• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Jet-Hot Ceramic coating on griso exhaust?

cjlewis610

Tuned and Synch'ed
I hope this hasn't been covered already. I did search on of the forum and did not come up with a prior discussion on ceramic coatings. I saw the "all black" header and crossover ceramic coating in black and thought it looked rather interesting.

Anyone tried or thought about this on a Griso yet?

I could only find some photos of a gent with a V11 Sport and it looked okay. A little odd with the endcans still stainless but otherwise not bad looking. I was looking to see if anyone had any experience with this yet?

-Jason

Yes. I had the head pipes, collector and heat shield ceramic coated on my Griso. Performance Coatings out of Auburn, WA did the job for me. I had the pipes coated in Satin Titanium (close in color to the CARC unit on the Griso 1100) and the heat shield coated in Satin Fresh Blast (close in color to the exposed frame spars.)

DSC00276.JPG

DSC00286.JPG

DSC00284.JPG

DSC00279.JPG

DSC00277.JPG

Thanks for the snaps Porterhouse! I am kicking the idea around and that color came out pretty well. I think black would look okay but then again I prefer to keep things pretty stock looking.

Oh, and I decided to follow your lead on the Ventura bag setup for now. Thanks for posting you thoughts and pictures.

lol, is that a T-bone decal on the tank in picture number 4?

I had the exhaust on the Breva done about a year agoi. Initially looked great, but now the black is dissapearing at the hottest points near the engine leaving a splotchy look and it scratches very easily.

I'll take some pics of current problem tonight, but here are some just after installation.

cjlewis610 wrote:
Thanks for the snaps Porterhouse! I am kicking the idea around and that color came out pretty well. I think black would look okay but then again I prefer to keep things pretty stock looking.

Oh, and I decided to follow your lead on the Ventura bag setup for now. Thanks for posting you thoughts and pictures.

lol, is that a T-bone decal on the tank in picture number 4?

In my opinion, the coating really complimented the core Griso color scheme. I will definitely repeat it on my replacement Griso, but I don't like shiny stuff, so take it as it is.

You'll like the Ventura luggage system, plenty of storage and no detriment to riding characteristics. What sold me on it was that I could return the Griso to its core design beauty in about 10 minutes. It is not a system that you have to leave in place when you are not overnighting. In a word, versatile. Moto International has a Ventura bag on closeout for $35 last I was up there. An opportunity for a thrifty Guzzista to save a buck or two.

Finally, of course that was a two-fer steak on both cowlings... T-Bone or Porterhouse, I can't say... Keeps my knees from rubbing the paint off. Available here for the coolest of Grisos.

Semper Griso :blink:

SD

apart from the aesthetics, what are the benefits of ceramic coating. For a numpty like me, I need to be told:huh:

According to the coater...

Unlike header wraps, ceramic coatings do not hold potentially damaging heat & moisture around the part. Rather, the surface temperatures are actually reduced, extending the life of the part. When cured, a very effective corrosion inhibiting film is formed that protects the part against oxidation and imparts excellent chemical resistance that further extends part life and enhances appearance. In addition, it possesses excellent thermal barrier characteristics, providing a dramatic reduction in radiated heat. This means reduced under-hood temperatures, accelerated exhaust gas velocity and a longer life expectancy for the entire exhaust system.

Something to think about if my pipes get that gross gold and black thing going. Until then, I'll just enjoy mine the color they are. With only 4500 miles on the bike, perhaps it's too soon to see how ugly they will get.

I think the pipes are a standout feature on the Griso. Therefore, they should look relatively good. The color choices the dude with the black one in the pics made are great. I'm not really a chrome guy overall.

The steak sticker sort of surprised me. I thought the rider wore off the paint with his knees! Having only put a few miles on my Griso to date, I might need to put a clear protector on that area if my knees start to affect the paint.

Thanks so much for these pics and ideas...such an inexpensive fix to the pipe problem if it bothers me...

jdelv said:
Something to think about if my pipes get that gross gold and black thing going. Until then, I'll just enjoy mine the color they are. With only 4500 miles on the bike, perhaps it's too soon to see how ugly they will get.

I think the pipes are a standout feature on the Griso. Therefore, they should look relatively good. The color choices the dude with the black one in the pics made are great. I'm not really a chrome guy overall.

The steak sticker sort of surprised me. I thought the rider wore off the paint with his knees! Having only put a few miles on my Griso to date, I might need to put a clear protector on that area if my knees start to affect the paint.

Thanks so much for these pics and ideas...such an inexpensive fix to the pipe problem if it bothers me...

Wonder what all that coating costs?

BTW, re tank protection, I have put this on all my Guzzis. Originally went with the static-cling versions, but now put on 3M set. Fits Griso perfectly and virtually invisible: http://www.thetankslapper.biz/

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
jdelv said:
BTW, re tank protection, I have put this on all my Guzzis. Originally went with the static-cling versions, but now put on 3M set. Fits Griso perfectly and virtually invisible: http://www.thetankslapper.biz/

Bill

Pics? I've tried putting on these protectors and they look bad after I install them. What makes this product different?

-Jon

jdelv said:
Bill Hagan said:
jdelv said:

Bill

Pics? I've tried putting on these protectors and they look bad after I install them. What makes this product different?

-Jon

No clue as to "What makes this product different?" from others you may have tried, but it works for me. I have no native talent in such things and am skeered of screwing up, so I slavishly follow directions to the point of ridiculousness.

I'll hunt up pix, tho doubt if they'll help much. With exception of one or two tiny air bubbles that I missed and don't care about, the upper and lower film really is almost invisible until you get into macro-focus lens range.

BTW, have answered some of your e/m's and PM's on other matters. Never heard back ... presume you got 'em. If not, can probably retrans if still issues.

Bill

Bill, I'm not getting any of your emails. What am I missing?!

Try jdelv86 (at) gmail (dot) com directly...

Back