• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Joined and Hello

AGL

Just got it firing!
Hi, Greetings from the UK. I bought a Moto Guzzi Le Mans new for £2000 early in 1978 (it wasn't known as a Mk 1 then, of course), riding it from a dealer in South London back to the Manchester area. After being knocked off that at the end of 1978 by a kind driver who drove straight across a STOP sign, I bought a restored 1978 Le Mans Mk 1 eighteen years ago and still have it.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you survived the stupid car driver. I've had a couple get me and it isn't fun.

After being knocked off that at the end of 1978 by a kind driver who drove straight across a STOP sign, I bought a restored 1978 Le Mans Mk 1 eighteen years ago and still have it.
Glad you got back on the horse. ;) Please post some pics and your info to our Registry below. Enjoy the site!

Thank you, John. I ended up sat on the deck with my back against his front bumper (fender), like an outsize ornament. The bike was underneath the car, totally trashed at the front up to the frame. I had it taken into Sports Motorcycles at Manchester, which at that time was a Moto Guzzi dealer but also prepared the Ducatis for Mike Hailwood's return to Isle of Man racing. The repair took three months and when I went to collect it, I was in full leathers and ready to go. I took a look at the bike, which looked like new, and asked them to make me an offer for it, since I realised my heart had gone out of it. It took years before I felt ready to own a big bike again. I hope that you were luckier!

Thank you, John. I ended up sat on the deck with my back against his front bumper (fender), like an outsize ornament. The bike was underneath the car, totally trashed at the front up to the frame. I had it taken into Sports Motorcycles at Manchester, which at that time was a Moto Guzzi dealer but also prepared the Ducatis for Mike Hailwood's return to Isle of Man racing. The repair took three months and when I went to collect it, I was in full leathers and ready to go. I took a look at the bike, which looked like new, and asked them to make me an offer for it, since I realised my heart had gone out of it. It took years before I felt ready to own a big bike again. I hope that you were luckier!
Not luckier, but kept riding. One took 5 shoulder surgeries to correct the problem.

Not luckier, but kept riding. One took 5 shoulder surgeries to correct the problem.
Ow! Hope that all is as well as it can be after that. The roads in much of the UK are now cratered with potholes after fifteen years of neglect as our maintaining local authorities have been starved of funding and not permitted to raise more funds locally. They are in a worse state than I can recall from 55 years of riding and that was before most of the UK's motorway system was built, so in those days the ordinary roads were taking the bulk of all traffic. They are a major reason for my being very careful of when and where I venture out, since it is easy to split a car tyre open or smash an alloy wheel or road spring (I have suffered all of those multiple times in recent years), so the consequences for a motorcyclist can be catastrophic. Daylight and dry roads are needed as that small puddle of water can conceal something far worse. When I think of how I used to ride hundreds of miles at night on unlit roads, I shudder at the thought of trying that in the 2020s.

Ow! Hope that all is as well as it can be after that. The roads in much of the UK are now cratered with potholes after fifteen years of neglect as our maintaining local authorities have been starved of funding and not permitted to raise more funds locally. They are in a worse state than I can recall from 55 years of riding and that was before most of the UK's motorway system was built, so in those days the ordinary roads were taking the bulk of all traffic. They are a major reason for my being very careful of when and where I venture out, since it is easy to split a car tyre open or smash an alloy wheel or road spring (I have suffered all of those multiple times in recent years), so the consequences for a motorcyclist can be catastrophic. Daylight and dry roads are needed as that small puddle of water can conceal something far worse. When I think of how I used to ride hundreds of miles at night on unlit roads, I shudder at the thought of trying that in the 2020s.

Did you receive some compensation for injuries?

Back