accident for the past 10 years (more than that in fact but that's all they asked for) so I am at maximum 'Bonus' (I heard that this bonus thing is something we -french- are the only ones to have in our legislation). Meanin gthe more and the longer you have driven without a problem the less you'll pay. Let the wreckless cretins pay for their foolishness! I like that disposition!
I use my bike for leisure even though I am allowed to use it to go to work. If I was using it MAINLY for my job then it would cost me more.
It is stored in a garage and I live not in Paris but in the countryside (although only 40 km from the capital)
I just got over 50 (that helps too!)
Also my bike was bought new (if it had been older I would have had an even better deal)

With that I am covered for almost anything. I get a replacement bike if mine if dwon or if I have an accident.
My passenger is covered for almost anything else too.
What's nice is that even though my car is registered with one insurance company, AMV (my bike insurance) accepted to insure me keeping all the 'bonus' accumulated at the other insurance company.
I had asked my car insurance company to put my Stelvio with them too but they could not match AMV which is clearly (after a long research) the cheapest in France. They were €180 over the AMV price.

Wonder B, did you check Assor? For me, they were clearly cheaper than AMV. Both have a so-so reputation in the handling of claims, though.

As to the bonus thing: other countries have similar things. In the Netherlands, there's a "no-claim", a bonus you lose when you make a claim. What's unique in France, I think, is the fact than this malus thing can get so big that you're kicked out and that only very few companies will accept to take you. And this can happen for any kind of claim, including ones where you were not responsible at all...

Well some people seem to be accident prone... don't they? LOL
Even if that's not your fault, some keep putting themselves in the worst situations all the time!

I don't know the insurance company you mention and will take a look at it.
I don't know about problems with AMV... I have been with them for years and never had to complain.

Wonder B wrote:
I am down €460 at the end of the year for full coverage.
Got my license back in 1979, haven't had an accident for the past 10 years (more than that in fact but that's all they asked for) so I am at maximum 'Bonus' (I heard that this bonus thing is something we -french- are the only ones to have in our legislation). Meanin gthe more and the longer you have driven without a problem the less you'll pay. Let the wreckless cretins pay for their foolishness! I like that disposition!
I use my bike for leisure even though I am allowed to use it to go to work. If I was using it MAINLY for my job then it would cost me more.
It is stored in a garage and I live not in Paris but in the countryside (although only 40 km from the capital)
I just got over 50 (that helps too!)
Also my bike was bought new (if it had been older I would have had an even better deal)

With that I am covered for almost anything. I get a replacement bike if mine if dwon or if I have an accident.
My passenger is covered for almost anything else too.
What's nice is that even though my car is registered with one insurance company, AMV (my bike insurance) accepted to insure me keeping all the 'bonus' accumulated at the other insurance company.
I had asked my car insurance company to put my Stelvio with them too but they could not match AMV which is clearly (after a long research) the cheapest in France. They were €180 over the AMV price.

Concerning the bonus; no, you're not alone. Let be I cannot see how much it is, I'm on maximum too.
A friend of mine crashed three R1's in just as many years. He can't afford the insurance any more. Likely the best that way...

When I got yhe Norge last September, I could have insured it for £96 fully comprehensive according to a check on one of the web search sites. But that was the cheapest, not the best.
I ended up paying £170 for the Norge and the Spada III, both comprehensive.
Ilive just outside London, but inside the M25 ring, if that helps anyone. I have had my full bike licence for 40 years now though, and have had no claims in the last 10.

I don't have full coverage (that's pretty rare here), just third party damages, theft, fire and such. 219€/year.

Zapa wrote:
I don't have full coverage (that's pretty rare here), just third party damages, theft, fire and such. 219€/year.

Eerh......

Where's "here" ?

(It's a good thing to set "Location" in you profile information. ;) )

Being called Iñigo I thought it was kind of a giveaway... ;)

Edited the data anyway to show I live in Pamplona, in the beautiful northern province of Navarra, Spain.

29€ per year, how about that... This is a vintage byke type of insurance for third parties coverage. I might not have 180HP under mu bum, but I feel rather confortable with that.

Rgds

ec_56 wrote:
29€ per year, how about that... This is a vintage byke type of insurance for third parties coverage. I might not have 180HP under mu bum, but I feel rather confortable with that.

Rgds

Well..

What's to say. That's cheap!
We've got vintage insurances here as well; about €130 a year full coverage for a 30 year+ bike. That's OK. But 29....... :laugh:

Here in Cyprus Fully Comprehensive insurance is practically impossible to get for any rider on any bike.

I was however lucky to get it as my employers are big customers of the Commercial Union, so the CEO has his 2 BMW GS's fully comp, and as I am a named rider on those bikes and as I am in charge of the motor pool I managed a little bit of arm twisting and got Full Comp on my Stelvio.
I'm 51 with 30+ years experience and a Cyprus Professional Drivers License.
The cost; €669 :eek:

3rd Party would have cost me around €200

Full comp is mainly priced on the value insured for, €16500 in my case.

Incidentally it's possible for a 21 year old with a learner license to get 3rd party on any bike (ie: Hayabusa, R1, Fireblade, ect)
18 year olds used to be able to get it but now we're in the EU they've become a bit more sensible! :woohoo:

I was talking to the Yamaha Sales Manager a few years ago and at the time he'd sold 30 R1's, 6 of his customers were dead...slow learners here. :S

To put it as your pseudo suggests: you're in a process of natural selection? ;)

Apart from costs, how are insurance companies treating their customers? I've heard multiple stories here how people got kicked out even after a few "non responsible" accidents (for which legally they ought not suffer any prejudice). Is that the same everywhere?

Back