Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

It followed me home...

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by MJPTexas, Dec 15, 2012.

1. MJPTexas

MJPTexas Cruisin' Guzzisti

I stopped at my Triumph dealer today to buy a new battery.

He had a pristine 2006 Griso (4100 miles) in the used bike line. It is (was) a 2 owner bike. The dealer actually registered it as his personal bike and rode it for about 4 months.

Long story short, it is now sitting in my garage next to my 2011 Bonneville and my 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200r. I've ridden it a grand total of 18 miles. So...

What have I gotten myself into?!

2. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Oh, dear. Most just fall in love with them and neglect their other bikes.

3. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Whip the tank off and pull the fuel pump out and make sure it doesn't have a 'Just about to pop off' fuel hose on the filter. Ensure it has the last map update and the TPS has been re-set. Go ride. Play with suspension settings when you have got used to it. If the speedo goes wonky after rain or washing remove the speedo sensor from the CARC and dry it with a hair drier then seal it with silastic around where the cable goes in. Before too long get the swingarm and shock linkage bearings packed properly with grease.

That's about it. Other than that they're bulletproof.

Pete

4. Brutto

Brutto Just got it firing!

Congrats!

5. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Curious, in the US the first Griso's were sold as 2007 Griso's even though they were sold in mid 2006. I wonder how yours ended up as an 2006.

6. MJPTexas

Here it is shortly have arriving home (apologies for the camera phone quality).
    Can someone identify the aftermarket can for me?

Attached Files:

7. MJPTexas

No clue. VIN does indicate a build year of 2006.

8. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Build year is not the same as model year.
    It could be that it was improperly titled as an '06, or it could be a non-US (Canadian?) model. But I am pretty sure there were no '06 Griso's in the US. As mentioned, they were sold in '06, I bought mine in June or July, as '07 model year bikes.
    But your title actually says '06, huh?

9. wittangamo

wittangamo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Looks like a Mistral.

[​IMG]

10. MJPTexas

Yep, that's it. Thanks for the help.

11. kmac33

kmac33 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Congratulations and welcome to the Famiglia. You will love the Griso.

12. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

Your impeccable taste in motorbikes is appreciated here . . . . I've owned a couple of Hinckley Triumphs too (a tangerine-over-white T100 & a volcano red-over-black Speedmaster). Three entirely different but completely satisfying rides. Congrats on the addition!

13. MJPTexas

I finally had a chance to take some pictures:

And with its garage mates:

I also had a chance to really ride it Saturday. Put about 230 miles on it. Rode out to Llano for BBQ beef ribs at Coopers, and then down to Luckenbach to listen to a little music before heading home. Weather was cool. 50s to low 60s and really windy. Was really stable in a 20 mph plus side wind. I will say that I doubt if I'll be riding it really fast as 70 mph into that same wind was a little tiring. Bars may need replacement but the rest of the ergos were great. Best stock motorcycle seat I've ever experienced. Fuel economy was an unpleasant surprise - 37mpg. But in general, an easy and very enjoyable bike to ride.

Attached Files:

14. jiltedjohn

jiltedjohn Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yes, the fuel consumption is a bit poor for me too,mostly down to the low gearing. Seeing as i only ride for pleasure it's not that big a problem , unless filling stations are a bit thin on the ground .

15. MJPTexas

Re: It followed me home, 6 months later

The Griso has been in my stable for 6 months now, so an update seems appropriate.

I have put well over a 1,000 miles on the Grsio, surpassing 6,000 miles this weekend. Let me share some observations

1) Todd asked about the model year (2006). The bike was titled as a 2006 model. It was originally sold by a dealer in San Antonio TX.

2) I understand the performance aspects of the bike much better now. 6,000 rpm+ provides completely different experience. I originally thought the performance wasn't that much better than my Triumph T100, but since I've started exploring the higher rev limits I've changed my mind. The Griso does have more punch.

3) I've gotten used to the ergonomics. I was a bit concerned with the wide bars, but after living with them for a while I've decided they work ok.

4) I've thought a couple of times about adding a fly screen, but my head currently sits in clear air so there isn't any turbulence. I've decided to leave her unscreened for now.

5) Only annoyance is an intermittent red triangle/SERVICE message. The guys at AF1 racing say is related to the after market pipe and the oxygen sensor. I was told a modified program would fix it (and improve the performance). I'll give that some consideration.

In general, the more I ride this bike the more I like it. The other two now spend a lot more time in the garage than they used to. As anyone who has a Griso already knows, the bike always attracts attention. The Guzzi experience can be pretty addicting.

16. Harry in OZ

Harry in OZ Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi Mike
    Congrats on the bike.
    As Peter Roper said drop the fuel pump out and replace the hose, when I did my 2006 the hose just pulled off without loosing the clamps.
    Also check the rear of the motor at the clutch slave cylinder?.
    Here is were they are
    [​IMG]
    If they are normal bolts they need to be replaced with counter sunk head bolts.
    Size is M6x16.
    Also when in there grease the Swing arm & shock linkages as from factory there is next to none.

Harry