• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

KalGuard -Engine Guard

Rafael

GT Reference
I've been using KalGuard Engine Guard as an additive in my transmissions (5 speeds) and rear drives for years, but not in the motor. Has anybody used it in the engine? Any opinions regarding using molybdenum disulfide additive in lieu of oil with API rating of SG? API SG has been supersede by SM.

thanks

Stop using moly everywhere. It is good for gears, but bad for bearings. I noticed bearing failure on a 98 EV from use of Moly. Just use good synthetic oils and you will be better off.

Has Guzzi stopped specifying moly for rear drives in the new bikes? They spec 'd it for the rear drive in the Tonti bikes.

john zibell said:
Stop using moly everywhere. It is good for gears, but bad for bearings. I noticed bearing failure on a 98 EV from use of Moly. Just use good synthetic oils and you will be better off.

Was the failure in the engine or trans? How did you figure out it was the moly that caused the problem?

I remember years ago one of oil company was adding graphite to its motor oil. That product disappeared from the market after a while. Moly product is still around, granted not in a premixed motor oil. I just checked for moly bearing grease, a bunch of companies are still making that stuff. Is there a difference between moly grease and an moly oil additive?

Rafael said:
Has Guzzi stopped specifying moly for rear drives in the new bikes? They spec 'd it for the rear drive in the Tonti bikes.

john zibell said:

Was the failure in the engine or trans? How did you figure out it was the moly that caused the problem?

I remember years ago one of oil company was adding graphite to its motor oil. That product disappeared from the market after a while. Moly product is still around, granted not in a premixed motor oil. I just checked for moly bearing grease, a bunch of companies are still making that stuff. Is there a difference between moly grease and an moly oil additive?

Bearing failure was in the rear drive where it is specified to be used. Inner bearing surface was extremely pitted (from the sulfur in Moly)from the moly. No moly is specified in the new CARC units, and it it was I wouldn't use it. BMW has used shaft longer than Guzzi and has never specified using Moly. A good synthetic oil is better than any moly additive. I wouldn't use a grease with moly either. Just good lithium or a synthetic product.

Cool, thanks, I’ve been using lithium grease as well for bearings. I suppose for race vehicles that get frequent rebuilds the moly additive might make sense.

Rafael

There are still SG rated oils available, you just have to look. I don't use "moly" or any other additives in my oil but I do use SG rated oils. The newer oils have less stuff that mucks up your catalytic converter. I no longer have a catalytic converter and even if I did I would care more about my bearings and valve train then it.

Guzzi never specified moly for tranny or engine oil, hence I would & never have used it there. On the other hand they did specify moly for rear ends in my Tontis-so I have done so, for almost 170k in my T3, 75k in my 1000S. The original gears are still in there, & per fairly recent inspection still serviceable. The moly has always been used with dino based rear end oil, as I found that synthetics in tranny/rear tended not to stay where they were supposed to in these bikes-but dino oil did. Going back to dino oil mostly or completely ended the leaks/weeping that synthetic oils created. Not saying that would happen to you, but did for me. Given how well the dino oil/moly combo has performed in the rears, I'm not about to change now. Naturally in my Norge I use synthetic only without moly, also as specified.

Back