• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is this normal !

Brooksy

Tuned and Synch'ed
had a look through old posts but can't find any answers so apologies if this has been asked a gazillion times.:blush:
had my Stelvio since Oct 2014 and now covered just over 3,000 miles of the 23k on the clocks but never ridden it hard due to weather and road conditions that is until the last few weeks and over the last 1,000 miles the bike has devoured over 1 litre of the finest engine oil, I have checked for visible leaks but none to be found so I am assuming she is a very thirsty girl.:wondering:
IS THIS NORMAL?

many thanks for the reply, any hints on where to start checking would be grateful.
Cheers

I'd start with a leak down test. That will let you know if the rings and valves are sealing properly. And by carefully listening with a stethoscope, which isn't sealing.

had a look through old posts but can't find any answers so apologies if this has been asked a gazillion times.:blush:
had my Stelvio since Oct 2014 and now covered just over 3,000 miles of the 23k on the clocks but never ridden it hard due to weather and road conditions that is until the last few weeks and over the last 1,000 miles the bike has devoured over 1 litre of the finest engine oil, I have checked for visible leaks but none to be found so I am assuming she is a very thirsty girl.:wondering:
IS THIS NORMAL?
Mine used from top to bottom of the dip stick marks on a recent 3.5k trip. It's a '13 NTX with 20,000km Clicks. I was wondering the same thing. The old Quota 1100ES only used a drop on the same trip (60,000km). Someone suggested checking the air filter to see if I've blown it there?
Alan NZ

cheers folks will check the air box etc at the weekend and look into a leak down test as this is unfamiliar territory for me

had the bike checked at the weekend and stripped out the airbox and no signs of oil anywhere, this has got me totally baffled and as much as I love the Stelvio I can't live with a bike that looses that much oil in such a short distance so I will be part exing as soon as I find a suitable replacement.
thanks for your help guys ;)

If the missing oil is not in the airbox you should do a leak down test.
The motor should not use that much oil. There is something wrong. It is either a mechanical issue or someone forgot to put the last quart of oil in at an oil change. Oil does not just disappear.

Just to be sure.....how do you know you are down 1 litre. There is always been a debate on how the oil is measured....with the dipstick all the way in, or just resting on the lip. That alone could make a difference of a litre if you are measuring it differently than the previous owner.
Oil does not just disappear, you are either blowing it into the blowby collector and then burning it through the air box, leaking from the bike somewhere, or burning it out the exhaust and one would think you would see that especially given the low miles you have put on it.

always check the oil as per the manual with the dipstick screwed all the way in.
3 weeks ago whilst out for a bimble the oil can symbol came on along with the red triangle and was topped up with 450ml of 10w 60
on good Friday I headed up to Scotland for a long weekend and after approx. 780 miles the warnings appeared again so again I topped up the oil with 450 ml but this time the level was still low and the lights did not go out so I bought a litre of oil and the bike took another 4oo ml to achieve the correct level and the warnings to go out.
at no stage over the weekend did myself or any of the riders notice any signs of burning oil and as I keep the bike very clean it was easy to see there are no visible leaks.
I have decided to change the oil and filter at the weekend and take her for good ride out and see what happens

cheers KD will do that from now on however it still doesn't explain where the oils going

cheers KD will do that from now on however it still doesn't explain where the oils going
Agreed, that is not good. Can't offer any advise other than to do the leakdown test but even then you should see signs if you are loosing that much oil. What does the sparkplug look like. Would think if you were loosing that much it should be covered. Unless there is an oil leak that you can't see but can't see that happening as it should be pretty obvious.

Agreed, that is not good. Can't offer any advise other than to do the leakdown test but even then you should see signs if you are loosing that much oil. What does the sparkplug look like. Would think if you were loosing that much it should be covered. Unless there is an oil leak that you can't see but can't see that happening as it should be pretty obvious.
the plugs are as clean as a whistle, don't you just love Italian bikes.
this has got me totally baffled

If over full, or ring blow by you will get oil in the airbox, you aren't. If rings or valves are passing oil, you should see oil on the plugs, you aren't. So if it isn't burning or pushing oil, where is it going? Are you sure it isn't a mis-read of the dipstick, or the oil hadn't settled when you checked the oil? I'm not a fan of checking oil warm. Let the bike sit on the center stand for a few hours, if not overnight to get an accurate read.

cheers John will give that a try, I must admit the dipsticks not the easiest to get along with (and that's the one on the bike and not me)

The fact that you are getting the oil pressure light is the concerning part, and when you add oil it goes away. To burn 850 ml of oil in 780 miles you would be putting up smoke screens. You may just have a faulty sensor reading (???) and you keep putting oil in it based on a poor dipstick read. My 2012 takes a good 5 minutes for all the oil to settle when hot to get a good read. Amazing what the mind will make you see.
Worth while looking at the air filter again to make sure it is not puking it out. Also, is the plug in the oil drain hose for the airbox there at the bottom of the bike. If not, you may be loosing the oil as your riding. Would think that you would see some remnants of it at the end of the hose.
This one truly is a puzzle, but if there is anything that I have learned on this bike is that the simplest solution is usually the correct one.

the plug is in the end of the pipe and it looks as if oil has never been in the tube as its that clean and same for the airbox and filter

the plug is in the end of the pipe and it looks as if oil has never been in the tube as its that clean and same for the airbox and filter
If you can, make sure the hose is connected to the airbox. There should be a little there that is drained at each oil change. Maybe 10 to 20 cc.

Back